Non-stick pans

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
ncrocker
Contributor
Contributor

Non-stick pans

Post by ncrocker »

Are non-stick pans safe?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Non-stick pans

Post by Stavia »

Which kind exactly? There are several different versions.
If you mean the Teflon coated kind that flakes off with use, I personally wont use them. If you mean the vitreous glass ones that are inert and dont decay, thats a different story.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Recently researched this issue for a client and found that the best option is to use stainless steel pans and so I am gradually replacing all of our pots and pans with... you guessed it - stainless steel. Non-stick pans should be the first to go and are sometimes the hardest to part with. Copper and aluminum were also advised against.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Non-stick pans

Post by Stavia »

Sara wrote:Recently researched this issue for a client and found that the best option is to use stainless steel pans and so I am gradually replacing all of our pots and pans with... you guessed it - stainless steel. Non-stick pans should be the first to go and are sometimes the hardest to part with. Copper and aluminum were also advised against.
Yip, I only use stainless steel.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
xactly
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by xactly »

I have some carbon steel pans made by Matfer Bourgeat. You season them before using them the first time, and they are essentially nonstick thereafter. You can also use seasoned cast iron for nonstick cooking, but I am leery about iron absorption.

Carbon steel is also known as black steel. These pans are commonly used in restaurants. They are heavier than coated aluminum nonstick pans but don't have the issues with the nonstick coating. They also sear food and produce great fond.
ncrocker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ncrocker »

Thanks for the replies!
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Sara wrote:Recently researched this issue for a client and found that the best option is to use stainless steel pans and so I am gradually replacing all of our pots and pans with... you guessed it - stainless steel. Non-stick pans should be the first to go and are sometimes the hardest to part with. Copper and aluminum were also advised against.
Ncrocker, this is a great question. The chemicals used to create that "non-stick" surface can significantly add to our toxin exposure burden.

Sara, I have also researched this area within the Functional Medicine community. Stainless steel and cast iron cookware were recommended. What are your thoughts on cast-iron? I use both.

Thanks!
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Examine.com has a thorough, balanced article on this topic. Cooking in cast iron pans definitely increases ingested iron.

I think this article persuasively makes the case that increased iron spells trouble for human health in the absence of clinical anemia.
GLS18 wrote:
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Great article Marc on cast iron pans. I will keep this for future reference. I do use a cast iron pan... about once a month for cooking frittatas - making sure to clean carefully before and after use. Until your article the only reference I had was that Dr. Oz... several years ago... said they were ok to use.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

MarcR wrote:Examine.com has a thorough, balanced article on this topic. Cooking in cast iron pans definitely increases ingested iron.

I think this article persuasively makes the case that increased iron spells trouble for human health in the absence of clinical anemia.
GLS18 wrote:
Thanks for the articles Marc. I appreciate the information.
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi