Beta-blockers

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Beta-blockers

Post by JudyH »

Did a search on your website and saw some negative responses as well as positive responses on the use of beta blockers.

History -
Strong family history of CAD, mother and grandmother died at 42 of heart attacks. Mother had SVT arrhythmia, I also had episodes of this same arrhythmia beginning at 14 years old. I have taken a beta blocker, atenolol or Tenormin since I was 30 years old for hypertension. At that time, I was a young, thin woman and still had hypertension due to my family history. Currently 58 years old.

I have changed doctors twice in the last 4 years and get the same question - why are you taking this older medication to control your blood pressure? I respond the same every time -

1) In the last almost 30 years, I have only had about 6 break through incidents of SVT, the last being 10 years ago vs 4-10 per year. I like this, a lot, I feel like I am dying when my heart rate is over 200 bpm. I have had cardiology offers to ablate my SVT but thought why would I have someone messing with my heart when it is so well controlled by medication?

2) It lowers my resting heart rate. When I went off it 8 years ago for cardiac testing, my resting heart rate was 108 bpm when prone and 127 bpm when standing. This isn't noticeable to me but not normal. My resting heart rate on atenolol it runs around 70-80 bpm.

3) It gives me decent blood pressure control. I started at 25 mg, went to 50 mg at about age 40 and very recently went to 100 mg. My BP at my last doctor's visit was 116/80 on 100 mg. My last doctor tried twice to add a diuretic instead of increasing my atenolol and both times my systolic pressure fell so far below 100 that there was very little difference between my systolic and diastolic pressure, Both times I felt like I was fading out and had no energy. Stopped the diuretic in less than 7 days both times.

Is there are relationship between beta-blockers and AD? I am actively and successfully working on my insulin resistance to lower my chances of getting AD but it is unlikely that these changes will allow me to stop taking medication to control my blood pressure. I started on them when I was young and very slender. I tell all doctors that I love my beta-blocker and am very reluctant to try another class of anti-hypertensives. Is there any reason I should?
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Beta-blockers

Post by slacker »

JudyH wrote:Did a search on your website and saw some negative responses as well as positive responses on the use of beta blockers.

Is there are relationship between beta-blockers and AD? I am actively and successfully working on my insulin resistance to lower my chances of getting AD but it is unlikely that these changes will allow me to stop taking medication to control my blood pressure. I started on them when I was young and very slender. I tell all doctors that I love my beta-blocker and am very reluctant to try another class of anti-hypertensives. Is there any reason I should?
Hi Judy;

You have a lot of good reasons to continue your beta blocker. Large studies can tell us what is best for the population evaluated, but not for the individual. I did a very quick search on beta blockers and dementia, and didn't come up with anything solid to support a relationship. Maybe a caution about the use of beta blockers in the elderly. For now, it seems reasonable for you to continue on what you are on.
Slacker
E4/E4
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

JudyH wrote:Did a search on your website and saw some negative responses as well as positive responses on the use of beta blockers.

History -
Strong family history of CAD, mother and grandmother died at 42 of heart attacks. Mother had SVT arrhythmia, I also had episodes of this same arrhythmia beginning at 14 years old. I have taken a beta blocker, atenolol or Tenormin since I was 30 years old for hypertension. At that time, I was a young, thin woman and still had hypertension due to my family history. Currently 58 years old.
Happy post-Groundhog Day, JudyH!

I think you sound like a wise woman, who has learned through hard-won experience what works for you. And I wanted to share an apology and some congratulations:
I am very sorry to have quoted your post with the wrong user name in an earlier welcome!! I'll blame my post-bunion surgery brain, which seemed to have drifted down to my right foot for a few weeks!

It seems that you have had a birthday between when you joined on Dec. 27 and now. So as someone with a son and granddaughter who both have birthdays in this wintry period, I hope you found joy in turning 58. (My 6-year old granddaughter, whose birthday is just before New Year's, when asked what she liked most about Christmas, replied "My birthday!" )

Your earlier post supporting another worried user and encouraging her to take small steps (and not be a puppy chasing its tail) was warm, supportive and calm--just what we all strive to be. Your own results after a month of small changes inspired me to do better on my own diet (currently weight-bearing and exercise-free with a walker :( ). Whether you have found current Stoic writers online, you seem to have found the wisdom of the stoics to enjoy the gifts of each day and the joy of the journey, even if the outcome is uncertain.

Enjoy 2019 and being 58 in ways that bring you happiness and purpose, my friend.
4/4 and still an optimist!
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

I am very sorry to have quoted your post with the wrong user name in an earlier welcome!! I'll blame my post-bunion surgery brain, which seemed to have drifted down to my right foot for a few weeks!

It seems that you have had a birthday between when you joined on Dec. 27 and now. So as someone with a son and granddaughter who both have birthdays in this wintry period, I hope you found joy in turning 58. (My 6-year old granddaughter, whose birthday is just before New Year's, when asked what she liked most about Christmas, replied "My birthday!" )
Thank you! I did turn another year older!

Have no fear, it was not you it was me! I did change my user name. I couldn't find a way to do it on my own so I did a search on this site and someone had posted how to email tech support and accomplish that. I tried it and had a wonderful response from tech support and a new name within an hour. By changing to my first name like many of the other members do, I avoid having to say I am female and I enjoy knowing a little bit more about the members by their names or photos.
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos