Keto Diet and hypothyroidism

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Keto Diet and hypothyroidism

Post by Surupe »

I have been in mild ketosis for 23 days and started feeling really funky on day 18. My memory and speech production is in the dirt and my muscles weigh 1000 pounds. I struggle just to lift my arms and to walk. The brain fog and lightheadedness is really bad. I finally realized today that this is how I felt when my thyroid was out of whack a few years ago. I just did some searching and found that the Keto Diet is not recommended for those that have hypothyroidism (as I do). Any members have any knowledge on this topic?
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Keto Diet and hypothyroidism

Post by slacker »

Surupe wrote:I have been in mild ketosis for 23 days and started feeling really funky on day 18. My memory and speech production is in the dirt and my muscles weigh 1000 pounds. I struggle just to lift my arms and to walk. The brain fog and lightheadedness is really bad. I finally realized today that this is how I felt when my thyroid was out of whack a few years ago. I just did some searching and found that the Keto Diet is not recommended for those that have hypothyroidism (as I do). Any members have any knowledge on this topic?
It's also possible that you have "keto flu." Here's a site that will explain more about these temporary effects from ketosis and what you can do to help transition through them. Are you checking your blood ketone levels to verify that you are in ketosis?
Slacker
E4/E4
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Yes, I bought the strips and have been in Ketosis for 24 days. I had the “Keto Flu” for the first five days but then it went away and I felt fine for 2 weeks. I guess I am quite worried for several reasons: #1 When my thyroid was out of whack last time, I was in and out of the hospital for 3 months with uncontrolled tachycardia. I was getting brain rushes, almost passing out, and feeling generally awful. I had to take 2 months off from work as a teacher because it was happening at work, too. Once my thyroid levels were normal, I started feeling better. I do not want to live through that again!
#2 I am a Special Ed teacher and I have to run long meetings with parents, parent advocates, and other providers. I need to be able to speak properly, which is not happening now. I also cannot do my job with this brain fog. Yesterday was so bad, I had trouble driving.
Can the Keto Flu cause this type of impairment?
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Surupe wrote:Yes, I bought the strips and have been in Ketosis for 24 days. I had the “Keto Flu” for the first five days but then it went away and I felt fine for 2 weeks. I guess I am quite worried for several reasons: #1 When my thyroid was out of whack last time, I was in and out of the hospital for 3 months with uncontrolled tachycardia. I was getting brain rushes, almost passing out, and feeling generally awful. I had to take 2 months off from work as a teacher because it was happening at work, too. Once my thyroid levels were normal, I started feeling better. I do not want to live through that again!
#2 I am a Special Ed teacher and I have to run long meetings with parents, parent advocates, and other providers. I need to be able to speak properly, which is not happening now. I also cannot do my job with this brain fog. Yesterday was so bad, I had trouble driving.
Can the Keto Flu cause this type of impairment?
Welcome from another (retired) special ed. person!

I know well how long and important those IEP meetings are, and how much parents rely on you to present information on their child's strengths, needs and most importantly, strategies that work! That's only one reason why I am gently, but with concern, urging you to call your primary care provider first thing tomorrow--or at least in that rare moment when you can get a break from your classroom! "Personalized medicine" means its personalized to YOUR history, your risks, your knowledge of what works best for you--as well as your provider's best use of tests to measure your thyroid, your EKG, and probably some blood chemistry. All the symptoms you describe sound like huge warning bells--the kinds that skilled teachers know mean: "Take the kids, get out and then find out what happened."

So listen to your own concerns and take yourself to get checked out. And then best of luck at all those IEP meetings!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

NF52, thank you for that sound advice! It may be possible that Keto is not right for me although I really wanted to give it a go. I just ate an apple and a banana after reading your post. Lack of fruit was horribly hard. Since I am a vegetarian, beans and fruit were staples for me.
I am hoping for clarity of mind in the morning! 50 years is too young for that level of brain fog.
I appreciated you last year when you welcomed me to this group and gave me hope. I finally read the End of Alzheimer’s and have had most of the blood tests done. Good news is that there are not many holes to patch! My worst score was Homosysteine at 8.0.
In any event, thanks again for you guidance. I will get my T3, T4 and reverse T3 tested asap to see if any damage was done.
I bet you miss those Special Ed kiddos, don’t you? They are so loveable!
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Surupe wrote: I bet you miss those Special Ed kiddos, don’t you? They are so loveable!
I do indeed miss them!! I was fortunate to work with many wonderful families and staff to support those loveable (and talented!) kiddos, and know that people like you are improving their lives every day!

And for the sake of the many folks with Hashimoto’s/hypothyroid, I hope you can share what you learn about the key nutrients that are necessary for keto for you. Might be a do-able “least restrictive accommodation”!
4/4 and still an optimist!
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Surupe, do keep us posted!

I have hashimoto's thyroiditis as well. I have greatly reduced my carbs and increased my fats, also lengthened my fasting window. I did this slowly and it has worked for me. I am not strictly in ketosis a lot of the time I'm sure, but do feel well when I am in mild ketosis. Let us know how you are feeling and what you find out.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

You might review this site before you have the blood draw for your thyroid panel. It discusses how long after taking your last thyroid medicine you should have your blood drawn.

https://www.pedagogyeducation.com/Acute ... x?news=694
E3/E3 male age 84
Dawnzzoo
New User
New User

Post by Dawnzzoo »

I have Hashimoto's also and would be very interested in what you find out. I'm more than halfway through, "The End of Alzheimer's" and want to learn all I can. It's a great book.
Thank you
GLS18
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GLS18 »

Dawnzzoo wrote:I have Hashimoto's also and would be very interested in what you find out. I'm more than halfway through, "The End of Alzheimer's" and want to learn all I can. It's a great book.
Thank you
Hi Dawnzzoo & A Very Warm Welcome To Our Community!

Knowledge is power, and it is wonderful that you are gleaning information from various sources such as Dr. Bredesen's book and our incredible community.

When considering a keto diet, those with thyroid and/or adrenal dysfunction may find it best to take a cautious approach. As you have Hashimoto's, partnering with a doctor to monitor your thyroid levels is important. You will want to pay close attention to how your body feels, along with your lab results. Every person is different and an individualized approach will support you in finding what best suits your needs. Amy Myers is a Functional Medicine physician with a focus on autoimmune thyroid conditions and she has some interesting articles regarding the keto diet and Hashimoto's/autoimmunity, etc.

In addition to our community forums, there are many brilliant resources on the site to support and empower you. The Primer, beautifully compiled by physician and fellow E4/E4 Stavia, is a roadmap to understanding all we can about the APOE gene. To navigate the site more effectively, The How To Get The Most Out Of The ApoE4.Info Website, will be your guide.

If you would like to share more about what led you to our site, we would to hear about your journey via Our Stories.

Looking forward to your continued contributions and again, a warm welcome:)
Gina
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches Certification Candidate, Fall 2018
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi