Coconut everything or just coconut oil?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LOL303
New User
New User

Coconut everything or just coconut oil?

Post by LOL303 »

I have one cooy of the Apoe4 gene and the protocol requires you to stay away from MCT fats, including coconut oil. Does that mean I have to stay away from all coconut products (coconut milk, coconut flakes etc) or is it just the pure coconut oil because of the amount of MCT oil? I would really miss coconut milk ;(
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Coconut everything or just coconut oil?

Post by CarrieS »

Hello LOL303
There is a great post in the Wiki titled Coconut Oil, MCT oil, and other Ketone/Cognition Boosters (salts, esters) that may answer your questions.

Stavia's Primer may also provide some insights as well.

To find all posts about coconut in these forums, you can click on the spyglass icon to the left of your name and type in a word for a search. I typed in "coconut" and got 1308 matches. This is a big topic of discussion.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
Morgdeth
New User
New User

Post by Morgdeth »

Hey all. I found this post from 2018 and have the same question. I don't see an answer in the 2 links provided. Does anyone have an answer on coconut meat? Is it ok to eat for Apoe4? Just the oil we should stay away from? Thank:)
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Morgdeth wrote:Hey all. I found this post from 2018 and have the same question. I don't see an answer in the 2 links provided. Does anyone have an answer on coconut meat? Is it ok to eat for Apoe4? Just the oil we should stay away from? Thank:)
Hi Morgdeth, It is an interesting question and I’m glad you resurrected it. I just did a little (very little) research and came up with this:
Saturated fat in 1 C coconut meat is 26.8 grams. In 1 C coconut milk, 51 grams. In 1 C coconut oil 189 grams.
Most of the saturated fat is in the form of medium chain triglycerides regardless of whether you are eating coconut meat, using coconut milk or coconut oil. So clearly, a lot less saturated fat in the coconut meat itself, which also has some fiber and nutrients.
The big question then is how much saturated fat you are comfortable consuming. You can read all day about whether saturated fats are, in and of themselves, problematic and ultimately , you have to decide for yourself because it is a controversial area.
Personally. I eat a moderate amount of saturated fat, including coconut, coconut milk and coconut oil. I have had lipids including LDL particle number and size tested and I am comfortable with my lab results. Some people definitely wouldn’t be.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health