APOE4 friendly version of Bulletproof coffee?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: APOE4 friendly version of Bulletproof coffee?

Post by Anna »

HeatherLst wrote:FTO downregulates the IRX3 thermogenesis process—which essentially means it turns off the fat burning process.
Interesting. I never took the time to research FTO because I have so many other genetic surprises that seemed more important, and, being thin, the FTO gene actually has helped me believe that genetics aren't destiny (It gives me hope as a 4/4!). But you and Circular have definitely piqued my interest.
HeatherLst wrote:I also highly recommend FoundMyFitness. I love Dr Rhonda Patrick! She’s like a real life Paris Gellar (the super intense brainiac from Gilmore Girls.) She’s frequently over my head in terms of the information she shares BUT she makes it easy for you to learn without ever dumbing anything down. She also is APOE4 and is doing her own intensive research into the best lifestyle for it. Their reports are excellent.
I will definitely check this out!
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Update: I’ve been using grass fed butter and avocado oil for the last few days with good success. Tomorrow a friend is giving me a sample of sunflower lecithin to try in it. It’s supposed to have high levels of choline (which I always need more of) and is a good emulsifier. It’s also reported (anecdotal) to reduce cholesterol #s in many people. I’m hoping I can replace the grass fed butter with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

HeatherLst wrote:But my understanding was that APOE4 cuts saturated fats in the wrong place, which is why they’re okay for everyone else but bad for us. I’ve looked at so many reports for myself and my husband maybe I’m confusing it with one of the other genes?
I'll do a search, but if you are anyone has the research on this, I would be interested. I used to put coconut in my morning shake...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Delawarewhere?
New User
New User

Post by Delawarewhere? »

I too love my bulletproof coffee, however it did change my lipid profile a bit. However, if I don’t add an egg, butter or ghee, I resort to cream, which has sugar? I enjoy the consistency and flavor they all add. Which is the worse of the two evils? Black coffee is not an option for me. Did anyone discover anything since this post?
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Delawarewhere? wrote:I too love my bulletproof coffee
Greetings Delawarewhere? and welcome to the apoe4.info website! I too love my BP coffee and am constantly changing the ingredients. You are wise to monitor your lipid profile and make adjustments accordingly. Not sure I would make the switch to cream though... have you been using the Brain Octane and grass-fed butter combo? We are very happy that you have joined and posted on our site. If you would like to learn more about the science behind the ApoE4 gene and lifestyle factors please visit our Primer. Also, we would love to know more about you and what led you to our site so please feel free to share your journey on Our Stories. Looking forward to hearing more from you and again, a very Warm Welcome to you!
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Gillyp
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gillyp »

A warm welcome to our community Delawarewhere. I use heavy cream and do really well on it. Following the Metabolic Typing Diet I'm a Parasympathetic and need fat in my diet, so no surprises there. Cream works well for me. I too would love to hear more about your story, if you feel like sharing with us? I look forward to reading future posts from you.
ND, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
FMCA/Reversing Cognitive Decline - Pending Fall 2018