Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Post by Julie G »

Waves, all! I've recently begun taking low dose naltrexone with some pretty positive results. I'm only four days in, and on a very small dose (1.5mg) working my way up to 4.5mg, but I feel a significant difference already. Naltrexone in higher dosages (50mg) is used to treat opioid addiction and alcohol dependency. At low doses, it's been found to be beneficial in upregulating the immune system. You can find more information here. You can find a nice compilation of the science as well as patients stories on the LDNScience site.

I feel noticeably different; a sense of contentment, peacefulness, and a better ability to focus. I'm sleeping more soundly. I'm running more and walking less on my 4 mile daily trek. I had begun experiencing a resurgence of chronic pain in my shoulders and neck which has virtually disappeared in this short period of time. I have better stamina throughout the day, although it still wanes in the late afternoon. It'll be interesting to see if this has an effect on my still high inflammatory biomarkers (TGF-Beta1 & C4a) and gammaglobulin levels (bottom of the normal reference range with IVIG every two months.)

So far, I would put this strategy right near the top of those that have been helpful to me. I'd love to hear others' experiences.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Post by circular »

Thanks for that link to LDNScience.org. Recently it was recommended I go to 'LDN.org' and I could never find the site.

Happy to hear about your improvement! I plan to look into this more. It's been mentioned in our forum several times.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Wish I had time to finish reading this nice explanation at Mercola's website:

Low-Dose Naltrexone and Dietary Changes for the Treatment of Autoimmune Diseases

And Chris Kresser also discusses it in this brief video (30 min):

RHR: Low-Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a Treatment for Autoimmune Disease
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

My interest has been piqued on LDN for a while now, thanks for the feedback with your experience Julie and for the additional info Circular.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

I've been on LDN for the past 15 years. It was prescribed by my FMD as part of my wellness program. I take 4.5 mg at bedtime, and started at that dose. I cannot say if I feel any different, as it's part of my lifestyle for such a long time.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Julie! I hope you are well! On LDN for my auto-immune issues and I am a big fan! I need to reflect on cognitive impact...
Victronix
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Victronix »

There are 56 pages of personal experiences described on the Phoenix Rising Forum (ME/CFS) on this thread - https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.p ... exone.292/

It's worth noting that a small number of people have bad responses - this person had the worst that I saw in there - https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.p ... ost-840842
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks all for weighing in!
It's worth noting that a small number of people have bad responses - this person had the worst that I saw in there - https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.p ... ost-840842
I found your post particularly timely, Victronix. Starting two days ago, I noticed a flutter in my chest. My heart was beating really fast right before bed. I thought it was odd, but I ignored it. It was mild and I was otherwise asymptomatic. Then yesterday, while cooking, I became really short of breath, my HR was in the 120s, I felt very hot, was coughing a bit, had an aversion to coffee and food. Very strange. Sitting down helped. Then I remembered this warning:
Those patients who are taking thyroid hormone replacement for a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s thyroiditis with hypothyroidism ought to begin LDN at the lowest range (1.5mg for an adult). Be aware that LDN may lead to a prompt decrease in the autoimmune disorder, which then may require a rapid reduction in the dose of thyroid hormone replacement in order to avoid symptoms of hyperthyroidism.
A rapid reduction, indeed! I'm taking a low dose of Armour Thyroid to address my subclinical hypothyroidism. I plan to cut it out and monitor the situation. I feel great today since not taking it. I wonder if this person from Pheonix Rising may have (at least partially) had the same causal factor?
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I’m on my second month of LDN. I started at 1.5 mg and am now at 4.5 mg. I tried taking it at bedtime but found it disrupted my sleep a bit, so now I take it in the morning.

I’ve been doing a lot of new things in recent months, ever since starting treatment for hydrogen sulfide SIBO. It’s hard to know what’s helping what, but I am sleeping better. My mental fatigue is better. I’m writing almost daily on my memoir. Maybe the LDN is helping with that. I hadn’t considered that possibility until reading this thread.

I have Hashimoto’s and haven’t noticed any symptoms that would indicate I need a lower dose of thyroid meds, though frankly I’d welcome them. I first need my body to respond more appropriately to the thyroid hormone I’m taking. I seem to be in a state of thyroid hormone resistance (and have been for many years) with low TSH, low free T3, and low free T4. Toxicity can cause that, and I’ve sure been toxic.

I’ve read many times over that LDN is an immune system modulator, not an upregulator. People with autoimmunity need immune system modulation. I imagine one’s immune system can be both overactive and under active, but that’s just my thought. I’ve not heard that elsewhere. In any case, modulation helps both under active and overactive immune systems.

Julie, I hope stopping that small dose of thyroid hormone resolves your new symptoms. It sounds quite possible.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Can anyone tell me if you are able to get LDN at a regular pharmacy (vs. a compounding pharmacy)? And does your insurance pay for it?
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach