Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Stavia »

Fc, we absolutely welcome all points of view and evidence supporting such viewpoints.
We do not want to become an echo chamber.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Fc1345linville »

Stavia, I absolutely agree with you that the forum must be open full discussion, and debate, and not an echo chamber. What I meant to be getting at is It would also be useful that we express our different views constructively and in a civil manner, respecting if not agreeing with another's views. The healthiness of eggs, or not, is a very important dietary issue, and I appreciate and value Plumster's post on the subject.

Fc
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's an interesting recent press release for a paper exploring the effect of eggs on cognitive health, specifically in E4 carriers.

Here's the paper:
Association of dietary cholesterol and egg intakes with the risk of incident dementia or Alzheimer disease: the Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study.
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/105/2/476/4633950

This same group previously published a similar study exploring the effect of eggs on heart health for E4 carriers. See below:
Associations of egg and cholesterol intakes with carotid intima-media thickness and risk of incident coronary heart disease according to apolipoprotein E phenotype in men: The Kuopio Ischaemic Heart Disease Risk Factor Study
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/103/3/895/4569580
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Fc1345linville wrote:Stavia, I absolutely agree with you that the forum must be open full discussion, and debate, and not an echo chamber. What I meant to be getting at is It would also be useful that we express our different views constructively and in a civil manner, respecting if not agreeing with another's views. The healthiness of eggs, or not, is a very important dietary issue, and I appreciate and value Plumster's post on the subject.

Fc
Eating more than 7 eggs per week increases your risk of premature death substantially (all cause mortality).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T5/

By about 20% if you don't have diabetes, but by about 100% if you have diabetes.
McGido
Contributor
Contributor

Post by McGido »

Plumster wrote:I don't doubt Dr. Gundry's advice on ApoE4 at all, but I would definitely reconsider his advice on eggs. Take a look at Dr. Gregor's video: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/dr-gun ... -is-wrong/
Well, that wasn't a favourable review of the book.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I think what we need to do is research on our own whether any scientists of a paper are funded by the Nutritional Egg Board or the Egg Nutrition Center or similar organization representing a business. It's only natural that we have different and conflicting authorities to whom we listen. Personally, I consider, first, Dr. Michael Greger and Dr. Neal Barnard from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (Barnard has a diet book for the brain. His father had AD) because they have taken a strong stance for an ethical science. But my stance is not all or nothing. I am not dismissing Dr. Gundry on apoe4 or Dr. Bredesen's research in most realms. I am very, very thankful for Dr. Bredesen's book. http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files ... -sheet.pdf
Last edited by Plumster on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Plumster wrote:It's only natural that we have different and conflicting authorities to whom we listen.
Justice is often represented as a blindfolded woman with scales that weigh evidence. Rich person, poor person, famous person, unknown person, high status, low status, all are the same to her. The evidence is what matters.

I like to study the scientific evidence while being blind to who wrote it. Lady Justice sends other people to the gallows. I have a say in whether I send myself (and those I mentor) to the gallows. So, it makes sense to me to bend the knee before science and evidence rather than personalities.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Searcher, it's not either or -- evidence-based claims AND checking who paid for the research.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

Plumster wrote:Searcher, it's not either or -- evidence-based claims AND checking who paid for the research.
Plumster, if there were a thumbs-up icon, I'd give you one here! Wise statement.
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Plumster wrote:Searcher, it's not either or -- evidence-based claims AND checking who paid for the research.
This is very true. Scientific journals usually require conflicts of interest to be disclosed. This is not the case for books, blogs etc.