Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Post by circular »

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but a potentially important comment was made at Medscape about being on LDN in the event of injury or surgery that might require opioids. Could pose problems?

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/894020
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:Hi all! I figured it was about time to update you on my LDN experiment.
I feel so much better. If you've ever seen Dr. Bredesen's talk where he describes our ApoE4 genotype, with it's RelA dominance, as being synonymous with North Korea (big guns at the ready) and the other APOE genotypes, with SirT1 dominance, as being in a hippie commune (peace, love, etc.), you'll understand when I say I feel like I've switched camps. My "fight or flight" is gone. It's like I'm in a constant state of meditative bliss. My energy is great. I'm doing strength training every day and my 4 mile daily walk has turned into at least two miles of spontaneous running interspersed with period of fast walking, in a HIIT pattern. The most exciting part has been the actual improvement in my immune function as measured by IgG. Despite every other month IVIG infusions, my IgG has been holding at the very bottom of the normal reference range, around 600 (reference: 600-1,500.) For the first time ever it was up by 100 points for a whopping 700 last month. My immunologist still encouraged me to get the infusion so I'm holding my breathe to see if I will maintain my level or even gain a bit. (The effects of the infusion are completely gone by 30 days.) My WBC count has always been below range, it's now in range, still near the bottom. Same with my complete protein. On a side note, I've recently learned that I'm cured of my babesiosis. I probably was months before beginning this treatment. I still have plenty of issues, but I'm making amazing strides and wanted to share in case this could be of benefit to others.
Hi Julie, My hope is that by bringing this thread back up, you and others who are taking LDN will post your experiences.
I just found a new doctor (YAY!!!!) who suggested LDN for my Hashimoto's. I'll be starting next week. How are you doing with LDN? Still taking it and still in a constant state of meditative bliss and also full of energy? That sounds wonderful.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread, but a potentially important comment was made at Medscape about being on LDN in the event of injury or surgery that might require opioids. Could pose problems?
Yep, and it happened to me just as I was starting my LDN journey. I was violently hit by two out-of-control snowboarders and ended up with a broken rib and a concussion. The rib injury was incredibly painful. I was very tempted to take narcotics, but I was more determined to persevere with the LDN. I settled for a few toradol injections, prescription strength ibuprofen, lidocaine patches, ice & heat. To be ultra cautious, those taking LDN probably carry a medical ID of some sort.
Hi Julie, My hope is that by bringing this thread back up, you and others who are taking LDN will post your experiences.
I just found a new doctor (YAY!!!!) who suggested LDN for my Hashimoto's. I'll be starting next week. How are you doing with LDN? Still taking it and still in a constant state of meditative bliss and also full of energy? That sounds wonderful.
LOL, not quite a content state of bliss, but I feel good. :D The amazing stage was in the beginning (dang it!) but the benefits have been sustained. If you're currently taking thyroid medication, be ready to titrate down or stop as necessary. I began with a 1.5mg dose of LDN and wa also using a small dose of thyroid medication (30mg Armour thyroid) for subclinical hypothyroidism and became HYPERthyroid within a few days. It was unsettling. My heart rate was around 120 BPM just standing still. As soon as I dropped the thyroid medication, I felt perfect. I'm just about to retest my thyroid with no medication and will share my results. My thyroid antibodies were inexplicably rising prior to the LDN.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote: LOL, not quite a content state of bliss, but I feel good. :D The amazing stage was in the beginning (dang it!) but the benefits have been sustained. If you're currently taking thyroid medication, be ready to titrate down or stop as necessary. I began with a 1.5mg dose of LDN and wa also using a small dose of thyroid medication (30mg Armour thyroid) for subclinical hypothyroidism and became HYPERthyroid within a few days. It was unsettling. My heart rate was around 120 BPM just standing still. As soon as I dropped the thyroid medication, I felt perfect. I'm just about to retest my thyroid with no medication and will share my results. My thyroid antibodies were inexplicably rising prior to the LDN.
Thanks for the warning about titrating down. I remembered that you had experienced the rapid heart rate when you started, and needed to lower your dose of Armour thyroid. Within a few days...WOW. I asked my doctor about possibly needing to reduce thyroid medication. I recently went from 30 mg to 45 mg of NP thyroid since my TSH has increased and other thyroid numbers are low have not budged in the year+ I have been taking it. Doctor indicated that any change in how I feel or in my thyroid med dose would be likely be after follow up in a month. Clearly she is expecting a slow response. But I will be aware that I may respond quickly and be ready to lower my dose.
I will be very interested in seeing what your thyroid re-test reveals. You dropped the Armour thyroid completely. How slowly did you titrate down from the 30 mg. ?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Thought I would add my own experience with LDN to the thread. Though it was prescribed for my Hashimoto's, and I do not know yet what effect it is having in that area, I am experiencing some wonderful and unexpected side effects. My sleep, which has been a problem for me since menopause has become much better. I often sleep 8 hours, which was unheard of before. This began shortly after I took my first dose of naltrexone and has persisted for about 75 days. Since I had already incorporated all of the sleep hygiene strategies-- -dark room, blue blockers , no electronics after 9 etc --and was already taking melatonin, and did not make ay other changes i know of, the LDN seems to be the likely source of this welcome change. My nights of poor sleep are now as infrequent as my night's of good sleep were before. The low dose naltrexone also seems to have had beneficial impact on my digestive system.
Julie G wrote: I'm just about to retest my thyroid with no medication and will share my results. My thyroid antibodies were inexplicably rising prior to the LDN.
Did you get your thyroid results, Julie?
My thyroid antibodies were also rising.
I lowered my NP thyroid on my own ( now at 15 mg) and am feeling fine.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So happy it's helping, floramaria! I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't retested my thyroid antibodies yet, but I have a stack of labs (ordered in June) that I need to have drawn. I'm still abstaining from my thyroid medication and feeling great. It will be very interesting to see what my numbers look like.( I promise to share as soon as I get them.) BTW, Dr. Bredesen is very excited about LDN and considering adding it to the protocol. I would go so far as to say that it's in my top 3 as far as helpful strategies.
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Julie G wrote:BTW, Dr. Bredesen is very excited about LDN and considering adding it to the protocol. I would go so far as to say that it's in my top 3 as far as helpful strategies.
I am on LDN as well--but more for SIBO. Seems like LDN does so many things! I'm happy to hear that Dr. Bredesen also thinks it is helpful. Do you know what he thinks is the mechanism for protecting us from cognitive decline?

BTW--the most noticeable effect for me is wild, crazy, vivid dreams. I'm getting kind of used to them. Each night is an adventure!
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I am on LDN as well--but more for SIBO. Seems like LDN does so many things! I'm happy to hear that Dr. Bredesen also thinks it is helpful. Do you know what he thinks is the mechanism for protecting us from cognitive decline?

BTW--the most noticeable effect for me is wild, crazy, vivid dreams. I'm getting kind of used to them. Each night is an adventure!
Interesting, JML! The crazy dreams calm down a little as you continue. They're barely noticeable to me now. I just heard yesterday that Dr. B. will talk about LDN in the upcoming book. I haven't read that chapter yet, but from talking with him, he seems to indicate that it normalizes our immune systems to make us more resilient. Good stuff :D
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

[quote="Julie G"BTW, Dr. Bredesen is very excited about LDN and considering adding it to the protocol. I would go so far as to say that it's in my top 3 as far as helpful strategies.[/quote]
Oh this is so interesting! I feel relieved to know that Dr Bredesen approves of LDN and may even add it to the protocol. Much as I am loving the effects, I have wondered if it is all as benign as it seems (and feels).
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Oh this is so interesting! I feel relieved to know that Dr Bredesen approves of LDN and may even add it to the protocol. Much as I am loving the effects, I have wondered if it is all as benign as it seems (and feels).
Yes, Dr. B is a fan. He was at a nutrition conference yesterday and ran into cardiologist Steven Sinatra who's also an LDN fan. Dr. Sinatra himself has recently begun taking it and couldn't stop raving about it.