Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nick
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Post by Nick »

For those looking for a brief introductionto Bredesen & MEND these two links provide good overviews:
http://www.alzheimersweekly.com/2014/10 ... emory.html
http://www.aging-us.com/article/100690/text#fulltext

In really short text ... Bredesen's MEND is not a specific diet ( I found no "MEND" diet) but diet is part of it. Best I can tell, most any diet similar to the Mediterranean Diet, as implemented in the Mediterranean way, can be used as a basis. YMMV and as such with any diet, tweak to your own needs. MEND rates/evaluates 36 parameters, tries to move yours towards current normal, readjusts through the process as well as changing other lifestyle factors(exercise, stress, sleep, etc). Maintenance afterwards tends towards lifestyle and diet, and relaxes monitoring frequency of the 36 factors.

For those familiar with the book: Alzheimer's Prevention and Treatment Diet (APT Diet), Mend is similar in concept, different in parameters monitored (but with overlap). The APT Diet is not a specific diet either.

Dr. Gundry provides a specific diet. He is clearer relative what to eat and not to eat.

If one's question relates to ... you've read through a bunch of posts and are wondering "what to do today?" then Dr. Gundry is something you can start implementing now. MEND and APT seem to start with labs, markers and a customized plan and thus are more complicated especially if you are remote from them. Depending on the urgency (your personal condition) may define which is a better path.

========================================= Here is where I generalize ... sorry :D
IMHO ... It seems a common theme amongst Cancer, MS, AD and probably more including general health is the importance of proper metabolism fueling (including drilling down to mitochondria consideration). It is not one thing but many things. This is not a new theme but seems to be gaining more support. Common factors include, but may not be limited to:
- In terms of an "eating style/diet" the true Mediterranean Diet is a good start but it can be tweaked.
and
- Consume things that read more like they come from a heritage seed catalog than a fertilizer or chemical catalog
and
- Reduce (minimize) sugars or foods that yield quickly to sugars regardless of how natural they are
and
- Avoid things that cause you low level inflammation, inflammation you cannot "feel/sense", regardless of how natural they are
and
- You need fat but you need fat that works for your specific system, not against. MUFA preferred, PUFA may be OK , Saturated is problematic for some genotypes. Avoid trans-fat.
and
- With animal protein, swimming >flying>running (">" means Better for you). Being wild> being farmed
and
- Nature's original version at a minimum are neutral and often serve us better than man made modifications and versions
and
- All things in moderation including moderation (occasionally) ... Too much of a good thing is not always a good thing (too much of a bad thing is still a bad thing)
and
- Physiologically, who you were when is not who you are today or will be tomorrow. And your needs change per who you are in time.
and
- Get up, get out, get moving, get thinking, get peace, get interaction, get love, get rest ...

The and portion is important because as you get closer to only one of them (any one of them) you reduce the anti cancer, MS, AD, etc, benefit.
Kathy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kathy »

Thank you George and George's wonderful wife for all this incredibly helpful information. It helps to not feel so overwhelmed with a forum like this to share. I'm so inspired to begin Dr. Gundry's plan for Lectin avoidance and healthy recovery. With all of this newfound information, I've got my hands full with getting caught up to speed. Blessings for your kindness and generosity in sharing the details of your conversations with Dr Gundry. I find this so helpful.
Sincerely,
Kathy
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kathy wrote:Thank you George and George's wonderful wife for all this incredibly helpful information. It helps to not feel so overwhelmed with a forum like this to share. I'm so inspired to begin Dr. Gundry's plan for Lectin avoidance and healthy recovery. With all of this newfound information, I've got my hands full with getting caught up to speed. Blessings for your kindness and generosity in sharing the details of your conversations with Dr Gundry. I find this so helpful.
Sincerely,
Kathy
Hi Kathy,

You are welcome. Theresa & I are glad you find it useful!
Tincup
E3,E4
Kathy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kathy »

Hi George,
I had another question for you....is there any data on the Eat Fat/ Get Thin book by Dr. Mark Hyman ? I'm just wondering if that type of eating is hazardous to E4/E4 genotypes.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kathy wrote:Hi George,
I had another question for you....is there any data on the Eat Fat/ Get Thin book by Dr. Mark Hyman ? I'm just wondering if that type of eating is hazardous to E4/E4 genotypes.
I've not read Dr. Hyman's book.

In a general sense, though not accepted by everybody, eating a lot of saturated fat may not be ideal for E4's. I'm guessing Hyman is trying to minimize insulin responses with a high fat, low refined carb diet. Certainly reducing insulin resistance is a high priority for E4's. I eat a high fat diet, but the fat mostly comes from olive, avocado, macadamia, perilla oils and whole food fats from avocados, macadamia, pecan, walnut, pistachio & hazel nuts (plus supplemental DHA & EPA from fish oil). Dr. Gundry has observed that animal fat, including dairy tends to increase sdLDL (most likely to oxidize) in E4's. Personally, I think insulin resistance is a stronger negative health signal than saturated fats, so if I had to choose, I'd choose sat. fats over being insulin resistant. But I don't have to choose - I can do both.

Again, not everybody on this forum may agree with me. There are some who advocate a very low fat diet.
Tincup
E3,E4
Kathy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kathy »

Thank you for the response. Dr. Hyman pretty much advocates what Dr. Gundry does as far as low/no grains, etc. The only difference that I've found is that Dr. Hyman does not appear too concerned with lectins. He does however, recommend no more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup of beans per day. He calls his approach the Pegan Diet. Paleo/Vegan with 75 percent of food coming from vegetables. With protein at each meal (no larger a portion than the palm of your hand) and the same healthy fats that Dr. Gundry recommends.

I just read about Dr. Bredesen. Any thoughts on his comprehensive approach to eliminating/ minimizing the risk for AD? I was exciting to learn about the cases where the early stages of cognitive decline have been reversed with the MEND protocol.

https://www.mpicognition.com

My Mom is 85 with no cognitive issues and is very healthy and my Dad is 84 and still works full-time. I'm the oldest child andhave the E4/E4, so I'm wondering what the other three children in our family could have received.....Would I be the only one with this combo? I had the test done five years ago,without the awareness that it would show the risk. The physician ran the test as a "favor" for me to answer my question to him of, "what kind of diet should I be on? High carbohydrates or High fat." I was unprepared to read the AD genetic risk...and it scared the heck out of me!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kathy wrote:Thank you for the response. Dr. Hyman pretty much advocates what Dr. Gundry does as far as low/no grains, etc. The only difference that I've found is that Dr. Hyman does not appear too concerned with lectins. He does however, recommend no more than 1/2 cup to 1 cup of beans per day. He calls his approach the Pegan Diet. Paleo/Vegan with 75 percent of food coming from vegetables. With protein at each meal (no larger a portion than the palm of your hand) and the same healthy fats that Dr. Gundry recommends.

I just read about Dr. Bredesen. Any thoughts on his comprehensive approach to eliminating/ minimizing the risk for AD? I was exciting to learn about the cases where the early stages of cognitive decline have been reversed with the MEND protocol.

https://www.mpicognition.com
In our post you'll see a file where we integrate our advice with Bredesen's, specifically in this table which is uploaded in the post.
My Mom is 85 with no cognitive issues and is very healthy and my Dad is 84 and still works full-time. I'm the oldest child and have the E4/E4, so I'm wondering what the other three children in our family could have received.....Would I be the only one with this combo?
There is no way to know. My wife is 4/4 and I did the math in my head on a ski lift one day as she has 4 siblings. This was 3 or 4 years ago and from memory, so may be slightly off. Knowing nothing about her parents' status (they are dead), each sib had like an 87% chance of having at least one 4. All we know about the parents is they each have at least one 4. So both could be 3/4's, one or the other could be 4/4 or both could be 4/4. That both your parents are in their mid 80s and doing well would argue against them being 4/4's but not all 4/4's do badly. There is a significant chance others could be 4/4's. Each person's chances are independent of the others.

I don't know the status of my children's mother, though her dad lived to 92 without many cognitive issues. Her mom is now 93 and the last couple of years she's had some dementia. However I'm guessing she's a 3/3. My kids have a 50% chance of getting my 4 gene. That is all I know for certain.
Tincup
E3,E4
Kathy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kathy »

Thank you again, George. I find your answers very helpful in my journey. Interesting about my siblings. I had thought that perhaps some of them could be 2/4. My parents obviously do have at least one 4. But couldn't they have possibly been 2/4, 2/4? And I just happened to get the 4's from them both?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kathy wrote:Thank you again, George. I find your answers very helpful in my journey. Interesting about my siblings. I had thought that perhaps some of them could be 2/4. My parents obviously do have at least one 4. But couldn't they have possibly been 2/4, 2/4? And I just happened to get the 4's from them both?
Sure, that is possible.

Testing is the only way to know for sure.
Tincup
E3,E4
Kathy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kathy »

:D