Supplements while fasting

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Supplements while fasting

Post by Josiah »

In Dr. Bredesen's book the detailed description he gives of his patient Julie's regimen mentions that she takes some of her supplements during her fasting period. Certainly most softgels contain fat, but also if you read the non active ingredients in many capsules they seem to suggest that they might interfere with the fast. Also the active ingredients in amino acids and I would imagine many other supplements contain calories. I'm surprised Dr. Bredesen didn't discuss this concern.
E3/E3 male age 84
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Supplements while fasting

Post by TheresaB »

I think it boils down to what you are trying to accomplish with your fast. I've said this repeatedly - there is no fasting police. Do what works for you and will accomplish what you are trying to accomplish with the fast.

I do an annual 7 day fast, I take supplements during it and drink black coffee and bone broth. Horrors if you are a fasting purist. But I get my GKI down to a less than one, I'm pretty sure I increasd my HGH which in turn helps reduce visceral fat, TNFalpha, and IL-6. Last year I was having some gut issues and reset that.

I like to mimic my ancestors, they went for periods of time without food because they had to, but if they had morsels during that time, they probably ate them, so I feel my supplements are not hurting me/my fast objectives. But again, with specific objectives, it can be better to fast more strictly. It's personal and situational IMHO.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I recommend you read the book The Complete Guide to Fasting by Dr Jason Fung and Jimmy Moore.

-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Also, with just calorie restriction, not complete fasting, especially as long as the mTOR pathway is not activated, the body will turn to repair and maintenance processes such as autophagy, ketogenesis, DNA repair, activating intracellular antioxidents and generating Heat Shock Proteins.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4