Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Julie G »

I've been on the road driving all day, but so happy to see your remarks :D This feels big to me.

Through experimentation, I've been tweaking Dr. Perlmutter's diet (less animals fats/proteins) to make it heart healthy for 4/4 me. Then, to find, Dr. Grundy, a top notch heart surgeon, recommending a diet very similar to the one I've settled on- wow!!! This is the confirmation I've needed. Once I'm back home and able to devote some time to this, I'm going to email Dr. Grundy with a list of questions. I may try to set up a phone call or Skype with him to learn more. Maybe a teleconference with us all? From what I understand (Lilly can confirm) the current book foes NOT go into detail for E4s, but the pending 2nd book may.

And, Robb Wolfe is having success with heavy MUFA too? Any idea of macronutrient ratios Robb is recommending?
I still can't reconcile in my mind avoidance of natural animal fats with my laymen's understanding of evolutionary history and E4 as the ancestral allele, but willing to follow data and best insight.
You and me both, Russ. I KNEW you'd be hung up on this. I also find it ironic that the ancestral allele can't handle animal fats? I keep going back to the idea that we are undoing damage. Our current healthful diet is perhaps a reaction to past insults...

EDIT: Jan Peter, I can hardly wait for yours and Sandra's NMRs! Please share.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Julie, was on road all day as well. Would love to do a team call w Dr. Gundry. Meanwhile, I'll contact Robb re more info on their practice.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bentkat »

I first listened to the Gundry interview and was impressed enough to buy the book.

Now I've read his book. I don't think he is anti-vegan at all, just anti high-carb veganism. Dr Gundry goes to length to demonstrate that vegetables are high protein. He doesn't approve of any diet that gets most of its calories from pasta & legumes.
esb76
Contributor
Contributor

Post by esb76 »

Listening to Dr Gundry's podcast with Keifer and Dr Patel is how I first learned about APOE 4 status and it prompted me to check my 23andme results (I am 2/4). I sent Dr Gundry a FB message and I asked him about 2/4 status and saturated fat intake and this was his response:

"Please avoid animal saturated fats. Plant saturated data like coconut oil are okay. Shellfish are the best protein sources. Avoid animal proteins as much as possible, including cheeses. No, bacon is definitely not your friend for your gene"

Just FYI he also has a pretty interesting podcast with Jimmy Moore on the "Ask the Low Carb Experts" show (NOT the LLVLC show) it's episode 35. He does mention APOE 4 several times in that podcast also.
Last edited by esb76 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Cool stuff -- thanks for the tip!

But:
They then flip them to higher MUFA diet and markers get better. Maybe time to back to Robb for deeper insight on that...
has this been published in the form of a peer-reviewed article anywhere? I couldn't find it.

Anyone?

There are reasons why scientists (generally) don't put much stock in the information presented by people who write books, blogs, do web interviews, etc.

Don't mean to be a downer, just want to strike a note of skepticism.

But everything Gundry says certainly seems sensible to me!

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Amen, Bentkat- same as Dr. Perlmutter. I should have made that distinction. Does he go into ApoE4 in the book?

Thanks, esb, I'll try to track that down and take a listen.

Yes, G- no formal studies. THAT''s why I'm excited to be getting any confirmation aside from my own experience ;)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

G, you got me thinking. We HAVE seen some mousie studies supporting Dr, Gundy 's approach for E4s. Remember this oldie:

Low-cholesterol and high-fat diets reduce atherosclerotic lesion development in ApoE-knockout mice.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10521366
Janpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janpeter »

Why the emphasis on shellfish. Seafood I understand, but what is it about shellfish that makes it a better choice for E4's ?
APO E3/4
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

Hey Russ,
Can you post the link to the podcast?

Janpeter, I too am waiting to se what dietary changes have done to my Feb NMR LDLp of 2500 and TC of almost 300. Morning of NMR, TC was 220 on my cardiochek. Starting to like that EVOO. :D

But Steve Gundrys podcast said better for E4's to avoid fatty fish and I had just started eating salmon for the omegas. Then he said how important Omega 3s are. So what about that contradiction?

And Russ, I sure don't want it to be, but the research I read makes it look like cause of CVD is all about LDLp and inflammation. I want it to be, that if inflammation low, LDLp not as important, but from what I read no experts are saying that. I have read that from Peter Attia, Dr Dayspring, and more. Dr Dayspring, the lipid expert from Richmond Va thinks it all about LDLp and that high LDLp is the CAUSE of CVD, not just a marker. Sigh. :(
Sandra Z
E4,E4
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by giftsplash »

Juliegee,

If you are going to send a list of questions to Dr. Gundry I think we should come up with a list.

Some of my questions would be:

1) Ideal cholesterol intake for Apoe4's?
2) What is it in animal saturated fats that makes it bad for Apoe4's compared to other types of saturated fats?
3) What are the most important bio markers he monitors for patients and what is the ideal range?
4) Ideal fat/protein/carb ratios for Apoe4 diet
5) Are eggs ok for Apoe4's
6) Any supplementations he recommends.
7) What is it about shellfish that is so important to Apoe4's

Also Julie you seem to be one of the few people on here who have had success with high fat diet and low LDL-P. Can you discuss what your animal saturated fat intake is, and also how much MUFA are you taking in as well.

Thanks