Date Seed and Pomegranate Juice for Cholesterol Reduction

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Date Seed and Pomegranate Juice for Cholesterol Reduction

Post by NewRon »

I decided to try this rather delicious method of cholesterol reduction.

I am using a CardioChek PA analyser and all readings were taken at a Lux of 12 as measured by an app on my mobile phone.

See here for the TG/HDL ratios;

https://www.docsopinion.com/2014/07/17/ ... hdl-ratio/

My figures before Christmas '18 were;

TC 6.4/247
HDL 1.2/46
LDL 4.8/186
TG .7/62
TG/HDL .58

After Christmas and before the start of the experiment, things had deteriorated somewhat;

TC 6/232
HDL 1.37/53
LDL 4.98/193
TG 1.23/109
TG/HDL .89

After using the 2 Medjool dates and the 120mL of pomegranate juice, these figures deteriorated further;

TC 7.24/280
HDL 1.78/69
LDL 4.74/183
TG 1.56/138
TG/HDL .87

After incorporating a teaspoon of ground Ajwa date seed powder, which had been soaked overnight each night in some hot water (as well as the 2 dates and the 120mL of pomegranate juice I'd been taking up to this), the figures yesterday were;

TC 6.58/254
HDL 1.73/67
LDL 4.21/163
TG 1.41/125
TG/HDL .81

So as you can see, the diet did nothing for my LDL and probably raised my triglycerides a bit. However, it did seem to raise my HDL. Also, the TG/HDL ratios are excellent. However, as this measure is just a broad brush, I'm not relying on it as, with my luck, my HDL will be all the wrong type!

I've terminated this experiment. As I've now started taking some herbs for a shoulder/neck problem, I'm not going to do any further testing until I've finished this course of herbs in a week or two.

I then plan on trying citrus bergamot from Jarrow. I'm aware that some on here have had some issues that may possibly be attributed to it, so I'll monitor closely. I will also advise of my results in a similar thread.

One other point, I also did my fasting blood glucose most mornings during the experiment and curiously it decreased slowly from about 5.4/97 to about 4.7/85 toward the end of the experiment, despite the increase in sugar intake from the diet. Additionally, I read somewhere that pomegranate juice is high in a sterol, which may have been the reason for the lack of a drop in LDL.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Date Seed and Pomegranate Juice for Cholesterol Reduction

Post by Jmac »

NewRon wrote:I then plan on trying citrus bergamot from Jarrow. I'm aware that some on here have had some issues that may possibly be attributed to it, so I'll monitor closely. I will also advise of my results in a similar thread.
How did things go with the bergamot? My doc just recommended that I start taking and I'm debating. I saw some threads on here where it caused some brain fog for some. Last thing I need is brain fog! Thanks.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Hi J!

I saw no benefit from the bergamot but I didn't stick at it for long enough to make a proper judgement. I've a neck/shoulder issue that I'm focusing on right now and I need to get sorted, so I can get back to exercise (yuck). My BP is creeping up (135/95) despite my hibiscus tea, so I abandoned the bergamot for a while.

On the other hand, I had no ill effects at all from the bergamot, so I'd definitely try it.

Best of luck!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

NewRon wrote:Hi J!
I've a neck/shoulder issue that I'm focusing on right now and I need to get sorted, so I can get back to exercise (yuck). !
Hey Ron a couple of things that have helped me. First on shoulders is this guy'sapproach. It has made a significant difference for me. For shoulder & neck, working on trigger point release has been a godsend over the years for me and many friends Diagrams are here: I've got 5 or 6 release techniques ranging from massage, ice and stretch, and a variety of others I could expand on, if interested. I've studied these for 13 or so years and as I tend to go down rabbit holes, could send you an email with more than you want to know :)
Tincup
E3,E4
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

@NewRon my sister loves CBD oil/cream for neck/shoulder problems. Chris Kresser recommends Ojai. My sister has also used Theramu. Hope you feel better soon.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Jeepers, thanks for all the suggestions!

That cream sounds great, I'll see if I can get it in Europe, or something similar.

That website is great, Tincup! The two PT guys on the Videos page showed the supraspinatus tendon and I'd an MRI that showed that that tendon may be inflamed. They wanted to do a steriod injection but I'm holding off on that for now, to allow acupuncture/cupping/massage.

Problem originally started during Pilates (I've stopped that) in my neck occiput area and progressed to the scapular area and trapezius. Went to doctors who gave me a physio who gave me exercises to remedy forward head posture and shoulder posture but these exercises triggered sharp pain in deltoid when I abduct my arm laterally, so I stopped attending her after her recommendation of the steriod injection. I've started acupuncture now.

I really need to get this sorted as I'm reluctant to do any exercise in case it makes shoulder worse and we all know where that leads....
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60