APOE4 friendly version of Bulletproof coffee?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I’ve been drinking bulletproof coffee most mornings since May, to help with a lot of travel and then because we didn’t have a kitchen for four months. It helped keep me on track and gave me focused energy all morning. Now though with everything returning to normal at home I’d like to continue it but without all the saturated fat. Between APOE4/4, PPAR and FTO genes, I really need to increase my mono and poly fats. I find the coffee a simple format to deliver fats that I can take on the go and ensure I’m getting enough each day. So my question is, what fats have you used or would you recommend beyond the usual butter and mct?

I find it super handy for fats in the morning, and I often add collagen to it too. I’d really love to find some replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APOE4/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: APOE4 friendly version of Bulletproof coffee?

Post by TheBrain »

I don't drink coffee, but I can say that avocado oil is fairly bland in flavor. It might be worth a try.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

This is something I have been wondering too. I'm also 4/4 with two copies of the FTO snp that has received the most attention in terms of increased appetite. I drink a modified version of a bulletproof coffee for breakfast most mornings, usually with a mix of MCT, coconut oil, and cream with stevia (and sometimes a dash of salt or grass-fed butter) -- sometimes with a spoonful of fish oil on the side. I know many ApoE4 carriers avoid saturated animal fats, but I think the jury is still out on this one. I personally do not avoid them and usually choose grass-fed or pastured varieties, preferably organic. (I save the collagen for later, since I think it might work against ketosis.) Honestly, I'm waiting for more proof that we really should be avoiding saturated animal fats. If anyone has this evidence, I'd love to hear it! I personally think sugar is the bigger danger. All I know is my fasting lipids are pretty good; my weight is almost too low; and I usually feel pretty darn good with my high-fat coffee breakfast. :D
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Anna wrote:This is something I have been wondering too. I'm also 4/4 with two copies of the FTO snp that has received the most attention in terms of increased appetite... I know many ApoE4 carriers avoid saturated animal fats, but I think the jury is still out on this one. I personally do not avoid them and usually choose grass-fed or pastured varieties, preferably organic... If anyone has this evidence, I'd love to hear it! I personally think sugar is the bigger danger. All I know is my fasting lipids are pretty good; my weight is almost too low; and I usually feel pretty darn good with my high-fat coffee breakfast. :D
Hi Anna,

I'm no expert on this at all, but your post got me to re-check my FoundMyFitness genetic report (Dr. Rhonda Patrick) because I recalled having some FTO mutations and remembered needing to focus on those more. I'm heterozygous on three SNPs there. I don't think I should quote in full, since people pay for them (I think it was $10?), but it does say of one of the SNPs:
This genotype has also been associated with obesity particularly in the context of a high saturated fat and low polyunsaturated fat intake. [Emphasis added]
That doesn't mention monousfas, nor what it would mean if one were high saturated fat and high polyunsaturated fat.

Of one of my other FTO SNPs she says:
is associated with a 1.3-fold increased obesity risk. Saturated fat may have a negative effect on blood glucose and insulin levels and increases type 2 diabetes risk in individuals with this genotype. [Emphasis added]
You might wish to purchase this report if you haven't yet to dig a little deeper.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Robhypno
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robhypno »

If our bloods are all good, is it then possible not to fear saturates?

Naturally if bloods change then perhaps it's time to re evaluate.

I've had great results with the full keto diet but struggled to maintain ketosis with the keto flex approach.

Just asking as I get a bit bogged down and confused with so much information at times
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

circular wrote:
Anna wrote:This is something I have been wondering too. I'm also 4/4 with two copies of the FTO snp that has received the most attention in terms of increased appetite... I know many ApoE4 carriers avoid saturated animal fats, but I think the jury is still out on this one. I personally do not avoid them and usually choose grass-fed or pastured varieties, preferably organic... If anyone has this evidence, I'd love to hear it! I personally think sugar is the bigger danger. All I know is my fasting lipids are pretty good; my weight is almost too low; and I usually feel pretty darn good with my high-fat coffee breakfast. :D
Hi Anna,

I'm no expert on this at all, but your post got me to re-check my FoundMyFitness genetic report (Dr. Rhonda Patrick) because I recalled having some FTO mutations and remembered needing to focus on those more. I'm heterozygous on three SNPs there. I don't think I should quote in full, since people pay for them (I think it was $10?), but it does say of one of the SNPs:
This genotype has also been associated with obesity particularly in the context of a high saturated fat and low polyunsaturated fat intake. [Emphasis added]
That doesn't mention monousfas, nor what it would mean if one were high saturated fat and high polyunsaturated fat.

is associated with a 1.3-fold increased obesity risk. Saturated fat may have a negative effect on blood glucose and insulin levels and increases type 2 diabetes risk in individuals with this genotype. [Emphasis added]
You might wish to purchase this report if you haven't yet to dig a little deeper.
Thanks Circular! Well you prompted me to check my Promethease report. It's the rs1421085 SNP where I have two copies of the obesity related variant. It looks like my memory was wrong about this being the SNP most associated with increased appetite, but it does have 1.7x obesity risk. I will need to find some time to investigate the interaction of saturated fat with FTO (as well as ApoE4), but I figure that as long as my lipid panels look good and I'm thin, it's not something I need to worry about. Thanks too for the tip on FoundMyFitness; I'll look into that.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Anna »

Robhypno wrote:If our bloods are all good, is it then possible not to fear saturates?

Naturally if bloods change then perhaps it's time to re evaluate.
That's my working theory. So maybe what is an Apoe4 friendly version of Bulletproof coffee depends on the individual.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Lindy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lindy »

circular wrote:
Anna wrote:I know many ApoE4 carriers avoid saturated animal fats, but I think the jury is still out on this one. ... If anyone has this evidence, I'd love to hear it! I personally think sugar is the bigger danger.
circular wrote:I'm no expert on this at all, but your post got me to re-check my FoundMyFitness genetic report (Dr. Rhonda Patrick) because I recalled having some FTO mutations and remembered needing to focus on those more. . . .You might wish to purchase this report if you haven't yet to dig a little deeper.
Hi Anna, I agree with you that sugar is of greater concern for most of us. In terms of fat consumption, I concur with circular, that you might benefit from getting a FoundMyFitness genetic report to see what your specific SNPs and polymorphisms have to say about it. I ordered one recently and found it remarkably inexpensive and informative compared to some of the other reports I've tried out there.

In my case, I have one of the polymorphisms circular is describing, plus a surprising SNP (apparently Nordic in origin) that indicates I absorb fat a lot more easily than most people, a tendency that would have helped my ancestors survive brutal winters. Since I am highly fat-sensitive, it’s possible that a little goes a long way for me. I'll be testing this out by modifying my diet to a more moderate fat level (apparently 30% of calories from fat, and 7% or less of saturated fat is what the research suggests for my genotype). It will be a trick for me to get sufficient calories on a lower fat, low-GI diet, but it will be interesting to see if it improves my health. I'll just think of snowshoeing in the Arctic tundra for motivation.

This report also had a lot more insights, including why I have a high sensitivity to sugar intake, and I had a few “aha!” moments, so I felt the small investment was really worth it.
APOE-ε4/ε4 on the voyage of discovery.
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

Anna wrote:
circular wrote:
Hi Anna,

Thanks Circular! Well you prompted me to check my Promethease report. It's the rs1421085 SNP where I have two copies of the obesity related variant. It looks like my memory was wrong about this being the SNP most associated with increased appetite, but it does have 1.7x obesity risk. I will need to find some time to investigate the interaction of saturated fat with FTO (as well as ApoE4), but I figure that as long as my lipid panels look good and I'm thin, it's not something I need to worry about. Thanks too for the tip on FoundMyFitness; I'll look into that.
FTO downregulates the IRX3 thermogenesis process—which essentially means it turns off the fat burning process.

But my understanding was that APOE4 cuts saturated fats in the wrong place, which is why they’re okay for everyone else but bad for us. I’ve looked at so many reports for myself and my husband maybe I’m confusing it with one of the other genes?

APOE4/4
HeatherLst
Contributor
Contributor

Post by HeatherLst »

I also highly recommend FoundMyFitness. I love Dr Rhonda Patrick! She’s like a real life Paris Gellar (the super intense brainiac from Gilmore Girls.) She’s frequently over my head in terms of the information she shares BUT she makes it easy for you to learn without ever dumbing anything down. She also is APOE4 and is doing her own intensive research into the best lifestyle for it. Their reports are excellent. It was actually a recent update to their reports that reminded me now that my travels are over I need to cut back on the saturated fats again.

APOE4/4