Results of Testing are in

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Results of Testing are in

Post by Surupe »

Hi everyone,
I finally decided to have my expensive doctor draw labs for my Cognoscopy. Results are in! I am trying to make sense of my numbers and what to do with all this information! I am hoping some experts on here will provide me with some guidance! First, I have to say I've almost given up on my cholesterol. Perimenopause and genetics aren't doing me any favors. I don't eat any processed sugar or any junk food (except mayonnaise with my broccoli)...no chips, crackers, candy, sweets, pasta, bread, alcohol...nothing fun--ever. My total cholesterol went up when I started eating cheese so I guess I'll have to cut that out. Still, my LDL is horrible (1798). My triglycerides dropped from 166 to 157 so I'm calling that good. My HDL is up to 49 which is the best it's ever been. My LDLc is 183 and my nonLDLc is 213. I'm not sure what direction to go since I've tried it all, except Statins, which I will not do. I've tried Niaspan, Cholestid (which interferes with my Levothyroxine absorption), Arthichoke Leaf Extract, Plant sterols and stanols, Olive Leaf Extract, Fish oil, Flaxseed oil and many other supplements all to no avail. i'm now back on the Mediterranean Diet after trying Keto for a month. I exercise most days, weigh 120 and have a BMI of 20. Any advice in this area would be great.

The other areas I am confused/concerned about are:
High DHEA :452 (my hair is falling out and so greasy)
Low Progesterone : 1.2 (with 100mg dose per day)
Low Testosterone: 37 Free: 2.3
Low Copper: 69
Insane Zinc: 1400!! (although I had been sucking on Zinc lozenges for 2 days before the test to get rid of my cold quickly)
High Selenium: 230 (for the month of December, I ate 4 brazil nuts per day)
High Manganese: 22
Not great Iron: 35
Low Vitamin D: 33 (with 2,000iu dose per day) ( I use nicotine lozenges so I wonder if this is stopping absorption)
Low Glutathione: 590

I've done some research but can't really tell which direction to go to fix these numbers. Any experts out there have some ideas for me? I am starting to wonder if my low iron is messing with my copper and manganese levels but I'm not sure. Sadly, I cannot afford for a doctor to look at all of this and give me guidance.

Thanks for any ideas you could give me!! I do appreciate it.
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Results of Testing are in

Post by slacker »

Hi Surupe;

It's incredibly frustrating to have abnormal lab results but the inability to pay for guidance from a knowledgeable practitioner. Is it possible to see them less frequently and still make progress? Equally unfortunate is our inability to give you sound medical advice through an online support site. Each person is unique, and we can not substitute for thorough detailed medical care.

The only simple feedback that I have is that the zinc lozenges most likely resulted in the high zinc blood level, to reduce brazil nuts to one or two a day, and to increase your vit d supplement and make sure you are taking it around a meal that has adequate fat with best absorption. I personally am taking 4000 IU of Vit D3 daily to reach "optimum" levels. It is important to recheck once or twice a year to make sure that you are getting the right amount.

Unanswered questions (that may need addressing with practitioner assistance):
Your trigs still point in a direction of insulin resistance despite your low carb diet. Did you get a fasting glucose or HbA1C test?
Are you still on DHEA supplement?
Why are you on progesterone? You are peri-menopausal, right?
Slacker
E4/E4
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Your trigs still point in a direction of insulin resistance despite your low carb diet. Did you get a fasting glucose or HbA1C test?
Are you still on DHEA supplement?
Why are you on progesterone? You are peri-menopausal, right?

Thanks for replying Slacker!
My fasting glucose is 83 and HbA1C is 5.2...so both within normal limits.
I went off my DHEA supplements 3 weeks ago and I read it can stay in the system for 2. I may wait and have this one drawn again.
I am perimenopausal and I switched to a topical cream for progesterone. Levels dropped when this happened so I think I will go back to oral.

When you increased your D3 did you also increase K2? I am wondering why my body is just not absorbing it. Before I starting taking supplements my level was 40 and now it's dropped to 33 after taking 2,000iu per day. Very strange.

Have you (or anyone) found that taking oral glutathione helps in raising their levels?

From my research, I've read that low copper levels are uncommon. Any idea how to raise them? I am starting to wonder if I'm close to having iron deficient anemia. My ferritin levels aren't great and people that have anemia have high manganese and low copper. It fits my profile.

My doctor in Boulder, Colorado is better than my regular doctor at testing but he's dropped the ball on several occasions. He charges $150 every 1/2 hour and I am not sure I trust him. I went to him because I knew he would order these labs for me without hesitation.

Anybody know of any doctors that are knowledgeable and trustworthy in Boulder, CO?
E4/E4
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Check out our wiki for ideas on finding a health care provider.

I'm pretty sure that other members have asked about providers in Boulder. You could also search the website for "boulder"; use the magnifying glass in the tool bar upper right hand corner.
Slacker
E4/E4