Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by circular »

I was taken aback at my recent overnight sleep study when the gal who administered it (was she a nurse? tech? ???) said all light screws up the circadian rhythm, not just blue. She was very certain of it but also very haughty about her opinion. It left me wondering, since she's in the sleep business.

I'm only recently learning just how long Dr. Gundry has been exploring his angle.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay so I had misinterpreted Dr. Gundry on the lectins and pressure cooking in this way: I thought that since cruciferous vegetables, dark leafy greens and other veggies on the Matrix "Safe Foods" list were high in lectins (low high, fairly high … I don't know), that I needed to pressure cook them. In my consultation with Dr. Gundry he talked about that they had lectins and I asked if I could pressure cook them, thinking it would be necessary, and he said yes. I was like, whew, I can eat them if I PC them. But it turns out that being on the Safe Foods side of the Matrix food list, they do not need pressure cooking. There are people who are highly sensitive to lectins who can eat these types raw. So it's stick to the food list on the printout, or if you go off the food list then pressure cook. I guess the worst of the lectins are off the list anyway. Of course you can cook your vegetables that way if you want, which I plan to do some of the time because I like the way my food turns out using the pressure cooker, but this is good because I think raw food is important too.

Hope this clarification is helpful.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Dr. Gundry: Turning off Autoimmunity with a Lectin Avoidance Diet By Joseph M. Cohen
http://selfhacked.com/2015/12/11/dr-gun ... ance-diet/

Contents

1 About Dr Gundry
2 Intro
3 Questions
3.1 My Theory On Why Elevated Adiponectin is Associated With Lectin Sensitivity
3.2 Gut Lining, Cortisol, Leptin, Stress
3.3 Cytokines
3.4 Permeability, WBC
3.5 TNF, Local Inflammation
3.6 CRP
3.7 T3
3.8 Blue Light
3.9 Lectins, Autoimmune Disease
3.10 Plant-Based Lectin Diets
4 Lectins: Anti-Cancer or No?
4.1 Autoimmune “Cure?”
4.2 Matrix Program
4.3 A1 Beta-Casein
4.4 Lectin Blockers
5 Resources
6 Links
6.1 Pressure Cooker
6.2 Supplements
6.3 Tests
6.4 For Circadian Rhythms
6.4.1 Share this:
6.4.2 Related

{edit} I see Circ just posted this in the lectin thread https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... =60#p20683- I'd missed that before
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

The 80 year old 3/4 Husband that I posted about back in Nov had a recent call with Dr. Gundry. The original post is here:
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... dry#p19850
His wife just posted this comment on the Gundry Matrix FB group, about a meeting sharing the Gundry test results with their local internist.
Last Thursday we had our consults with Dr. Gundry and he said Husband was a "Rock Star" because of his A1c at 4.9. There was lots of other good news for both of us and some work to do too. Today, Husband took his blood work results with him for his yearly physical with our internist, whom we'll call Dr. H. here. Dr. H read the Singulex (lab) results and kept saying, "This is crazy, this is crazy," while his jaw dropped lower and lower....and his smile went from ear to ear. He could not believe the fantastic improvement, especially in a patient who had a TIA Stroke and a heart attack. He jumped out of his chair when he got to page 4 and saw Husband's Cardiac Troponin dropped from 41.6 to 4.1. As an experienced ER doc, he explained he understood this score very well, and quizzed us on the Matrix. Then he said, he had been evoking Husband's name to others and Husband is now the Poster Boy there, being the example. When he physically examined Husband, he was stunned and super excited as he discovered that the emphysema has been reduced dramatically .... on a scale of 1 to 10 [10 being the worst], Husband is now a one.....and to think Husband could not walk around the block last June when we embarked on this journey! Today, Husband did 50 minutes on a treadmill and did 2.10 miles. This is an incredible experience, and we have Dr. Gundry to thank for all of his hard work, determination, his ability to think out of the box and his caring manner. We'd also like to thank all of you for the support, the messages, the emails, and the information on this post that kept us pretty faithful to a lifestyle that is not easy. Merci beaucoup, mes amies.......

The wife says she will allow me share test results here as well as a transcript of the Gundry call when she gets it done. She will also share her results. She is a 3/3, but has Hashimotos which has also responded nicely to Gundry's program.
Tincup
E3,E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I've been curious, with so many different cytokines 'out there', why Dr. Gundry focuses on IL-6 and IL-17a. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't know one cytokine from another. To me they all just mean 'inflammation'.
VictorN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VictorN »

Juliegee wrote:According to Dr. Gundry, vegetables are the vehicle to deliver EVOO to your mouth. However, he is strongly opposed to vegetarianism and veganism due to poor health outcomes; metabolic syndrome, high levels of inflammation, CAD, etc.
Seriously?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

VictorN I can't say for sure, but I wonder how much of this perspective on this stems not so much from a literature review as from his own patient profiles. Many vegans and vegetarians eat a high carb diet. Those vegans/vegetarians for whom high carbs lead to high triglycerides, inflammation and other cardiovascular anomalies may be more likely to end up in the care of a cardiovascular doctor. His perspective may be biased by a biased sample (I don't know), but it could also underline the issue that the right diet for one person isn't the best for another. There are just too many variables. Even if a vegan diet is best for a general population (I don't know that either since I haven't done five star research into it), there is always 1/3 of each such population falling somewhere not as ideal under the bell curve, no?
VictorN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VictorN »

circular wrote:VictorN I can't say for sure, but I wonder how much of this perspective on this stems not so much from a literature review as from his own patient profiles. Many vegans and vegetarians eat a high carb diet. Those vegans/vegetarians for whom high carbs lead to high triglycerides, inflammation and other cardiovascular anomalies may be more likely to end up in the care of a cardiovascular doctor. His perspective may be biased by a biased sample (I don't know), but it could also underline the issue that the right diet for one person isn't the best for another. There are just too many variables. Even if a vegan diet is best for a general population (I don't know that either since I haven't done five star research into it), there is always 1/3 of each such population falling somewhere not as ideal under the bell curve, no?
I mostly agree (although reluctantly) that even properly balanced vegan diet might not be the best for 100% of population. But Dr. Gundry's position (in Julie's interpretation anyway) sounds like it's bad for all. You're right, most likely he has a biased view - and it's alright - he's just a human, after all. Or maybe Julie somehow distorted his position and he didn't mean that. I mean, come on - he is no fool and must be aware there are thousands of healthy vegans out there - including ApoE4 carriers, I have no doubt.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

He's a bit of an enigma. He's given to blanket statements which rightly turns off people interested in, and who find more accuracy in, nuance and context. He has many patients apparently coming from all different lifestyles whom he's helped through complex health issues. His explanations in broad terms for these clinical successes (his lectin free matrix diet plus recommended, personalized supplements as a 'Gundry protocol', if you will) haven't been peer reviewed, although maybe some components have been. He has a new book coming out this year and many of us are hoping for greater explication of the theories he has that he feels, when implemented, lead to improved health in his patients. Maybe even some gathered clinical data in the absence of peer review. I fully expect that as with anyone else's systems-based approach to healthcare, whether Gundry, Bredesen or any naturopath out there, some of his assertions will pan out better than others.

One comment he's made (relying on ?) is that, ancestrally, even 'vegetarian' primates get a small amount of animal protein in the form of bugs. You've probably seen that he recommends no more than 4 oz of animal protein a day (I personally eat more). He's actually 'accused' (his word) of being a vegan by people who don't know his diet well, because it almost is. Interestingly, he was chief of cardio-thoracic surgery at Loma Linda, associated with 7th-day Adventists/vegetarians. He's probably well aware of the literature.
VictorN
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VictorN »

circular wrote:...ancestrally, even 'vegetarian' primates get a small amount of animal protein in the form of bugs.
True, true. This, and the fact that they don't wash foliage they eat (thus consuming traces of soil) explains how they get their V12 (among other nutrients). Unfortunately, I'm not ready to eat bugs and dirty veggies yet so I have to supplement with V12 and Omega 3 fish oil - so, strictly speaking, I'm not 100% vegan.

He worked at Loma Linda, huh? I didn't know that. No wonder he hates vegetarians :D .