AD reversals age 77

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Larsmars11
Contributor
Contributor

AD reversals age 77

Post by Larsmars11 »

any AD reversals large or small age 77 (6th year in) ? wife. sure hope so.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: AD reversals age 77

Post by TheresaB »

You should read Dr Bredesen's Reversal of Cognitive Decline: 100 Patients

Dr Bredesen reviews 100 patients by age (from 48 to 86), ApoE status, and diagnosis (SCI, MCI or AD).
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Larsmars11 wrote:any AD reversals large or small age 77 (6th year in) ? wife. sure hope so.
What do you mean by 6th year in? Do you know ApoE genotype?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Larsmars11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larsmars11 »

diagnosed 5 1/2 yrs ago. any reversals any genotype ? her mom had it , but wife cannot spit in little test tube. guessing she has one copy. we used to live in Marin. also, I think we would all like to know what % of people here r having some or a lot of success using some substantial version of the ReCODE protocol. way too many neurologists r skeptical. L.
Larsmars11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larsmars11 »

thanks so much, TheresaB. the article is sensational and should erase any excuses by neurologists and other physicians for not using the ReCODE Protocol approach to cognitive decline in their patients. L.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Fiver »

Hi. Sounds like you already have read Dale Bredesen's book. The article mentioned above is a larger followup to the original paper in the journal Aging which looked at 10 patients (and described the protocol more fully) . You'll find lots of overlap with suggestions here, e.g. on the wiki. Each person's situation is bit different and the programs should be personalized. He has observed that the response of patients tends to be be less with increasing age and stage of the illness. My experience has been that at an older age there are limits on what someone can and will do to follow a program like this. But if they can and are willing there does seem to be evidence that it can be helpful. In my experience you might find better support from other doctors - it makes all the difference to have one who is supportive and would at least run basic blood tests. The health coaches mentioned here on the site and functional/integrative medicine doctors are generally more helpful and supportive. Best wishes!
rebdeb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rebdeb »

after starting with keto diet in december 2017, functional med evaluation with a bredesen doctor in march 2018, fully tested and on various supplements and such by june 2018, new ones added and adjusted november 2018 (and a seizure episode in fall setting back most exercise), my 67 yr old apoe4/4 husband in stage 5/6 has been improving since mid december noticeable to others less sensory sensitivity More words and sometimes sentences - after beibg down to a handful of words, and return of some skills and exec function can wear tie shoes again and tie and double knot them Can bring a dirty dish from table to kitchen without confusion over what us a dish Did not think we would get this far Almost gave up last summer Doctor said needed full 6 months to level off before improvement Nit sure how much mire to expect in this moderately severe stage, but onward! Clearing lead from body and hope as that decreases will get even better results (forgive typos please)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

rebdeb wrote:after starting with keto diet in december 2017, functional med evaluation with a bredesen doctor in march 2018, fully tested and on various supplements and such by june 2018, new ones added and adjusted november 2018 (and a seizure episode in fall setting back most exercise), my 67 yr old apoe4/4 husband in stage 5/6 has been improving since mid december noticeable to others less sensory sensitivity More words and sometimes sentences - after beibg down to a handful of words, and return of some skills and exec function can wear tie shoes again and tie and double knot them Can bring a dirty dish from table to kitchen without confusion over what us a dish Did not think we would get this far Almost gave up last summer Doctor said needed full 6 months to level off before improvement Nit sure how much mire to expect in this moderately severe stage, but onward! Clearing lead from body and hope as that decreases will get even better results (forgive typos please)
Wow, that's great! Thanks for reporting! These kinds of stories inspire us :!: :D
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
laurie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by laurie »

Larsmars11 wrote:any AD reversals large or small age 77 (6th year in) ? wife. sure hope so.
I have made a post about the reversal of my mother in law's Alzheimer's. She is 92. When she was 85 her memory problems began to impact her daily functioning. The progression of the disease has stopped and her cognition continues to improve. She was having sundowners, now we can have lengthy conversations by phone with her in the evening. She recently got a restricted drivers license (drive 2 miles from her home) renewed. She had to take a drivers test and a year ago she passed a written test. We aren't thrilled about this but she did it. So how did she do it?

Several years ago my husband who is a scientist began researching ways to help his mother. He read the scientific literature. When he learned there was no effective treatment he knew he needed to search for a cause in order to find a treatment. Research has reached a tipping point and aluminum is a causal factor of Alzheimer's (read my introductory post). The good news is drinking silica rich water is effective at removing aluminum from your body. My mother in law has been drinking Fiji water for about 2 years - we also eliminated most sources of aluminum from her diet. Dr. Exley did a study of 12 people diagnosed with Alzheimer's and had them drink silica rich water. After 12 weeks of drinking the water 30% showed cognitive improvement and 70% had no further cognitive decline.

Regarding your wife's age and aluminum accumulation here is an excerpt form my husband's book. "AD patients younger than 77 years old have a 64% greater gastrointestinal aluminum absorption rate than age-matched non-AD controls52. However both AD and non-AD people over 77 have similar high rates of gastrointestinal aluminum absorption53. These high rates of gastrointestinal absorption result in faster aluminum accumulation in elderly brains as compared with middle-age brains28,29. Also aluminum in the brain is not uniformly distributed. In the elderly, aluminum is highest in the hippocampus (5.6mcg/gr. dry wt.) and lowest in the corpus callosum (1.5mcg/gr. dry wt.)3. Reference #53 Taylor, G.A., et al.; Gastrointestinal absorption of aluminum in Alzheimer’s disease: response to aluminum citrate; Age Ageing; Mar.; 21(2):81-90 (1992) My husbands name is Dennis N Crouse
Apoe 3/4

"True prevention is only possible by first discovering the cause of a disease such as Alzheimer's."
Dennis N Crouse