eating 2 cups of nuts . too much fat? CALORIES?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

eating 2 cups of nuts . too much fat? CALORIES?

Postby Torimintz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:38 am

I am eating almost 2 cups of nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios), and goat milk yogurt, omega 3, olive oil, coconut oil... a lot in my diet, yet I have not gained an ounce. I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.
I used to eat a strict low fat diet of only 1400 a day and couldn't lose any weight... but now I am eating 2000 calories a day (high in fat) and I am not gaining weight and have more energy... so weird.
MY QUESTION... is this too much fat? I have 4/4 and am reding GUNDRY and PERLMUTTER

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: eating 2 cups of nuts . too much fat? CALORIES?

Postby Julie G » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:54 pm

I am eating almost 2 cups of nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios), and goat milk yogurt, omega 3, olive oil, coconut oil... a lot in my diet, yet I have not gained an ounce. I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.
I used to eat a strict low fat diet of only 1400 a day and couldn't lose any weight... but now I am eating 2000 calories a day (high in fat) and I am not gaining weight and have more energy... so weird.
MY QUESTION... is this too much fat? I have 4/4 and am reding GUNDRY and PERLMUTTER

Hard to say what's too much You report being able to lose weight whereas you couldn't before. Are you at a healthy BMI now? You also report more energy. Overall, sounds good to me, but I might be missing something... Kudos on your improvements! :D

SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby SoCalGuy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:46 pm

I was eating a lot of macadamia nuts and consuming nearly a liter of olive oil a week when I was following the Gundry protocol. I was going through an 8oz container of macadamia nuts every couple days!

I didn't have any negative experience other than the diet can get very monotonous and it can be tough to eat out or eat with friends and family. I was in mild ketosis back then, my protein consumption was probably a little too high to allow me to get into deep ketosis. I was consuming no carbs other than those from plant sources (broccoli, avocado, etc).

slacker
Mod
Mod

Postby slacker » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Torimintz wrote: I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.

Why do you think you aren't digesting the fat? Here's a description of too much fat in the stool:
If you have steatorrhea, your stools will be bulkier, pale, and foul-smelling. They tend to float because of higher gas content. The stools also tend to be covered in a greasy film. Drops of oil may be seen in the water inside the toilet bowl.

You may be getting more fiber in those nuts than you think!
Slacker
E4/E4

roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roxanne » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 pm

Torimintz wrote:I am eating almost 2 cups of nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachios), and goat milk yogurt, omega 3, olive oil, coconut oil... a lot in my diet, yet I have not gained an ounce. I seem to poop a lot, and I mean a lot... which means that I am not digesting the fat.

As Slacker said, you might be getting a lot of fiber, which, in my opinion, is great. Enjoy the increase in energy. I eat high fat, like you, except for the coconut oil, which increases my LDL substantially.

Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Fiver » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:41 am

have you had you gall bladder removed, by chance? that can make it harder to absorb fats in the diet, at least that's how I understand it.
Four relatives with AD. Concerned, but hopeful. Introverted, but will talk about science.

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”