Breakfast Suggestions

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Breakfast Suggestions

Post by Sara »

What is everyone doing for breakfast on the ReCODE Protocol? I am working with a client who doesn’t care for smoothies and can’t have eggs. Any suggestions are welcome! I personally drink Bulletproof Coffee each day with the collagen protein and now I add about 1/2 tsp of turmeric into the mix.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Breakfast Suggestions

Post by Rainbow »

The other day I had some lightly-sautéed spinach and mushrooms with an avocado and organic chicken sausage. (I also had a banana, but I'm guessing this might be too sugary for a ReCODE-follower.)
4/4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Breakfast choices don't have to be different from what we eat for other meals! That change in thinking may help your client.
Slacker
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Sara wrote:Any suggestions are welcome!
You might try googling "AIP breakfasts". Not all will fit, but they will be egg-free, and might provide some ideas.
WifeOfJoel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WifeOfJoel »

Here are some ideas:

Sweet potato hash browns sautéed with onions and peppers, topped with avocado. I imagine other resistant starches (e.g., parsnips?) would be good prepared this way.
I've used large cooked sweet potato slices as the "toast" for my avocado toast - this is SO GOOD.

You said she doesn't enjoy smoothies, but how about smoothie bowls? I blend frozen berries/ acai with nut or seed butter in a high powered blender, pour into a bowl and top with (should be low-glycemic) fruit and unsweetened flaked coconut, hemp seeds, and bee pollen.

Grains, even gluten-free ones, are technically in the red column (to be avoided). I've cut back on grains, but still eat the gluten-free ones from time to time. I make a gluten-free raw granola from soaked and dehydrated buckwheat, walnuts, etc., that goes great on smoothie bowls or to add crunch to plain almond or coconut yogurt. I have continued to eat corn tortillas, even in the morning. I love them heated gently with olive oil, then I fill them with avocado and, if I have any on hand, leftover cooked veggies and/or salsa. I also occasionally do fresh tomato and smashed avocado on toasted gluten-free bread (it's hard to find gluten-free bread made without eggs, though. She may have to make her own or use large sweet potato slices as I mentioned above). Buckwheat pancakes can be made vegan (so, free of both dairy and eggs) and gluten-free, and these are delicious with roasted pecans, coconut butter or ghee or vegan butter, and a touch of maple syrup (at a glycemic index of 54, IMO pure maple syrup isn't that bad, especially since a little goes a long way, flavor-wise).

Does she do soy? Tempeh is fermented soy, which is preferable, and can be made into tempeh "bacon" (sauté strips in sesame oil, tamari, and a couple drops of hickory smoke flavoring). Tofu, if she eats unfermented soy, can be scrambled with seasonings and vegetables (I use turmeric, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and black salt as seasonings for the tofu).

When I wake up tired but not that hungry, I will blend leftover coffee I keep in the fridge with unsweetened raw almond milk and frozen raspberries, for a frappuccino-like beverage I can take in the car. Hemp protein might be good in that. I also like coffee blended with a homemade nut milk and some sort of healthy flavoring: turmeric, maca, rose water, matcha, or allspice.

Good luck! :)

physician scientist
Me: APOε3/3, MTHFR (C677T) homozygote
Partner: APOε4/4
Mother: APOε3/4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Thank you everyone! Great suggestions.
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Karina52 »

For breakfast I routinely make a muesli of 1/3 cup gluten free oat bran, with 1/3 cup gluten free muesli mix (with nuts and seeds), 2 tablespoons of fresh ground flax seed, 1/2 cup fresh organic blueberries (or raspberries) and almond milk. It is followed by a protein shake with cocoa powder (also almond milk) and 2 tablespoons of EVOO taken with 2 capsules of digestive enzymes to help me break down the protein.
gmpicket
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gmpicket »

I eat a soft-boiled egg every morning,... sorry, I'm not helpful.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

A couple days ago I had "egg-free quiche with roasted pepper and basil" from "The Chickpea Flour Cookbook" by Camilla Saulsbury.
They cook in muffin tins and the recipe makes 12. Leftovers can be frozen. The book has bread, pancake waffle recipes made with chickpea flour.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

So gluten free pasta is a no go? Why is that gang?

Thanks!
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)