Cholesterol Targets

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Cholesterol Targets

Post by Karina52 »

I have not been able to find anything that gives me a clear answer regarding what the target values are for E4's to help prevent AD. I just had my cholesterol checked and total is 180, with HDL 65 and LDL 97 (I need to push that down more). My triglycerides are 89, Homocysteine 8.5....working on pushing that down further.
I'm going to add Niacin and see what that does for the LDL. I'm not taking any statins. Thoughts?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Cholesterol Targets

Post by TheresaB »

-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Karina52 wrote:I have not been able to find anything that gives me a clear answer regarding what the target values are for E4's to help prevent AD. I just had my cholesterol checked and total is 180, with HDL 65 and LDL 97 (I need to push that down more). My triglycerides are 89, Homocysteine 8.5....working on pushing that down further.
I'm going to add Niacin and see what that does for the LDL. I'm not taking any statins. Thoughts?
Here's a topic started today that is discussing questions similar to yours. Maybe it will be of assistance to you. I don't think there are lipid target values for E4's to prevent AD. I'm curious as to why you think your LDL is too high. Niacin has been used in the past for raising HDL. It's not that helpful in lowering LDL, doesn't have a great track record for reducing CVD or death, and can raise blood glucose. Here's a summary on niacin from Mayo Clinic.
Slacker
E4/E4
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

I have read the link on niacin from Mayo Clinic but am hesitant to put much weight to it because many of the studies regarding Niacin that I have seen are in combination with a statin, and time-released Niacin. I also believe that keeping cholesterol naturally low (without statins) as a result of diet and exercise IS indeed a benefit for E4's to prevent AD...as evidenced by Nigerians who have high prevalence of E4 and have no correlation to AD. Their diet must be keeping it in check. I take everything I read about APOE4's destiny with a grain of salt anyhow....it's only been known for a little over 20 years...how can anyone really KNOW whether, what we do, eat or supplement in prevention will help us escape the clutches of this horrible form of the grim reaper or not. The reason I want my LDL lower is because at a value of 97, I am just 3 points below the desired normal range. I am shooting for the 70's range. I am also homozygous for the MTHFR 677T gene.....so being 4/4, believe I have to give this fight all I've got. At age 66, the battle is on, and I intend to win it. p.s. My mother is 3/4 and at almost 93, only shows forgetfulness which became noticeable about two years ago. It has not progressed much and I still have very normal conversations with her.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Karina52 wrote:I also believe that keeping cholesterol naturally low (without statins) as a result of diet and exercise IS indeed a benefit for E4's to prevent AD...as evidenced by Nigerians who have high prevalence of E4 and have no correlation to AD. Their diet must be keeping it in check.
Here's part of a thread you may be interested in. It discusses the notion that genetic diversity may be playing a role among Nigerians in addition to environmental influences. Similarly, the Inuit are often referenced as justification for non-Eskimos eating a high fat diet, but it was found the Inuit have genetics that help them accommodate the high levels of fat while keeping LDL low. Even though my point is about the role genetic variance plays, that latter article suggests you're on the right track to be mindful of LDL. Why would not only the Inuit but also polar bears have evolved to optimize LDL in an environment that requires a high fat died unless it were of some fundamental benefit? (I'm inferring from the article that the bears genetic adaptation involved keeping LDL low, but that needs checking (!)) Paradoxically, I believe Julie has mentioned elsewhere that higher LDL may be protective as age increases. For now I'm in the camp that isn't too concerned with LDL level as long as my LDL isn't oxidized.

If you take other supplements, you might double check that none contain niacin. I took some niacin not realizing it was already added to a couple supplements where I wouldn't have suspected it. I had a pretty bad reaction, first the flushing and then a boatload of palpitations for two days. Luckily nothing that didn't just pass through with time but it was pretty uncomfortable. I wasn't even on a terribly high dose. You may want to review this web page, not that it settles anything, but it does raise some potential concerns with niacin.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.