Meditation

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Meditation

Post by Karina52 »

Another no-cost possible prevention method: https://agelessartsyoga.com/instructor- ... meditation
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Meditation

Post by circular »

Karina52 wrote:Another no-cost possible prevention method: https://agelessartsyoga.com/instructor- ... meditation
Always nice to see Kirtan Kriya brought up again. I've always intended to find time to look closely at the studies of it that are mentioned. I got they impression they have been quite small, but maybe the one at UCLA is bigger. I'm a huge believer in meditation and wouldn't be surprised if this interesting form is shown to provide some unique benefits in larger studies.

It's been mentioned here a few times before. I haven't done it for a time now while I focus on other forms of meditation, but I like knowing it's in my bag of tricks. I've often used it more as an introduction into much longer and deeper meditations, but I'd gotten away from doing that. I think I'll bring it back in when I can manage the extra time. Thanks.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

particularly for me, 4/4 and very Type A....always on the go, I recognize that this is an important aspect of my prevention regiment.
I've just started and found it very grounding.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Karina52 wrote:particularly for me, 4/4 and very Type A....always on the go, I recognize that this is an important aspect of my prevention regiment.
I've just started and found it very grounding.
Good job Karina! There are so many ways to meditate. I think kirtan kriya is excellent for someone who hasn't meditated. The mudras and chanting can really help with focus.

I'm personally not one to do the very same type of meditation over and over again. I do whatever type that I know a little about that it seems I most need in a given moment for rebalancing. I have many types I still want to even try at all. Given that, I'm not an 'experienced meditator' with any one type, and there are drawbacks to that I'm sure, but I love the adventure of exploring the effects on me of different techniques. I like to emphasize this aspect because I think many get the feeling that meditation is kind of a fixed state of mind that gets repeated over and over, which to many sounds dull and boring. I find it far from that, although there are common denominators across different techniques.

All that said, I just wish I could find more time for it! My favorite length of meditation is about an hour at a time. Since I've been time stressed this year, I really should be at least just doing a 12 minute kirtan kriya each day. If I could make that my one that I do every day it would help and I could benefit from the consistency, and then I can layer in other kinds whenever I get the chance.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

I went through TM instruction (Transcendental Meditation) some 25 years ago, think I paid hundreds of dollars at the time... and while I have not meditated on a very regular basis, I have always used this technique when I have had a bad night sleep and needed to be fit the next day. I'd meditate for about 20 minutes and feel like I had slept through the night! It's actually an amazing feeling when you are in that space because with the TM version, I get to a point of perfect peaceful tranquility where my mind becomes a quiet blank and there are no thoughts.....very blissful. I have always equated it to shutting up the monkeys in my brain. It's VERY restorative and your breath and heart rate slows down quite a bit. There is plenty of evidence it is beneficial....in fact Bredesen has incorporated it into his protocol. I think I might do the Kirtan Kriya mornings and my TM in the evening. Can't hurt. https://www.tm.org/bredesen-announcement
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Karina52 wrote:It's actually an amazing feeling when you are in that space because with the TM version, I get to a point of perfect peaceful tranquility where my mind becomes a quiet blank and there are no thoughts.....very blissful. I have always equated it to shutting up the monkeys in my brain. It's VERY restorative and your breath and heart rate slows down quite a bit.
Yes it is amazing. I never want to leave. I am barely breathing at all. The other day I had fun using my Fitbit to track my heart rate during meditation. It went lower even than the whole night before during sleep (assuming it was accurate enough). Other kinds of meditation can get you there too.
Karina52 wrote:I think I might do the Kirtan Kriya mornings and my TM in the evening. Can't hurt.
That's a good idea too.