Maintaining weight with intermittent fasting

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Maintaining weight with intermittent fasting

Post by Karina52 »

I have started intermittent fasting and have no problem at all having my last meal at 7.00 pm and not eating before 11 or 12 the next day. It's very easy for me to go that long without food. I would actually go longer if I didn't have to worry about weight loss. At 66, I'd rather have a couple of pounds extra than be underweight. I am 5' 7" and weigh 122 pounds which is the LOW range for my height. I weighed 140 until I stopped eating cheese and meat over a year ago. Does anyone have some good suggestions for me to make sure I am eating enough healthy calories in my 7-8 hours of food intake a day so I could maybe even gain a few pounds? Ideally I would like to get back up to 130. Thanks for any suggestions!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Maintaining weight with intermittent fasting

Post by Plumster »

In the Longevity Diet, Valter Longo suggests that if you are low BMI after age 65, it's best to add some otherwise "forbidden" foods like dark chocolate, more fruit, eggs, fish and seafood. He also mentions goat's and sheep's cheese and yogurt as something to consider adding.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Maintaining weight with intermittent fasting

Post by NF52 »

Karina52 wrote:I have started intermittent fasting and have no problem at all having my last meal at 7.00 pm and not eating before 11 or 12 the next day. It's very easy for me to go that long without food. I would actually go longer if I didn't have to worry about weight loss. At 66, I'd rather have a couple of pounds extra than be underweight. I am 5' 7" and weigh 122 pounds which is the LOW range for my height. I weighed 140 until I stopped eating cheese and meat over a year ago. Does anyone have some good suggestions for me to make sure I am eating enough healthy calories in my 7-8 hours of food intake a day so I could maybe even gain a few pounds? Ideally I would like to get back up to 130. Thanks for any suggestions!
Hi Karina,

In addition to Plumster's good suggestions, you may want to check out this great Wiki entry:
Recipes from our members

A number of our members (me included) have used the free "app" Cronometer,which most of us refer to as "Chronometer". It allows you to easily track what you eat. You can set up what kind of diet you are following (ex. high fat/ketogenic, zone, etc) and what your goal weight is. It allows you to see your running ratios of protein, carbs and fats, as well as vitamins, water, etc. Some members have noted that they discovered they had a calorie deficit for their goals, or a protein deficit. (And I'm not affiliated with the company, so I'm sure there are other ways to track your macronutrients as well.)
Cronometer
4/4 and still an optimist!