Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
jeff
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by jeff »

Hi,
Is it possible to get into full ketosis without jacking up triglycerides? I would think moderate K would not help with AD brain sugar metabolism The other is ketone salts and mct oil which is a Grundy no -no jeff
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

jeff wrote:Hi,
Is it possible to get into full ketosis without jacking up triglycerides? I would think moderate K would not help with AD brain sugar metabolism The other is ketone salts and mct oil which is a Grundy no -no jeff
My most recent labs from 1/22/18 (which I've not yet posted), my Tg's were 55 mg/dL and HDL was 65 mg/dL. I sampled ketones at the time of the test - 1.1mmol/L. Though I don't use them, Gundry has never said anything against ketone salts or esters. I am well adapted and i routinely fast for 5 consecutive days out of 14. By the 3rd day of a fast, my ketones are normally > 4 mmol/L (with glucose in the 50's or low 60's mg/dL) and can rise as high as 8 mmol/L. That being said, for either my wife or me, ketones of 0.3 mmol/L or 7.5 mmol/L make no difference to our mental functioning (which shows no deficit). Many do notice a difference. I presume it is very individual.

One time I did labs on day 7 of a fast and my Tg's were 76 mg/dL. As Dr. Gundry and I discussed, context is everything. My Tg's were slightly elevated as I was using them for fuel. This is a differenct context than those who have elevated Tg's due to excess carbohydrate consumption, which is the most common reason.

I personally don't chase Tg levels (I fast for autophagy, apoptosis & mitophagy reasons). I also don't consume any supplemental MCT's, ketone salts or esters. I also eat a relatively carby diet for someone who is mostly in ketosis. In a two week food log with a gram scale last March, my carb intake ranged from ~86 to 180 g/day with a mean of 122 g/day. Of this about 55 g/day was fiber. When I sampled (nfrequently) during that time, ketones ranged from 0.7 mmol/L to 1.9 mmol/L as I recall. All of this is highly individual, I'm sure. I've been keto adapted since Oct 2009.
Tincup
E3,E4
jeff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeff »

Ti ncup,
On another thread you told someone you had info on breathing ex. Could you let me know? thanks, jeff
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

jeff wrote:Ti ncup,
On another thread you told someone you had info on breathing ex. Could you let me know? thanks, jeff
Not sure which post you are referring to . May have been the Buteyko approach. The goal is reset your brain's setpoint for serum CO2 allowing you to space your breaths more. For an extreme example of this, think of free divers.

Recently spent time in the hospital visiting friends. It reaffirmed my impression that those you are more unwell tend to breathe much faster and usually through their mouth. Those who are well breathe infrequently through the nose. Patrick MeKeown has a lot of info on this. He has many podcasts & Youtube videos.

Interestingly, Wim Hof has a breathing technique that starts with hyperventilation and ends with a long breath hold (minutes). Wim also has data suggesting the efficacy of his approach. At the end of his book, the approach is explained.

I do work on my breathing per Buteyko. I almost never open my mouth to breathe, even during high intensity interval training (Tabata) exercises. Same at altitude. Was at 13,000' a week ago on skis, skating up a hill. As to Wim's approach, he's an advocate of cold theremogenisis training, saying his breathing can help you tolerate the cold. I've never bothered, even though I typically soak in 49 deg F (9.5 deg C) water for 20 minutes daily.

Hope this helps. As an aside, if you quote me on a post, leaving at least the [ quote="Tincup" ] (I've added spaces so it will show up, don't add spaces. If you do, I won't see it), I'll get a notification & hence much more likely to see it.
Tincup
E3,E4
jeff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeff »

Tincup,
You sure on top of things. I have one more question and a request for you to tell how to post a question, so I don't bug you.

1) I am 73- apoe3/4 . What i thought were " quaint" Sr. moments, are predromal signs- immediate short -term memory problems.
I can't tell for sure from Bresenden Protocol what's best- H. E(Lion's Mane), Bocopa, citicholine- I just started Mg Threonate.
or maybe you do something else. Thanks, jeff
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

jeff wrote:Tincup,
You sure on top of things. I have one more question and a request for you to tell how to post a question, so I don't bug you.

1) I am 73- apoe3/4 . What i thought were " quaint" Sr. moments, are predromal signs- immediate short -term memory problems.
I can't tell for sure from Bresenden Protocol what's best- H. E(Lion's Mane), Bocopa, citicholine- I just started Mg Threonate.
Hi Jeff, I'm on the forum's support team. I've just sent you a PM (private message), about helping you learn a little more about how the forum works. We'd be happy to help you learn how to do all the posting. We so appreciate your joining us, and your wonderful posts and questions.

To read the PM, look toward the top right of your screen. You'll see an 'envelope' and it should have a number on it (probably a '1'). Just click on that, and it will bring up a list of messages (kind of like your personal email), click on the unopened message, and it should be from me. We'll start from there. :-)

Learning to post in the forum is a little detailed, but I'm certain we can help you do that. :-) You're important to us! If you have any trouble opening the PM, just post again here - or in any forum - and we'll find you!

Jan
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

jeff wrote:Tincup,

Jeff, I've never used any of the herbs that Dr. Bredesen talks about in his book. Perhaps another member might be able to comment?
Tincup
E3,E4
Werner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Werner »

Hi there,
all very interesting thread here.
I am living in Germany but still follow Dr. Gundry very closely.

ApoE 3/4.
LDL 200
HDL 60
Trigs 50

My Doc tells me to lower my LDL.
I have just cut out cheese, which is hard for me but giving it a try, will see if it helps.
Eating very little meat, but 3 fish meals a week.

Is there a summary here for recommendations to lower LDL ?
ApoE: 3/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Werner wrote:Hi there,
all very interesting thread here.
I am living in Germany but still follow Dr. Gundry very closely.

ApoE 3/4.
LDL 200
HDL 60
Trigs 50

My Doc tells me to lower my LDL.
I have just cut out cheese, which is hard for me but giving it a try, will see if it helps.
Eating very little meat, but 3 fish meals a week.

Is there a summary here for recommendations to lower LDL ?
Simple answer is to minimize saturated fat (Gundry finds cheese to be a big culprit for 4's).

I eat high fat (75%) Gundry diet with low sat fat.

You have great Tg/Hdl ratio!

Question is whether lower ldl is needed. If possible, testing for oxLDL, sdLDL and/or getting a CAC scan would say more about actual risk.
Tincup
E3,E4
Werner
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Werner »

Tincup,
thanks for your answer.
Yes, saturated fat is bad, for me, I know.
Digging out more lab results:

LipidPerOx: 64 mmol/ltr
OxLDL: 30 ng/ml

My Doc says, those values are good.
I am still eating "low carb bread" (tons of super good tasting bread in Germany), which is difficult for me to discard. Not much left to eat then, basically fish and vegetables.
ApoE: 3/4