Canadian (Toronto area preferred) ReCODE Practitioner needed

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
elaineh
New User
New User

Canadian (Toronto area preferred) ReCODE Practitioner needed

Post by elaineh »

Hello, I am new to the site and looking for a doctor who may have experience with Dr. Bredesen's ReCODE program. Toronto area would be great but any Canadian doctor or clinic would be great. I have already tried Cleveland (Toronto) and they refer back to Functional Medecine in Cleveland.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Canadian (Toronto area preferred) ReCODE Practitioner needed

Post by NF52 »

elaineh wrote:Hello, I am new to the site and looking for a doctor who may have experience with Dr. Bredesen's ReCODE program. Toronto area would be great but any Canadian doctor or clinic would be great. I have already tried Cleveland (Toronto) and they refer back to Functional Medecine in Cleveland.
Welcome, elaineh!
You are not alone in looking for information on doctors with experience with the ReCODE program in the Toronto/Ontario area! Two other new users in the last few weeks have also been seeking the same type of practitioner. I've quoted their posts below, so that the three of you will all be aware of each other's efforts and maybe can share in any information you find. As our wonderful health coach interns have noted, many coaches and doctors allow for telemedicine consults, which could allow you more freedom to select from people in the States, if none are available in the Toronto area. And others have found local doctors who, while not formally trained in the ReCODE protocol, are interested in expanding their knowledge base, helpful in getting as many tests done through insurance as possible, and eager to support people who are invested in their best health!
Richard McG wrote:After spending the last few weeks reading and getting a tad confused in areas.....looking for a Canadian practitioner in the Niagara Falls area Ontario or western New York that could provide some professional help. A number of our tests I would need to be completed are - well just not available in our rationed "Free" universal health care. Closest one I found the primer documents was Rochester NY.
All the best.
jerryb wrote:Rick,
Our practitioner is Dr. Knipping at Deerfields Clinic. Will do a one time consultation for free but nothing is covered under OHIP if you choose to proceed and you must sign up with Bredesen group in States. Jerry
For tips on how to quote members so they receive an email notification of your replies, and how to search for topics, check out our recent addition to the WIKI: How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website

For a list of ApoE 4-aware health care practitioners recommended by our members, including Dr. Lesley James in Rochester, NY (an "easy" 3 hour drive from Toronto--when the roads aren't icy or snow-covered), check this list: ApoE4-Aware Healthcare Practitioners

For suggestions on other ways to find a practitioner, see this topic:
Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner

Fee free to share more of your story and your questions with this group. Like most Americans, we love Canadians!!
4/4 and still an optimist!
CoachJD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachJD »

Welcome elaineh! Have you registered for the RECODE or REVERSE program with AHNP Health and checked their practitioner directory? Right now, it's only visible to registered patients, but I've heard that they plan to open it up to the public in the future. This will show you a list of doctor's to chose from who can shepherd you through the testing and evaluation process, and as mentioned above, you can work with one remotely while getting your lab work done locally. I can't advise you as to how this would work financially given your medical insurance situation, but I can tell you that here in the US much of the lab work is covered by insurance, some is not, and many of the doctors are 'out of network' or cash only.

I hope you'll keep us posted on what resources you and our other Canadian members find, as I'm sure the community would love to share this information widely. Thank you, and good luck!
Joan Dickason, FMCHC
National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach
Reversing Cognitive Decline For Coaches, CertificationPending Fall 2018
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional " Haruki Muraka
momsrh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by momsrh »

Does anyone have a list of practitioner in British Columbia? I've managed to google a couple, but I'm looking for one specifically in Prince George, but open to any others if I can't find that one.
Thanks
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

momsrh wrote: Does anyone have a list of practitioner in British Columbia? I've managed to google a couple, but I'm looking for one specifically in Prince George, but open to any others if I can't find that one.
Thanks
Welcome momsrh!
I did a quick forum search (clicking on the magnifying glass along the upper right of this page) for prior discussions regarding ReCODE practitioners in your area, but didn't see any. You may want to expand on my search when you have a chance in case I missed something. Earlier in this thread NF52, one of our senior support members, had some great suggestions for another new Canadian member (although in the Toronto area) to explore while searching for a practitioner:
NF52 wrote: As our wonderful health coach interns have noted, many coaches and doctors allow for telemedicine consults, which could allow you more freedom to select from people in the States, if none are available in the Toronto area. And others have found local doctors who, while not formally trained in the ReCODE protocol, are interested in expanding their knowledge base, helpful in getting as many tests done through insurance as possible, and eager to support people who are invested in their best health!
Additionally, our Wiki offers advice on ways to search for a practitioner here as well as a member recommended list ApoE4 aware practitioners here. To help navigate our site more easily and effectively, you may want to take a look at our Wiki "How-To" Get the most out of the ApoE4.info website.

momsrh, if you haven't had a chance as yet, I highly recommend browsing through our site Primer. It was written by a member physician and is a wonderful resource for our community. Looking forward to hearing how your search for a practitioner is coming along!
warmly, Lucy
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

momsrh wrote:Does anyone have a list of practitioner in British Columbia? I've managed to google a couple, but I'm looking for one specifically in Prince George, but open to any others if I can't find that one.
Thanks
Welcome to the site! I used the Searching for a Healthcare Practitioner Wiki Page to look for resources for you in BC. On that page is a link to the IFM Find a Practitioner Page. If you put BC, Canada in the search criteria you will find several IFM Certified practitioners with extra coursework that includes Advanced Clinical Training: Reversing Cognitive Decline. This is the Bredesen training for IFM practitoners. Unfortunately, I did not find anyone close to Prince George. They are in Nanaimo, Langley, Port Moody, and Vancouver. If you can't travel to see them, one or more of these practitioners may offer video visits... I hope you can connect.

As a new user, I highly recommend that you review the Primer and the How To Guide. We look forward to your participation on the site.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
momsrh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by momsrh »

Thank you for the advice. I did find the link IFM Find a Practitioner page, but looking at the websites of each of the practitioners, some had no mention of the Bredesen protocol at all, so I'm not sure why they were linked, unless they just didn't mention it which seems weird. I'm traveling right now but when I get back to BC, I'll call each of them and ask. I know there are a few in BC that do mention specifically the protocol, but they weren't linked. I could go to Vancouver, but it is not as convenient, and if possible I would prefer at least the first consultation to be face to face.
Thanks again.
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

momsrh wrote:Thank you for the advice. I did find the link IFM Find a Practitioner page, but looking at the websites of each of the practitioners, some had no mention of the Bredesen protocol at all, so I'm not sure why they were linked, unless they just didn't mention it which seems weird. ...
The IFM training for Cognitive Decline is relatively new. It is possible that the IFM practitioners have completed the coursework to be listed on the IFM site, but they have not yet updated their business websites to reflect the new capability. I personally know a practitoner in the US who is in this position. I'd encourage you to call their offices to ask about their practice, and whether they can do video visits (at least for the follow-ups). Good Luck!!
momsrh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by momsrh »

I've been doing some research and discovered that a Dr. Eugene Okorie is trained in the Bredesen protocol, and lives in Kelowna, BC. Apparently you need a referral from your family doctor. He's doing some on-line and in-person seminars in Kelowna, and his office confirms that he is doing the protocol, but I couldn't find it listed as such. Kelowna has a high population of seniors so I'm sure he has a waiting list, but so happy to find him.
srbogert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by srbogert »

momsrh wrote:I've been doing some research and discovered that a Dr. Eugene Okorie is trained in the Bredesen protocol, and lives in Kelowna, BC. Apparently you need a referral from your family doctor. He's doing some on-line and in-person seminars in Kelowna, and his office confirms that he is doing the protocol, but I couldn't find it listed as such. Kelowna has a high population of seniors so I'm sure he has a waiting list, but so happy to find him.
Its great that you found someone. If you start working with him and find him to be a valuable resource, you can add him to our Practitioner Reviews Section.