Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:00 am

Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby Greenie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:46 am

My thought on animal fat, as well as what I have gleaned from "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari (a cool read on the history and evolution of humans), is that maybe our ancestors were not the master hunters that we envisioned them to be, at least not while we were all APOE 4/4. We were more scavenger-like, eating bone marrow from other animals left overs, convenient fruits and vegetables, and small animals infrequently. Shellfish makes sense, since their natural defenses kept them safe from other animals, but not from humans with our high finger dexterity and intelligence. We all know we need fat to survive, so it must have come from mostly plant based sources as well as our small animal intake. The 4/4 clearly offered us some protection from parasites and illnesses present at the time. As we moved away from our readily available plant sources and into colder climates relying on animal fat/protein the APOE 3/3 would prove a great advantage. I am still hesitant of SF, even from plant based sources, because it can alter cell membrane structure and permeability over time (if taken in excess, some SF is clearly needed). Poor membrane permeability leads to insulin resistance especially in the presence of excess sugar/and processed carbs.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... po=27.7778



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 5138
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby circular » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 am

apod, I eat nuts daily, but I found that soaking them overnight makes them better digestible. I keep all my nuts in the freezer and rotate them, each night getting my next days' amount from the freezer and putting in the fridge in water for the next day.

Theresa thanks for that! Now I really want to know what other lectins he sees as binding to brain insulin receptors. (I haven't eaten wheat for nine years now.) This might be the link I've been waiting for to resolve:

Women with high adiponectin = more dementia (Framingham)
High adiponectin = lectin sensitivity
Lectins > insulin receptors > dementia
High adiponectin > lectins > insulin receptors > dementia

Watching for some hard science and hope his book provides it ...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

User avatar
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:46 pm
Location: Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby cdamaden » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Re: saturated fats, I've always found Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's perspective to be informative. Here she discusses her conclusions on the sweet spot for saturated fat and overall fat consumption and includes a short section on APOE4s.
"ApoE4 carriers see a much higher spike in LDL cholesterol from eating large amounts of saturated fat (without a rise in HDL to match). And, they’re the group most likely to benefit from lower-saturated-fat diets, since decreasing their saturated fat intake causes a sharp decline in LDL cholesterol and an improvement in the HDL/LDL ratio
.... which means being conservative with saturated fat intake, and not going gung-ho on things like buttered coffee and tons of bacon. "

"Overall, the research points towards a moderate fat intake (30-40% of calories, perhaps as high as 50% for some people) and moderate saturated fat intake (10-20% of calories) being ideal for maintaining all aspects of our health."

"If we stick to a Paleo diet rich in phytochemical-rich plant foods (especially vegetables), adequate fiber and prebiotics to support gut health, and reasonable quantities of high-quality meat, seafood, and eggs, we stand the best shot at boosting our health and averting disease!"

https://www.thepaleomom.com/saturated-f ... n-between/
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA

apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby apod » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:43 pm

circular wrote:apod, I eat nuts daily, but I found that soaking them overnight makes them better digestible. I keep all my nuts in the freezer and rotate them, each night getting my next days' amount from the freezer and putting in the fridge in water for the next day.

Theresa thanks for that! Now I really want to know what other lectins he sees as binding to brain insulin receptors. (I haven't eaten wheat for nine years now.) This might be the link I've been waiting for to resolve:

Women with high adiponectin = more dementia (Framingham)
High adiponectin = lectin sensitivity
Lectins > insulin receptors > dementia
High adiponectin > lectins > insulin receptors > dementia

Watching for some hard science and hope his book provides it ...

I'll have to switch to soaking nuts. I wonder if it's better to buy the soaked + sprouted + dehydrated nuts for convenience, or if I can save on some oxidation by soaking myself and eating them somewhat soggy. Digestion-wise, I don't notice too much if I chew my food up well. Surprisingly dandelion greens / thin asparagus stems seem to have the most potential to mess up my digestion (I'm guessing because I'll eat a ton of the stuff and it'll be kind of pokey in my stomach.)

My last adiponectin test was 31.4 ug/mL from a reference range of 5.5 to 26.0. If I recall, lectins bind to leptin receptors, where my last leptin test was off the chart low as well (which might correlate with high leptin sensitivity and thus extra high lectin sensitivity?)

apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby apod » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:46 pm

cdamaden wrote:Re: saturated fats, I've always found Dr. Sarah Ballantyne's perspective to be informative. Here she discusses her conclusions on the sweet spot for saturated fat and overall fat consumption and includes a short section on APOE4s.
"ApoE4 carriers see a much higher spike in LDL cholesterol from eating large amounts of saturated fat (without a rise in HDL to match). And, they’re the group most likely to benefit from lower-saturated-fat diets, since decreasing their saturated fat intake causes a sharp decline in LDL cholesterol and an improvement in the HDL/LDL ratio
.... which means being conservative with saturated fat intake, and not going gung-ho on things like buttered coffee and tons of bacon. "

"Overall, the research points towards a moderate fat intake (30-40% of calories, perhaps as high as 50% for some people) and moderate saturated fat intake (10-20% of calories) being ideal for maintaining all aspects of our health."

"If we stick to a Paleo diet rich in phytochemical-rich plant foods (especially vegetables), adequate fiber and prebiotics to support gut health, and reasonable quantities of high-quality meat, seafood, and eggs, we stand the best shot at boosting our health and averting disease!"

https://www.thepaleomom.com/saturated-f ... n-between/

So at 35% fat, 80g of protein, and 2500kcal, maybe around 330g of net carbs and 70g of fiber for a 400g carb/d diet, ideally? Or, on a high-calorie day, maybe 450g+ carbs as 35% fat / 80g carbs / 80g fiber @ 35% fat. This seems high, where that high amount of fat + high amount of carbs seems like a recipe for high trigs / lower insulin sensitivity / higher body fat.

apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 961
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby apod » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm

TheresaB wrote:As I understand it, not all lectins are the same. Dr Gundry says the issue with grains isn’t gluten it’s the wheat germ agglutinin

So, with sprouted brown rice, nightshades in my pressure cooker, legumes in my pressure cooker, oat bran in my pressure cooker, I should be relatively-ok, since these are wheat germ agglutinin free? Even though with zucchini or tomato, I'd only be hitting it with heat for a couple minutes... (And maybe there's more lectins in nuts, cacao, coffee, etc than what I would get from soaked + cooked kidney bean?) I wish there was more data on this stuff. If I recall, lectins increase in some sprouted food.

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 5138
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:43 am

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby circular » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Totally agree on needing hard data on lectins, and I also heard some sprouts have more lectins. Ronda Patrick recently did a big podcast on broccoli sprouts and I'd like to know about those. Their benefits may even outweigh extra lectins?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

User avatar
TheresaB
Mod
Mod
Posts: 1042
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:46 am
Location: Front Range, CO

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby TheresaB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:47 am

Apod wrote
So, with sprouted brown rice, nightshades in my pressure cooker, legumes in my pressure cooker, oat bran in my pressure cooker, I should be relatively-ok, since these are wheat germ agglutinin free?


I believe yes, except for the oat bran. Also from the dinner Q&A session at the Ancestral Health Symosium that Dr Gundry provided, he said:
Yeah, a pressure cooker will totally destroy all the lectins except gluten. It’s impossible to destroy gluten with a pressure cooker. You can’t destroy the XXX (couldn’t catch what he said) compound in oats with a pressure cooker, even with an hour of pressure cooking, you can’t do it. It’ll destroy the lectins in tomatoes, zucchini, beans.


Circular wrote
Totally agree on needing hard data on lectins


Concur. Looking forward to Dr Gundry’s next book, The Plant Paradox FINALLY coming out on April 25th (been hearing about his next book about a year and a half now). Hopefully the book will satiate our needs. From the description on Amazon the book:
With a full list of lectin-containing foods and simple substitutes for each; a step-by-step detox and eating plan; and easy lectin-free recipes, The Plant Paradox illuminates the hidden dangers lurking in your salad bowl—and shows you how to eat whole foods in a whole new way.


Link to the book on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Paradox-Da ... 006242713X

I should add an unsolicited edit, that if anyone orders this or any thing else on Amazon, don't forget to use Amazon Smile and use ApoE4.Info as the beneficiary charity.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4

User avatar
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:46 pm
Location: Alameda, CA, USA

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby cdamaden » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 am

apod wrote:So at 35% fat, 80g of protein, and 2500kcal, maybe around 330g of net carbs and 70g of fiber for a 400g carb/d diet, ideally? Or, on a high-calorie day, maybe 450g+ carbs as 35% fat / 80g carbs / 80g fiber @ 35% fat. This seems high, where that high amount of fat + high amount of carbs seems like a recipe for high trigs / lower insulin sensitivity / higher body fat.


I'm currently at a higher fat diet of 60/20/20 so I can't attest for the macro nutrient ratios suggested. What I've seen her recommend is to eat your meals with a plate full of vegetables (say 4/5 coverage) and use protein as a topping (say 1/5). Use fat in your cooking and as a light dressing to taste. I take that to mean less than a 1 tablespoon per meal. Then supplement with some fruits as a dessert. Her approach is to not engineer the quantities you eat but instead to focus on the micronutriet dense foods and let your palate help direct the outcome. As with any other macronutriet suggestions, you just have to give it a try and see what your individual results are.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA

ERK
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 am

Re: Dr. Steven Gundry with diet recommendations for ApoE4

Postby ERK » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am

cdamaden wrote:
apod wrote:So at 35% fat, 80g of protein, and 2500kcal, maybe around 330g of net carbs and 70g of fiber for a 400g carb/d diet, ideally? Or, on a high-calorie day, maybe 450g+ carbs as 35% fat / 80g carbs / 80g fiber @ 35% fat. This seems high, where that high amount of fat + high amount of carbs seems like a recipe for high trigs / lower insulin sensitivity / higher body fat.


I'm currently at a higher fat diet of 60/20/20 so I can't attest for the macro nutrient ratios suggested. What I've seen her recommend is to eat your meals with a plate full of vegetables (say 4/5 coverage) and use protein as a topping (say 1/5). Use fat in your cooking and as a light dressing to taste. I take that to mean less than a 1 tablespoon per meal. Then supplement with some fruits as a dessert. Her approach is to not engineer the quantities you eat but instead to focus on the micronutriet dense foods and let your palate help direct the outcome. As with any other macronutriet suggestions, you just have to give it a try and see what your individual results are.


Sarah B based her approach on Terry Wahl's . I've been doing modified (modified for APOE4) AIP for months now. I love it and doubt I will ever eat another way . It's been so helpful out of all the approaches I had already tried.. My oldest daughter is about to embark on Terry Wahl's protocol for her neuro issues and I was telling her this morning the 2 overlap so much that she can just follow me but eat more fat and protein (she's a 3/3).


Return to “Prevention and Treatment”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

 

 

cron