Keto Diet and hypothyroidism

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Anna
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Keto Diet and hypothyroidism

Post by Anna »

Surupe wrote:I just did some searching and found that the Keto Diet is not recommended for those that have hypothyroidism (as I do). Any members have any knowledge on this topic?
I also have Hashimoto's and think this is an excellent question. I'm guessing you probably encountered this discussion: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/are-k ... id-disease. It appears that ketosis could potentially result in decreased levels of circulating thyroid hormones.

When my thyroid levels take a dip, I do indeed experience the brain fog and weakness (heavy limbs) that you describe. But I usually have some other hypothyroid signs and symptoms too, like decreased body temperature, low pulse, profound fatigue, and slow digestion.

I have been dabbling with intermittent fasting and ketosis for over a year but have not made any attempts to remain in ketosis over long periods of time. I have noticed that my thyroid levels feel like they fluctuate, but I need to pay more attention as to whether fluctuations correlate with ketosis. It's also possible that my fluctuations have more to do with gut health and the extent to which I am absorbing my medication.
~Anna
4/4 but so much more
Emily C
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Emily C »

Thank you for bringing up this subject. I have Hashimoto's and, becoming newly aware of my 4/4 status, tried Keto on and off this summer and subsequently felt awful. It could have been any number of things - I'm still not sure if I wasn't suffering from "the Keto flu" - but after talking with my doctor, we agreed that Keto was too extreme for me. My doctor didn't attribute it to my thyroid problem, but just that people tolerate different kinds of diets. That said, I do try to limit my carbs to just fruits and vegetables and my range is typically under 50 (I use carb manager app to track). I felt tremendously better (and still do) after adding back some carbs.

Also, just want to provide a link to Izabella Weintz's website, a pharmacist who has written extensively about Hashimoto's. Although she recently gestures to her books and programs too much for my taste, the info she provides seems well-researched and useful. Here is the link to a post she wrote in 2018 about diet guidelines for Hashimoto's. You'll see in the middle of the article that she recommends low carb and explains why. I subscribe to her weekly email, and regularly learn something helpful.

https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/ ... hyroidism/
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

UPDATE: I also figured out something else. I had to switch my thyroid med to the morning since I am taking so many supplements now that interfere with it. I was taking my Levothyroxine with a big cup of 1/2 caff coffee during this time period, also. Turns out that coffee interferes with absorption of Levothyroxine. I asked my doc to check my thyroid levels but he would not since I just had them checked a month ago. Since I felt so crummy, I started eating 2 pieces of fruit per day again (usually an apple and a banana) and added beans back into my diet. The horrible brain fog and fast heart rate stopped within 4 days. I'm not sure that the keto caused all my symptoms but I don't think that diet was right for me. I really tried but I've been a vegetarian since birth (literally-my mom would beg me to eat meat and I would spit it out as a baby) and all that meat was just wrong for me. I do feel quite worried that I am raising my risk level by not doing Keto.
E4/E4
cflegal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cflegal »

I eat a normal diet (MIND) and use caprylic acid to induce ketosis. This may be an alternative approach for you. Google "caprylic" and "thyroid" for suggestions. I feel certain that the caprylic acid reduced or eliminated any candida albicans that I might have had.