Questions regarding lectins

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Berri
Contributor
Contributor

Questions regarding lectins

Post by Berri »

Dr. Gundry emphasizes that we should eliminate lectins. Walnuts, garlic, and many other foods contain lectins. Yet in Gundry's cookbook, he gives recipes with walnuts and garlic, for instance. Could someone please explain why that's okay.

I love walnuts and the fact that they are a brain food. But I can't see taking off that covering. Or (lightbulb just came on) is the lectin in the shell, not the nutmeat???
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Questions regarding lectins

Post by NF52 »

Berri wrote:Dr. Gundry emphasizes that we should eliminate lectins. Walnuts, garlic, and many other foods contain lectins. Yet in Gundry's cookbook, he gives recipes with walnuts and garlic, for instance. Could someone please explain why that's okay.
I love walnuts and the fact that they are a brain food. But I can't see taking off that covering. Or (lightbulb just came on) is the lectin in the shell, not the nutmeat???
Hi Berri!

I'm going to quote part of a post about the diet of one of our Gundry experts (she happens to be a patient of his and an expert on lots of subjects). You can see that she has walnuts herself, and I believe has advised others that depending on your sensitivity to them (and possibly insulin resistance) some people can be less strict than others. At age 84, you may have a very healthy microbiome in your gut! TheresaB will get an email notification of your post, and may offer her own take on your question.
TheresaB wrote:Lectins are in a lot of foods, basically impossible to completely eliminate them, but I reduced my lectin intake by following Dr Gundry's Yes/No list of foods. In essence: no grains, no dairy, no vegetables that are nightshades...

Lunch:
Tree nuts (1 brazil nut for the selenium, macadamia nuts, pistachios, walnuts, a few blanched almonds (the skins have lectins), maybe some pecans
...there are some amazing recipes in Dr Gundry’s Plant Paradox book and his Plant Paradox Cookbook
4/4 and still an optimist!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

NF52 wrote:heresaB will get an email notification of your post, and may offer her own take on your question.
You answered the same as I would.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

TheresaB wrote:
NF52 wrote:TheresaB will get an email notification of your post, and may offer her own take on your question.
You answered the same as I would.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4