Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Julie G »

A top notch heart surgeon actually spends THREE minutes discussing diet recommendations for E4s. THREE minutes, an eternity in E4 land!!! We usually get a sentence.

A must listen. The E4 info starts at the 30 min. mark although the entire podcast was fascinating and sets a contextual background:

http://body.io/body-io-fm-24-dr-steven- ... 4CpYP.dpbs

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by giftsplash »

Very interesting interview.
When he says that APOE4's don't do well with animal fat is he saying that fat is ok as long as it does not come with cholesterol?
What is it in animal fat that is not present in coconut fat for example that makes it bad for us?
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Fabulous, Jul! And I can't remember (Why do I always feel compelled to *snicker* when I pen that?) if I posted this to 23 or not, but I had written Dr. Gundry awhile back with my 4/4 sob story. Here's his reply:

Center for Restorative Medicine <info@drgundry.com>
2/26/13
to me

I take care of a number of APOE4/4 patients and have an extremely effective program to counteract the effects of this gene. Just remember as every gambler knows, it is not the hand you are dealt, but how you play the hand.

You should dramatically lessen your exposure to animal fats. Consume as many shellfish as possible and as often as possible. I cannot overemphasize this point.

Unless you are a KIF6 mutation, I would not take a statin for ApoE gene.

Please contact my office at (760) 323-5553 if you would like an office of phone consultation.

To your good health!

Dr. G.

I never called his office, but I think I'm going to revisit that. Interesting he said to not take a statin. And, as far as I can tell, I don't have the KIF6 mutation. Then again, I have no significant plaque in my major arteries...so, for now, I'll stick to the statin. AND I'll be listening to his talk later today.

Additionally, I downloaded his book last July and read it on a train from DC to NYC:

Pretty cool reading. I highly recommend.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Julie, Hey, that's our friend Dr. Patel's podcast! I had been waiting for them to get on iTunes to make listening more convenient, and had noticed they made it over yet. Downloading them all for a long drive tomorrow. although still skeptical about elimination of all animal fats, this guy sounds like the sanest guy I've heard, yet. Can't wait to learn more. I do agree there is some sense into shifting to more seafood, but wonder about his thoughts on clean sources?
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, from what I can glean he seems to be recommending a primarily plant-based keto diet, with lean meat as more of a garnish. Think lots of non-starchy veg, dripping with plant based fats (EVOO, coconut oil, macadamia nut & sesame oils)...not too different than what many of us are doing. He is opposed to animal fats for E4s. Interestingly, re. seafood, he recommendeds (non-oilier versions?) like wild caught cod, haddock, flounder, mahi mahi, etc. He is a big proponent of DHA supplementation for E4s. In trying to research more, I've found that he suspects that our primitive ancestors didn't eat meat daily; hence his recommendations to go lighter on animal protein.

According to Dr. Gundry, vegetables are the vehicle to deliver EVOO to your mouth. However, he is strongly opposed to vegetarianism and veganism due to poor health outcomes; metabolic syndrome, high levels of inflammation, CAD, etc. He wants E4s to have very low levels of small LDL particles, inflammation, and glucose markers. According to the doc, who has an insider's view to our arteries, big fluffy particles are VERY beneficial. IF inflammation (as measured by cytokines) is low and glucose is low; he finds LDL and TC irrelevant. The only benefit to statins, per the podcast, is in the reduction of inflammation.

I was blown away that he has a plan for E4s that has been yielding great success. YES, Russ. He is a perfect match for you; worth a trip to the dessert and skype follow-ups.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Sounds very interesting. Might even be able to co-develop some thinking on this variability thing I have on my mind. Feels like it would fit in his theories. Will start by listening to podcast tomorrow...
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Just wanted to thank you Julie for turfing up this podcast. Really excellent stuff. Binge listening to several episodes while doing lots of driving today. Will be going back to this one again to digest more deeply for sure... Prob when I can take notes.
Russ
E3/4
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

Wow great interview. That has been my current diet exactly for the past 3 months. I have been eating some fatty fish but my diet is mostly MUFA 60%, lean protein 20%, and non-starch Veggies 20%. Had my NMR blood work done this morning. Lets see what it did to my LDL-P count (3071) and small LDL count (1510). Listening to this interview makes that high small LDL count seem to be the most critical number to look at. Before my newest diet experiment I was eating a lot of cheese which may explain the high count. Now I'm really glad that I have cut all dairy from this diet phase.
I love the way he describes veggies as a vehicle for EVOO to get in your mouth :lol: I've gone through almost four 750 ml bottles of high phenol EVOO in the past 3 months ! I'm really anxious to see the results. You all will be the first to know.
APO E3/4
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

JanPeter, Agree small LDL-P likely key to look at, but still feel it's likely an indicator variable, not the true target? If high, question will be to ask why? One thing I will go back and take notes on are his thoughts on more comprehensive inflammation marker panel. I still can't reconcile in my mind avoidance of natural animal fats with my laymen's understanding of evolutionary history and E4 as the ancestral allele, but willing to follow data and best insight. Was also very intrigued by his own use of variability in his own eating... Eating a single evening meal each day from January to June. Seems like maybe some interesting thinking behind that?
Russ
E3/4
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

... Oh, and almost forgot from today's podcast binge... Episode 231 of Robb Wolf's podcast is an interview w Nina Teicholz and her new book "Big Fat Surprise". Generally interesting, but relevant to us, Robb makes a comment fairly early on that in their continuing work w Reno police and Firefighters, they now start seeing the pattern that when someone gets an increase in lipid markers while eating more saturated fat, they test and find they're very often APOE4. They then flip them to higher MUFA diet and markers get better. Maybe time to back to Robb for deeper insight on that...
Russ
E3/4