Disturbed sleep & AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Disturbed sleep & AD

Post by KatieS »

Doc, interesting that they only included apneas per hour over 15, which is disregarding mild apnea, 5-10. Here on the West Coast, respiratory interruptions, many times caused by frequent awakenings are included, boosting scores, so these folks will qualify for treatment. In my husband's case, he had frequent awakenings, even requiring sleeping meds for years, until he had the sleep apnea treatment. Although during the CPAP adaptation, he took eszopidone, titrating off over six months, and has remained of sleep meds for years, using only the CPAP.

G, let us know about your study (be sure you sleep even if you have to take a z) and feel free to PM any apnea questions.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gilgamesh wrote:Speaking of sleep, Stavia, I'm thinking of what I said earlier, along the lines of "simply trusting a trustworthy person's wisdom" (that of you and your neurologist), especially when it comes to the "Z drugs": I'm starting to wonder whether the damage caused by not enough zzz's is greater than the damage caused by one of the Z's -- esp. zolpidem, the most benign of the Z's. Nothing else is working. . . .

But I'm scheduled for a sleep study at the end of the month, so perhaps something helpful will be revealed then.
I hear you. I was just being devil's advocate about the sleep association, yes it is probably insomnia causing less nasty brain stuff clearing overnight, just putting it out there that we need to be careful not to confuse association with causation until we have sufficient proof.
For you specifically: I guess the answer will lie in the currently understood magnitude of each association/causation ie is the danger of the lack of zzz's more or less than the danger of the z drugs?
Also - have you tried the blue-blocking techniques? Been a lifesaver for me.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Stavia, I tried a minimal blue-blocking regimen for a month that made no difference. I think it's time to try something more heavy-duty. But I fear it's genetic: people in my family approach the half-century mark and the SCN just breaks down. I may just have to wait for stem cell therapy.... :roll:
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gilgamesh, so your clock is not ticking propery? That's horrid :cry:
I learned SO much from this book http://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php? ... 0674065857
Internal Time by Til Roenneberg, the world leader in chronobiology.
I've been able to help lots of my patients actually non-drug-wise.
I now wear these orange specs from dusk, working like a treat. They mailed them to my country. Better than faffing about micromanaging every input in the house. If I go out at night and don't wear them cos otherwise I'll look like an idiot, my sleep is broken.
https://www.lowbluelights.com/products.asp?cid=18

I guess if I were you and the serious cutting out all blue light didnt work, I'd probably take the teeniest dose zolidem that worked. Zopiclone for instance is able to be cut into eight pieces with a very sharp blade.
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Doctor Lost »

I was given amitryptilline for my IBS and that seems to have cured my Insomnia./sleep apnea. It's still nnot clear why.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Stavia,

Roenneberg's book has been ordered and is on the way!

My previous blue-blocking effort wasn't very thorough, so I'm going to try again. I've got a great pair of blue-blocker glasses back in the U.S. I'll be there in a few weeks, so I'll (somewhat impatiently) wait until I'm back to start the experiment.

The trick is that my problem is early waking, so I worry that blue-blocking in the evening might just make that worse, by shifting my circadian cycle to the east. So what I've been focused on is room-darkening, and finding a melatonin-supplement strategy that keeps or gets melatonin in my system during the later part of the night. But research shows melatonin supps. aren't actually very effective in most people with sleep problems (but for re-syncing, they do seem to work well), so that might be why my various late-night efforts have failed.

GB
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gilgamesh, Maybe the middle of the night waking is due to non-sustained endogenous melatonin? Perhaps the blueblocking will work at switching on your melatonin more effectively. And perhaps eight good hours sleep is ok even if its earlier than you would like, being a lark isnt necessarily a bad thing. I sleep now naturally from 9pm to 5am, or sometimes earlier. It seems to be my internal clock. Ive just adjusted my activities accordingly and dont fret about it. Going out at night mucks it all up tho...but I recover fast.
You could aim for good sleep quality at whatever time your SCN wants and then try shift it carefully and slowly? For us sleep quality appears critical.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

What an amazing thread. I'm learning do much. Thank you :D
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Does anyone else find they really don't tolerate well not having enough sleep? I have always been two people, one when rested and one when not. I look around and see people who seem to take it in stride when they lose sleep. They stay productive and upbeat, while I am a wreck of negativity and non-productivity. Been that way for years, not that I always have trouble sleeping (although I've had some long, nasty stretches), just could never deal with it well. Or maybe it's my AMPD1 deficiency cutting back on ATP on top in trouble sleeping.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I trudge through the day when I've missed sleep. It's awful. My heart breaks for those who regularly struggle. I've learned so much from all of you. I can't wait to try your app, Circ & Stavia's blue blockers :D Thank you!

Regardless of whether poor sleep is an effect or cause of AD; we all need to make impeccable sleep habits a priority.