Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Experiences with Low Dose Naltrexone

Post by jgilberAZ »

For example:

A 12oz ribeye is 60g fat and 66g protein.

That’s equivalent to 540 fat calories and 264 protein calories.

Or, 67% fat and 33% protein.

I don’t care what it does to my cholesterol since insulin will be extremely low.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thank you, Mike and jgilberAZ, for details on how you make your diets work. I'm preparing for a weeks long VW van camping trip, so I'm too distracted right now to investigate further. (It's challenging figuring out what to eat on the road based on my current diet!) But I'll definitely get back to this matter when I return in early July.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

jgilberAZ wrote:I try to follow Ted Naiman’s approach.
Check out http://www.ptoer.com/
This looks like it does not take sex and height / lean body mass into account at all - it seems to basically says eat more protein to lose weight and more carbs and fat to gain weight. Starting from your sex and height, you can approximate lean body mass, which is the amount of your body that you need to maintain with protein. The taller you are, in general, the greater the lean body mass and the more protein needed.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

TheBrain wrote:I've been having major constipation issues since 2000. I learned early on that adding more fiber to my diet only made matters worse. This is probably TMI, but it makes my point: sometimes, I felt like I was trying to pass a head of cauliflower
For what it's worth, when I use a heaping tablespoon of green plantain flour (solid green plantains that have been dried and pulverized into powder), my eliminations are smooth and easy. A friend of mine tried it on her family and they all pooped regular for the first time in years. My main reason to ingest this is to add resistant starch to feed my microbiome. I add it to blended drinks, nut & seed "cereals" and sometimes just mix it with water and drink it down (tastes like banana). I don't track my ketones so don't know how this would affect ketosis.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Carrie, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, resistant starch doesn't work for me. :( I've been using similar products like green banana flour and tiger nut flour (both high in resistant starch), and they don't help. I've been told that with my recently treated SIBO, I shouldn't be using such products at all, at least for now. So I'm making a batch of smoothies today, and I won't be using them. I had been adding a rounded tablespoon per serving.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

mike wrote:This looks like it does not take sex and height / lean body mass into account at all - it seems to basically says eat more protein to lose weight and more carbs and fat to gain weight. Starting from your sex and height, you can approximate lean body mass, which is the amount of your body that you need to maintain with protein. The taller you are, in general, the greater the lean body mass and the more protein needed.
I'm not sure I see the issue you're pointing out.

Male/female tall/short... the key is to eat the amount of grams in protein equal to your desired weight.

Then, adjust fat grams as follows:

need to gain ... eat more fat grams than protein grams
need to maintain ... eat the same amount of fat grams and protein grams
need to lose ... eat less fat grams than protein grams

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Of course, if one was eating carbs, that would be fat+carbs, not just fat.
But, eating carbs kind of negates the whole effort to get healthy.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

jgilberAZ wrote: need to gain ... eat more fat grams than protein grams
need to maintain ... eat the same amount of fat grams and protein grams
need to lose ... eat less fat grams than protein grams
So I can eat 1000 gr protein and 900 gr fat in a day and I will lose weight!? Your need for protein is based on your lean body mass, which remains the same whether you are thin or have extra fat. Protein should be a constant. You can then adjust your fat intake to lose or gain weight.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

Good grief.
Apoe 3/4
My Website
jgilberAZ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by jgilberAZ »

This will be my last response.

This video discusses protein leveraging.

https://youtu.be/GrsiFj0RNBY

This is his website:

http://burnfatnotsugar.com/
Apoe 3/4
My Website
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

jgilberAZ wrote:This will be my last response.
This video discusses protein leveraging.
https://youtu.be/GrsiFj0RNBY
Sorry for being so sarcastic. This is really a great video, and I effectively follow his suggestion of high protein. But even he says that everyone needs to eat enough protein. (16:20) and that many folks, especially the elderly are not getting enough protein (23:00). All I'm saying, is that I started by setting my MINIMUM protein (160 gr / day for my 6'3" male body) to maintain my lean body mass (which he also mentioned at one point), and my MAXIMUM carbs (30 gr / day), and then I add fat based on what I'm trying to do. Fat is the thing that I adjust in my diet. If I want to lose weight, I lower it. When I did not gain weight after an extended fast, I added in more. But even at his 5% carbs, 30% protein, 65% fat, there is more energy than protein calories, so just saying you need more protein than fat and carbs is not really correct.
Sonoma Mike
4/4