Disturbed sleep & AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jamal
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Disturbed sleep & AD

Post by Jamal »

Interesting study of REM sleep and blood brain barrier function. According to this, short afternoon cat naps that involve REM sleep could have an important effect on the BBB.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23713739
REM sleep restriction increased blood-brain barrier permeability to Evans blue in the whole brain as compared to both control groups. Brief periods of sleep recovery rapidly and effectively restored the severe alteration of blood-brain barrier function by reducing blood-to-brain transfer of Evans blue. The mechanism of blood-brain barrier breakdown involved increased caveolae formation at brain endothelial cells. In conclusion, our data suggest that REM sleep regulates the physical barrier properties of the blood-brain barrier.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

That is amazing Jamal, thanks.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Hey Jamal, thanks for the references! The REM study is very cool! When I take siestas I start dreaming within minutes, so even if the glymphatic clean-up isn't happening (we still need to figure that part out), something interesting is happening!

GB
Jamal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jamal »

I hope more research is done on this topic, both to confirm this study, and to find out more details of the BBB. It's a fascinating issue with all kinds of hypothetical ramifications. For instance drug delivery through the blood brain barrier is a problem for lots of drugs. Can you just deprive people of REM sleep to help let drugs through?

Also, I've read that a lot of endorphins can't normally cross the BBB. Are things like bipolar disorder related to changes in permeability of the BBB and to REM sleep or lack of it? Who knows, but fascinating to speculate.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

You all are going to think I am crazy but...I am going off topic here...Not sure where to put this,
but in going back and re-reading this whole thread, pausing at Doctor's Lost link of this study regarding apnea and AD:
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/pulmonary/files/ ... tlieb1.pdf

and within this study is the following reference that caught my eye:
Despite the
earlier age at onset of OSAH, some pathologic changes associated with AD can be observed even in
asymptomatic carriers of the APOE E4 allele 26
In pursing this reference 26 led me to a google book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=7zs5gH ... in&f=false

In Google books only part of the book is there, but it reads like a textbook and there was some reference to Estrogen and APOE and several other topics that we have been posting on. It's title (in the event my crazy links don't work):
Functional Neurobiology of Aging
edited by Patrick R. Hof, Charles V. Mobbs
The bad news: the e-book is $232.
Anyway, this book really pulled me in, so to speak...it's only a few hundred pages...with about 300 missing. ;)
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

My cheap blue blockers came in the mail and I've worn them for four nights starting at around 6pm. I have been ZONKED OUT every night. Now, I have to include a disclaimer to say that I've been on a BIG road trip for two weeks (3,461 miles!) and arrived home Sunday, the night I tried my glasses, sooooo, there could be a correlation. But, I kind of doubt it. Anyway, for few bucks, little hassle and making my husband smile every time he looks like at me, it's worth a try. :geek:
Kathleen1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Kathleen1 »

I love to sleep. I can titrate the caffeine to make it optimal. However, work and procrastination leads me to shortchange my sleep about once a week. Last night it was only 4 hours. I know this is wrong, but it is hard to know how to prioritize this badness. Is it minor and "so what" or should I be more strict and keep with the 8 hours 99days out of 100? I never make it up. Is it a short stress that doesn't make much difference/maybe is compensated for by the excellent diet and almost good enough exercise or am I shaving off brain that I cannot get back.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Kathleen thats an excellent question. How strict do we have to be? How fragile are we actually? Its hard finding a balance because today is also as important as tomorrow.
I guess you can only do what you can do honey. And you're already ahead of the pack with your diet n excercise (I'm compromising the latter atm. Can't do everything perfectly every day. )
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

And Silverlining, I'm so pleased! I've been slack with mine and my sleep has suffered.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Kathleen,

My opinion is it is the "drip of days," as my grandmother used to say.

In Dr. Bredesen's program, he pays homage to this as well. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. You just need to do enough things right to raise your "health" level above a threshold.
Tincup
E3,E4