Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
ScoutM
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by ScoutM »

Tincup, this is incredibly helpful information, thank you so much!
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

I found some more about Gundry's recommendations on the Goop website. However the fact that it is on Goop itself makes me wonder, to be honest. I haven't really been there before but think it is full of quite kooky ideas. (Crystal vaginal eggs and steaming, anyone?) It seems he is an advisor there. I didn't see much about the seafood.

I have to say I found the bit about women giving birth being related to AD later a bit 'woo'. :?

"We also know that during labor and birth, the gut wall becomes permeable to bacteria and pieces of bacteria cell walls (LPS’s), and frequently incites an ongoing immune response to other organs, as well as nerves cells, in a self-attacking process called molecular mimicry. (I would bet that giving birth is a factor in the increased dementia risk that women face, but this hasn’t been thoroughly studied yet.)"

https://goop.com/wellness/health/could- ... n-the-gut/
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

jenbehappy wrote:
SusanJ wrote:Jen, animal fat has to do with saturated fats, which are longer chain fatty acids (or have more carbon molecules). Many of us see our LDL go up when we eat saturated fats, because e4s start with a higher baseline LDL, and high dietary saturated fat drives LDL synthesis at hepatocyte level. Coconut oil is another saturated fat, but is considered a shorter chain fatty acid than animal fats.

If you want to know more, I suggest spending some time in the primer, starting at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418&start=10#p15813 because lipids are a complex area without a simple answer.
I have been eating animal fat, grass fed butter, grass fed beef and coconut oil for over a year. I started ketogenic diet because I needed to reduce pain in my thumb arthritis and lose 10 lb. It worked. I didn't know I had ApoE3/4 until few months ago. But my blood work and lipids are good, I think?
B12: 1894
Vit D3: 50.9
AST: 24
ALT: 18
Homosysteine 7.7 (maybe high?)
HgbA1c : 5.2
TC: 210
TG: 54
HDL-c: 76
small dense: <90
Total Cholesterol : HDL =Ratio: 2.7
Trig : HDL = Ratio : 0.7
Fasting insulin: 2.4 Low
LP-IR Score (Insulin Resistance): <25
C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac: 0.15
Apolipoprotein A-1: 187
Apolipoprotein B: 101
Apolipo. B/A-1 Ratio: 0.5

Do you think its ok to neat animal fat with this blood work? Is small dense ldl Dr. Gundry is worry about when eating animal fat?
Thank you

I also eat sat fats and HDL high and LDL low so going to continue with it. I'm 3/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Orangeblossom wrote:I also eat sat fats and HDL high and LDL low so going to continue with it. I'm 3/4
I too have high HDL and low LDL, but independent of that, Dr Gundry looks into is the sdLDLs which is an "ApoE4 thing." I have to work at maintaining low saturated fat levels to keep my sdLDL or oxLDL level at a reasonable level. He likes them below 30 and many ApoE4s tend to run high. Do you know your sdLDL or or oxLDL? That's more of an indicator if you need to throttle back on saturated fat than HDL or LDL.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

TheresaB wrote:
Orangeblossom wrote:I also eat sat fats and HDL high and LDL low so going to continue with it. I'm 3/4
I too have high HDL and low LDL, but independent of that, Dr Gundry looks into is the sdLDLs which is an "ApoE4 thing." I have to work at maintaining low saturated fat levels to keep my sdLDL or oxLDL level at a reasonable level. He likes them below 30 and many ApoE4s tend to run high. Do you know your sdLDL or or oxLDL? That's more of an indicator if you need to throttle back on saturated fat than HDL or LDL.

Hi Theresa, no I don't have those figures; NHS doesn't test for it. Overall HDL is 1.6 X rest of cholesterol and overall LDL very low, so I am OK with that for now I think. I agree it may be a good idea to look at if you have the chance. But I'm hoping that in my case the much higher HDL outweighs the LDL problem- it does (HDL) increase and LDL go down with sat fats for me. Maybe I'm just an anomaly. But that in itself is encouraging for me to include them. Obviously if it was going the other way I might think differently about it.

Also, small dense LDL is associated with MetSy and I don't think that is a problem for me. It seems more related to intake of high GI carbs (Michael Mosely also agrees with this). See here for more info https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MwF ... sy&f=false

I'm not saying it is not something to be concerned about- I noted Dr Gundry seemed to feel it was more of a problem for E4s and lipidation, and didn't happen without the E4. So as a 3/4 I'm not as concerned as I might be if 4/4 as well. It's all about weighing up risks and benefits i think. and looking at how we are as individuals and our overall health and risk of Metabolic Syndrome.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Orangeblossom wrote:
TheresaB wrote:

Hi Theresa, no I don't have those figures; NHS doesn't test for it. Overall HDL is 1.6 X rest of cholesterol and overall LDL very low, so I am OK with that for now I think. I agree it may be a good idea to look at if you have the chance. But I'm hoping that in my case the much higher HDL outweighs the LDL problem- it does (HDL) increase and LDL go down with sat fats for me. Maybe I'm just an anomaly. But that in itself is encouraging for me to include them. Obviously if it was going the other way I might think differently about it.

Also, small dense LDL is associated with MetSy and I don't think that is a problem for me. It seems more related to intake of high GI carbs (Michael Mosely also agrees with this). See here for more info https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MwF ... sy&f=false

This is also mentioned in The End of Alzheimer's book (P251)

"The problem with saturated fat occurs when it is combined with sugars or other simple carbohydrates and lack of fibre. If you are keeping up your fibre intake and minimising simple carbohydrates then saturated fat is usually not a problem"

I'm not saying it is not something to be concerned about- I noted Dr Gundry seemed to feel it was more of a problem for E4s and lipidation, and didn't happen without the E4. So as a 3/4 I'm not as concerned as I might be if 4/4 as well. It's all about weighing up risks and benefits i think. and looking at how we are as individuals and our overall health and risk of Metabolic Syndrome.
jeff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeff »

Tincup, re: your notes from Dr. G about coconut oil. Contradiction? 2016 video he told questioner no good,maybe mcts better??? Jeff
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

jeff wrote:Tincup, re: your notes from Dr. G about coconut oil. Contradiction? 2016 video he told questioner no good,maybe mcts better??? Jeff
Welcome to the website jeff.

Tincup and TheresaB are definitely our experts on Dr Gundry, since they consult with him regularly. Most intellectually curious and open minded professionals will change their approach and opinion over time as new data comes in. Dr Gundry is in this category. Since ApoE4s are at higher risk for both AD and cardiovascular disease (such as heart attacks), Dr Gundry recommends less saturated fat. I think over time that he has concluded that MCT oil should be avoided as well as coconut oil due to saturated fat levels. So I don't think there is a contradiction, but more of an evolution of Dr Gundry's approach to keeping people healthy for the long term.

You will notice that other medical professionals, and our membership, have different opinions on the benefits and risks of saturated fats.

For future reference, if you want to make sure that the author of one post (like Tincup) sees your response or followup question, use the quote icon in the right upper corner of their post. That way the author will get notification that someone has commented on their post and be more likely to respond. I have done this in my reply to you!
Slacker
E4/E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

jeff wrote:Tincup, re: your notes from Dr. G about coconut oil. Contradiction? 2016 video he told questioner no good,maybe mcts better??? Jeff
He's changed his recommendations over time as a result of labs for E4's. He does not recommend coconut or MCT oil for E4's at this point. He's observed these can increase sdLDL in E4's.
Tincup
E3,E4
jeff
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeff »

Tincup wrote:
He's changed his recommendations over time as a result of labs for E4's. He does not recommend coconut or MCT oil for E4's at this point. He's observed these can increase sdLDL in E4's.
Tincup wrote:
jeff wrote:Tincup, re: your notes from Dr. G about coconut oil. Contradiction? 2016 video he told questioner n
Tincup wrote:
o good,maybe mcts better??? Jeff

Orangeblossom wrote:
jenbehappy wrote:
SusanJ wrote:Jen, animal fat has to do with saturated fats, which are longer chain fatty acids (or have more carbon molecules). Many of us see our LDL go up when we eat saturated fats, because e4s start with a higher baseline LDL, and high dietary saturated fat drives LDL synthesis at hepatocyte level. Coconut oil is another saturated fat, but is considered a shorter chain fatty acid than animal fats.

If you want to know more, I suggest spending some time in the primer, starting at viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418&start=10#p15813 because lipids are a complex area without a simple answer.
I have been eating animal fat, grass fed butter, grass fed beef and coconut oil for over a year. I started ketogenic diet because I needed to reduce pain in my thumb arthritis and lose 10 lb. It worked. I didn't know I had ApoE3/4 until few months ago. But my blood work and lipids are good, I think?
B12: 1894
Vit D3: 50.9
AST: 24
ALT: 18
Homosysteine 7.7 (maybe high?)
HgbA1c : 5.2
TC: 210
TG: 54
HDL-c: 76
small dense: <90
Total Cholesterol : HDL =Ratio: 2.7
Trig : HDL = Ratio : 0.7
Fasting insulin: 2.4 Low
LP-IR Score (Insulin Resistance): <25
C-Reactive Protein, Cardiac: 0.15
Apolipoprotein A-1: 187
Apolipoprotein B: 101
Apolipo. B/A-1 Ratio: 0.5

Do you think its ok to neat animal fat with this blood work? Is small dense ldl Dr. Gundry is worry about when eating animal fat?
Thank you

I also eat sat fats and HDL high and LDL low so going to continue with it. I'm 3/4