Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome RobinH from another 4/4 gal who has aspired on occasion to being orthorexic and pretty much failed each time.

Life's full of contradictions as we all know, and perhaps mischievously more so for us 4/4s. We tend to feel that we really must be pristine in all areas of our lives at all times to reduce risk, but for some of us, that very process can have unintended consequences that we've learned may be especially troublesome (like added stress, loss of sleep... when we don't live up to our own expectations!). So, after 6 years of trial and error, naval gazing and accepting my own limitations, I've found a sort of balance. Simply put, I do my best, most of the time. But not all of the time...it's simply not in my DNA to live that way. I wish. But I think we can find comfort in the knowledge that we're all different despite our E4 gene(s) and that we don't all respond to interventions in the same way (as you've probably already noted in our forum discussions). Some of us are able to get away with more that others - for whatever reason. While it's certainly important to keep an eye on on your lab work and tweak where needed as you can, I couldn't agree more with you that it's so important to stay in touch with how you're feeling.

Consistently prioritizing the areas NF52 mentioned is a good plan. When I find myself going off the rails, I head back to our site Primer for a little motivation; it always seems to help. I also keep an eye on the research, see what's new in our Wiki and follow forum discussions.

Robin, please feel free to ask questions and share your thoughts any time. I enjoyed reading the post of a kindred spirit and am looking forward to hearing more from you!
warmly, Lucy
Robinh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robinh »

NF52:
I'm happy to hear that I made you laugh. Laughter helps a lot. With everything :)

I feel like I'm doing most of the right things, though I'm not perfect certainly. I check most of the labs that Bredesen recommends, and although my results are often considered "ideal" by the lab's standards, they are still shy of what Bredesen considers ideal for AD prevention.

"Social enhancements" (Or as you put it "finding purpose and meaning") is probably the area where I'm failing at currently. When life feels meaningful, I tend to stress less about my health and ironically feel healthier. But I've always been a bit of a lone wolf. Riding the spokes of human society has never come naturally to me, and I tend to find it more stifling than rewarding. But we all have to find our place in society. We have no choice as humans. We don't even have the option of going feral. If we choose to go live naked in the trees, we have to do it on someone's property, and I guarantee you that whoever that someone is will not be amused. No, I don't want to be homeless, and I like having my MacBook Pro and high speed internet, so that I can peek my little wolfie snout into people's lives without over-extending myself socially. Also, I like to read. Read, read, read... That may be my saving grace for AD prevention.

I do have absolutely atrocious verbal recall at times. I feel I can only access a small percentage of my vocabulary, and forget the names of people I've been close to. The other day, I was talking about my travels and couldn't remember the name of a country I was going to visit (Croatia). In the same conversation, I couldn't remember the name of one of my cousins (whom I've spent plenty of time with). Thankfully the conversation was in French, so I could play it off as a foreign language problem. This has been going on for a long time, but getting worse. I tend to be cavalier about it, reasoning that I don't hold onto meaningless bits of information only because my mind has far loftier goals to occupy itself with. Names are meaningless (since it is the person who matters), as are strings of random numbers or characters (passwords for example). But it's all relative, isn't it? The fact that my brain has decided these things were no longer important to remember might just indicate that it's having a hard time keeping up in general.

I do still have many memories from very early childhood (including some from under 1 year of age), but they say ApoE4 kids have enhanced memory. Ironic isn't it?

I also have subtle mental lapses when I suddenly don't remember what I was doing or saying ("brain farts" as they're so delicately referred to). I tend to assume these are cortisol related (which doesn't exactly make it ok). It may just be that I hit my head really hard twice in my life (and on the exact same spot incidentally), and so I'm destined for some amount of dinginess.

Fortunately I do not feel mentally deficient in any other way. Although I don't have the sheer calculating power and intensity of thought that I had in my 20s in grad school (which was almost a bit much), I feel I am far wiser at 49 and more intelligent in the ways that count :)
APOE4/4 + family history
Robinh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robinh »

Hi Lucy, I just now saw your reply. What you say makes so much sense. I'm starting to get the feeling that the culture on this forum supports a very wise and balanced approach to health. This is great to see. You make a great point about not being perfect but not going off the rails in any particular area that's important for AD prevention. I realize I tend to focus too hard on certain areas (where I'm probably already doing well), and yet still ignore the areas where I really need to put more attention (like the "social enhancements" area I mentioned in my last post).

Thank you all for being so welcoming and supportive. It's really heartening to get these responses. So many health related forums are all ego and "bro science." Horrible. This is a nice surprise.
APOE4/4 + family history
Poetry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Poetry »

I just wanted to make a quick comment on the 'egg' aspect of this thread. I raise chickens for eggs (not meat).

If you're buying eggs at a grocery store, they are VERY different from local eggs. To begin with, they are much older.

If you are seeing ORANGE yolks (which are in fact better), that is NOT from free ranging, pasture eating, bugs, grasses, etc. That is from some kind of supplement, like pumpkin or apricots (it's a huge list). Chickens would not typically (especially not commercially) find the 'orange' colored items to eat in an every day pasture or field. Sometimes, commercial egg companies even throw corn into an open free ranging pasture for the chickens...which makes yolks orange.

If you are buying eggs that are "high in Omega 3's"...that is again, not from free ranging. The chickens are given flax seed to increase Omega 3 in the eggs.

Chickens need seed and grain. They cannot live very long from just grasses and bugs. And that is what the big chicken industry does...keep a chicken for 6-12 months for eggs, then kill it.
Seed and grain is not bad for chickens...they forage, but still have nutritional requirements. What is important is that chickens are not fed corn or soy, and that the feed is organic.

Lastly...the great thing about chickens...they will only eat what they need! They won't overeat and they won't eat grain if they don't need it!

My chickens free range my entire property, eat bugs, grass (only sometime, they really don't like it), weeds, scrap veggies and fruit, and pick at the organic feed in the evening. I have beautiful orange yolk eggs.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Poetry wrote:I just wanted to make a quick comment on the 'egg' aspect of this thread.
Thanks Poetry, I didn't know they were using supplements to turn yolks more orange.

I buy pastured eggs from places like Whole Foods, Sprouts and Natural Grocers. I like the Vital Farms line best, at least the yolks are the most orange, but now I wonder ...

I really must find time to get back to our farmers markets and get to know the local egg producers.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I stayed in a B&B in south west New Mexico a while back. They had chickens that roosted in the trees. They fed them the scraps from breakfast - like egg shells and most everything else. The eggs had a very deep yellow yolk and were the most amazing eggs I've ever had.
Tincup
E3,E4
Poetry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Poetry »

You're welcome Circular! I was so happy that I had something to contribute!

If you can't get local eggs, those places that you named are great. Pasteurized eggs are still the best. I just wanted everyone to know more info.
Orange yolks are still the best as well. It means that the chicken was fed more than just grains, seeds, grass and bugs. It doesn't do much for us (eating the eggs), but it is healthier for the chickens, and tastier eggs.
Try to look for high Omega 3 eggs (meaning the chickens had flax seed), and look for soy free and corn free.

Tincup: That's where I live! :) My chickens don't roost in trees though, lol. Chickens love eggs. I don't feed mine eggs though...it's just weird, lol. But I do give them dried egg shells for calcium. It makes the egg shell nice and strong.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Poetry wrote:Pasteurized eggs are still the best.
I think you mean pastured ;) ... probably autocorrect at play.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Poetry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Poetry »

Ha ha! So sorry. "Pasteurized" eggs would be very weird! Don't eat those ;)

Thanks for catching that!
bexnews
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bexnews »

Can someone clarify Gundry's current position on bone broth? Just some weeks ago (would have to dig up) he told someone on a Facebook live video that they could have their bone broth if they wanted cancer. I thought it was a bit snark, but nonetheless.... he did write up a big article on his reasoning from March 2017 here: https://www.elephantjournal.com/2017/03 ... d-for-you/

But then I am told his recent cookbook has a bone broth recipe in it? Published 4/2018. And then he just released his Peak Mobility product last week, in which the promo video he makes bone broth out to be a delicious healthy food. So which is it? Another case of the marketing influencing his message? Is there a distinction between beef broth and other broths? I am confused.