Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
seaweed
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by seaweed »

I read somewhere that Dr. Gundry isn't a big fan of bone broth. Does anyone know how he feels about collagen protein in general?

Before learning about Bredesen and Gundry, I was following the Autoimmune Protocol and drinking a collagen/veggie shake every day. I'm a 4/4, though, so I want to make sure collagen is an okay source of protein.
4/4 & prior CIRS (lyme + mold)
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

seaweed wrote:I read somewhere that Dr. Gundry isn't a big fan of bone broth. Does anyone know how he feels about collagen protein in general?

Before learning about Bredesen and Gundry, I was following the Autoimmune Protocol and drinking a collagen/veggie shake every day. I'm a 4/4, though, so I want to make sure collagen is an okay source of protein.
I'd be interested in knowing this too...
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

seaweed wrote:I read somewhere that Dr. Gundry isn't a big fan of bone broth. Does anyone know how he feels about collagen protein in general?

Gundry seems to be a big proponent of keeping the gut microbiota happy and in balance. This was an interesting study published earlier this month looking at the effects of using gelatin protein:

Effect of a Protein Supplement on the Gut Microbiota of Endurance Athletes: A Randomized, Controlled, Double-Blind Pilot Study (Nutrients 2018): http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/10/3/337/htm

A slight increase in protein intake as a consequence of 20 g of protein supplementation (10 g of whey isolate + 10 g of beef hydrolysate) in athletes decreases health-promoting bacteria in microbiota

That said, I currently supplement whey and collagen myself, often taking breaks from them both. FWIW, I use Marine collagen, which has a bit more glycine.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Hmmmm...interesting. I cycle the marine and beef collagen, currently finishing the beef and have ordered the marine.

I use 10-12g per day, occasionally adding 5g of creatine, with a recent addition of 5g of reishi powder, all taken together just before breakfast.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Tincup wrote: From the transcript:
Dr. Gundry: I do want to add a proviso that we check APOE E4 status on everybody and about 25, 30% of people carry one or both of the 4 alleles. Those people I really strongly feel that animal fats are mischief to those folks. Those folks I basically put them on a coconut fat, macadamia nut fat, olive oil fat, sesame fat and I really do limit their animal product use. With that we actually follow these small dense LDLs and we don’t quit on these folks until we get their small LDL particles down and we always do.
But this is the subset of people that I do think everyone should know their APOE status. My personal feeling is that those people, they do not do well, they should avoid animal fat product as a general rule. Can they have them? Yes, but I’d view these folks an Asian stir-fry where animal products are the garnishment to the meal is more the way these folks should eat.

Dr. Rocky: I mean I assume that fish would be relatively safer for these people.

Dr. Gundry: Believe it or not I actually use less fatty fishes. I have them get cod and mahi mahi and haddock and flounder and I stir them away from some of the fattier fishes. But I also measure omega 3 statuses 
on these guys and we actually do push up their DHAs quite a bit. But the main thing on these folks is like everybody else we’ve got to turn off all their inflammatory cytokines, because oxidized cholesterol really isn’t interested in sticking to blood vessels, getting called into action unless there is inflammation going on. Again, I view cholesterol more as an ambulance rather than an instigator.”
This is really a rollercoaster. Just when I got encouraged again, down I go. I gave up wheat and grains, I gave up dairy, I gave up, of course, refined carbs and sweets. Now I can't have animal protein or my salmon? I HATE fish, except for salmon. And NO fruit, not even berries! (Which were really the only fruit I ate anyway.)

All that's left is a long list of foreign sounding vegetables, it seems. So take the animal items off the Keto Plant Paradox List, too? (Or does he mean by "limiting" the animal fat, the amounts he has on the Keto Plant Paradox list? I took that comment to mean take them all off.)

Seriously? And this is forever, right? :cry:
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I wouldn't stress over it. Do you have heart issues? You can get a coronary calcium scan which will give you a good idea if this is an issue for you. I'd worry about the insulin/glucose first. This is a thread on these scans.
Tincup
E3,E4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

AFAIK, EPA reduces Abeta brain load and acts as an anti-inflammatory (PGE2) and increases insulin degrading enzyme formation. I can't fathom why Gundry would tell people to avoid fatty fish, but then go eat mahi mahi, which has a far greater risk of being loaded with methyl mercury.

If you look up Rhonda Patrick's view on epa/dha, she'll probably tell you EPA is a must for a ApoE4 carrier.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27813426
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Gundry wants us to consume high amounts of fish oil. He specifically prescribes at least 1 g/day of DHA and we consume that plus another 1.6 of EPA. Now the argument can be made it is better to consume it from fish than from fish oil. He also tests our omega 3 index wanting us to have a level >10. Small fish obviously have lower level of mercury.

For E4's, he's observed that animal (and coconut oil) saturated fat increases sdLDL in his patients. Julie posted a paper in Dec. 2014 that showed that E4's without metabolic issues had 20% of the heart disease risk of "normals" while E4's with metabolic issues had a 2.5-3x risk of normals. So this is a controversial recommendation of Gundry's and Marc and Russ disagree.

Another controversial recommendation is protein and animal protein restriction. The argument for this is that people with lower mTOR activation live longer and in animal studies, methionine (a specific amino acid expressed in higher quantities in animal protein) restriction has the same benefit of caloric restriction. The counter argument is that low protein intake in the elderly may lead to sarcopenia. When I quizzed him about this, he said that many elderly had compromised digestion thereby lower absorption of protein. He intimated that following his diet suggestions would mitigate these digestive issues.

We tend to eat a lot of shellfish, but our total daily protein is in the range of 0.7g/kg body weight (which is modest).
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Recent interview (May 2018) with Gundry.
Tincup
E3,E4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

There's so much criticism of Gundry out there from doctors I admire. It's worth reading Gundry critically, very critically.

The real story on lectins, for example:
https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/eat-t ... on-lectins
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR