Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by MarcR »

Searcher wrote:
MarcR wrote: Is there an easier way than finding a doctor willing to order the test from Mayo?
Not that I'm aware of.
Ah well. Guess I'll just have to be patient. For now I'll rely on post-prandial blood glucose and the occasional trigs/HDL reading to evaluate insulin sensitivity. Perhaps those markers will wind up having a high enough correlation to the fancy new test to suffice for my purposes.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Marc,

Had a brief look for something about using TG/HDL as a marker for insulin sensitivity and found:

Should triglycerides and the triglycerides to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio be used as surrogates for insulin resistance?

I can't get the full access. I'm curious if you know this paper and what they found was the TG/HDL cutoff suggestive of insulin resistance in Caucasians. Or maybe you have something else or more recent that didn't come up for me?

Thx
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

They defined IR as top quartile fasting insulin (13.13 μU/mL). They also used HOMA-IR of at least 2.5 where HOMA-IR is glucose (mmol/L) * insulin (μU/mL) / 22.5.

They tested TG and TG/HDL-C cutoffs from a previous study - TG >= 130 and TG/HDL-C >= 3. The cutoffs were fixed parameters, and they didn't suggest revised values.

I don't have anything else on this. From an n=1 standpoint, I like this metric because it has been meaningful for me in the past:

1999: 149/44
2001: 179/42
2003: 373/36
April 2009 - stop eating sugar
November 2009: 38/47
2013: 26/79
2016: 60/71
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

SusanJ wrote:TheresaB wrote:
lobster gets SOO boring night after night

I'm coming to your house for dinner...
You should have been here for dinner tonight :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

If only I could get decent seafood here... :cry:
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

MarcR wrote:They defined IR as top quartile fasting insulin (13.13 μU/mL). They also used HOMA-IR of at least 2.5 where HOMA-IR is glucose (mmol/L) * insulin (μU/mL) / 22.5.
Have been chatting with Catherine Crofts (who did her PhD thesis on Joseph Krafts OGTT with insulin assay data) this weekend and today. Catherine is very suspect of fasting insulin as a metric (also HOMA). If it is above 50, then obviously bad, if above 30 then likely bad, if below 30, then it is not able to be determined. Even below 5 is not sure. Without doing a full 5 hour test of oral glucose with insulin assay, her preferred metric is a two hour insulin, either exactly 2 hours after a 75 g dose of glucose or after your largest (carbiest?) typical meal. If 30 or less, you are good to go. Stavia did this per Catherine's suggestion some time ago (and got a 20 as I recall). Her thesis is linked someplace here (as is Kraft's 1975 paper). If people care, I can chase the links down.

Turns out that insulin has several cycles on top of one another. Catherine mentioned that even samples taken 5 minutes apart can vary by 60(?)%!
Tincup
E3,E4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76XklHN ... e=youtu.be

Alternative view about beans and health properties,
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, as the creator of this thread, I'm officially noting that we're 65 pages in and counting... That said, I just stumbled across this blog post that leads to a study/poster? that Dr. Gundry recently did demonstrating the efficacy of his approach on those with autoimmune disease. Apparently 95 out of 102 patients achieved complete resolution of autoimmune and inflammatory markers using his diet. You can read more here.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Abstract is here.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

No surprise. If you follow Sarah Ballantyne's work on the Autoimmune Protocol, people improve on that approach, too, of which lectin reduction is only one part of the changes (although her list doesn't quite match Gundry's list, she doesn't get rid of squashes for example). AIP initially throws out eggs, all nuts and seeds, too, in the elimination phase. Once symptoms settle, you do the reintroduction phase and leave out anything that causes a reaction.

Think we're just seeing another example of how important finding the right diet for us individually will be in finding health.