Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Julie G »

Searcher, thank you for catching my boo boo! I'm currently brain dead with full-blown flu :shock: and I need your proofing especially today.

While there may not be a J-shaped curve, the "linear" correlation appears pretty flat between 2-6 egg/week, no? AND, given the evidence that the highest egg intake vs. the lowest is associated with better cognition (for E4 carriers specifically), I'd be hesitant to drop them from my diet. They're an excellent inexpensive source of protein and many nutrients vital for brain health.
Conclusions: Neither cholesterol nor egg intake is associated with an increased risk of incident dementia or AD in Eastern Finnish men. Instead, moderate egg intake may have a beneficial association with certain areas of cognitive performance.
It's worth noting that a 2013 meta-analysis looking at CVD risk & mortality specifically comes up with a different conclusion, but finds the warning to apply to those with diabetes. Given that many of us strongly control for diabetic risk factors, maintaining very low glycemic markers, I can't help but wonder if we'd be further protected- wild speculation :idea: .
Conclusions: This meta-analysis suggests that egg consumption is not associated with the risk of CVD and cardiac mortality in the general population. However, egg consumption may be associated with an increased incidence of type 2 diabetes among the general population and CVD comorbidity among diabetic patients.
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Julie G wrote:Searcher, thank you for catching my boo boo! I'm currently brain dead with full-blown flu :shock: and I need your proofing especially today.
Oooh. Poor you, Julie. Get well soon. Despite the flu, I find evidence of a sharp brain.

Yes, I'm not prepared to give up eggs altogether because they do have benefits as you point out. Besides, if they're boiled to the exact right point, I find the yolks pretty delicious. I was sorry to have to cut back from 3 a day, but too much of a good thing can apparently be bad for you.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Searcher!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I think the level of caution should be the same regardless of conflict of interest. One could dismiss valid results just because they make the assumption that they’re tainted. That’s not too objective either, even if results in the context of a conflict of interest are often tainted.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Oh, haha, duh, I see that point was already made. Didn’t know there were more pages in the thread. Think I’m going from two eggs a day to one egg a day.

Does anyone know exactly what about eggs is the issue? If one can get too much choline, then I have to watch my choline supplements too? Hope I didn’t miss this, and no time to read and digest papers.

Julie, wishing you a speedy recovery!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I looked at all of Dr. Greger's references on nutritionfacts.org as well as Searcher's. Like many nutrition studies, these are all based on questionnaires. From all I know, these are weak data (for example, people aren't truthful in their answers, plus their habits change). I've been watching presentations on a nutrition on a different topic for the last few days at a conference, and most of the data are also based on questionnaires. Not something I would base my decisions on. Just my point of view.
Tincup
E3,E4
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

Tincup wrote:people aren't truthful in their answers
Tincup,

This becomes an issue if people are systematically misrepresenting their egg intake. For example, IF those destined for a premature death were systematically exaggerating their egg intake. That would make apparent associations unreliable.

Otherwise, random misrepresentations cancel out. The larger the number of subjects in a study, the smaller the influence of random misrepresentations.

In this case, it's difficult to see why those who were unknowingly destined for premature death would systematically exaggerate their egg intake. So, this evidence seems convincing.

Of course, stronger evidence to the contrary would refute it. If you come across such reliable contrary evidence, please share.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Searcher wrote:
Tincup wrote:people aren't truthful in their answers
Tincup,

This becomes an issue if people are systematically misrepresenting their egg intake. For example, IF those destined for a premature death were systematically exaggerating their egg intake. That would make apparent associations unreliable.

Otherwise, random misrepresentations cancel out. The larger the number of subjects in a study, the smaller the influence of random misrepresentations.

In this case, it's difficult to see why those who were unknowingly destined for premature death would systematically exaggerate their egg intake. So, this evidence seems convincing.

Of course, stronger evidence to the contrary would refute it. If you come across such reliable contrary evidence, please share.
My opinion, it is why there is such controversy in the nutrition space. Much of the "science" is based on weak evidence.

Virta Health is offering low carb diet consulting for T2 diabetics. One of the things they have the patients do is check & record ketones. Hence you can see from their data that the people are actually following a low carb diet as they have positive levels of ketones. Such data are much more powerful than questionnaires, which are typically recorded once.
Tincup
E3,E4
Searcher
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Searcher »

The evidence on egg intake being associated with all-cause mortality seems unequivocal.

I understand that it might be inconvenient, in which case it is understandably tempting to dismiss the evidence.

But a disinterested observer would require specific evidence to refute this association. Specific to egg intake, that is.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Searcher, absoluteiy correct. Its IMO similar to the saturated fat issue. I'm not convinced of the evidence for the latter but I chose to hedge my bets and keep my intake low until more evidence arises (if it ever does).
I'm balancing inconvenience (not the right word but it'll serve as a place-holder until I find a better one) against safety. Like with most other things I do for my 4/4 status.

Balance and looking honestly at my biases so they don't affect my choices. And of course equanimity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk