Bredesen Protocol with low BMI

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
andresalva
Contributor
Contributor

Bredesen Protocol with low BMI

Postby andresalva » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi everybody. I´m wondering if someone here has faced to start the Bredesen Protocol for some loved one, and that person has a low BMI. Since the protocol involves a change in diet, which will probably mean some weight loss, my concern is that this person will be at risk of having a very low weight that could harness his/her health in some way.

Appreciatte your comments on this regards.

Andresalva

JML
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Bredesen Protocol with low BMI

Postby JML » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Andresalva--you are correct that maintaining weight for a low BMI person is important. I have heard Dr. Bredesen recommend that people who are on the protocol and have low BMI might want to cycle their diet on and off of their keto diet a couple times a week to maintain their weight. (He also recommends lots of macadamia nuts, avocados, etc.)
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE/Bredesen Protocol-Trained Coach

andresalva
Contributor
Contributor

Postby andresalva » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:50 pm

JML wrote:Andresalva--you are correct that maintaining weight for a low BMI person is important. I have heard Dr. Bredesen recommend that people who are on the protocol and have low BMI might want to cycle their diet on and off of their keto diet a couple times a week to maintain their weight. (He also recommends lots of macadamia nuts, avocados, etc.)

Thank s

jerryb
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jerryb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Yes, my wife is APOE4 and is borderline low BMI . Very difficult to maintain weight on keto flex diet. Our morning readings are 2 out of 3 in ketosis. Usuall

jerryb
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jerryb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:53 pm

Usually 1.3 or lower. Many complications because she is IBS-C type and had bad reaction to either female hormone replacement therapy or Bredesen supplements: legs swollen, extreme lethargy and more bowel issues. We have had to discontinue the Bredesen Protocol and the only hope I have at this point is keeping her in ketosis which is hard since I am convinced she has gut dysbiosis or SIBO and working with g.p. to diagnose and treat. Has anyone else had to address gut problems while on protocol? Jerry

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”