Bredesen Protocol with low BMI

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
andresalva
Contributor
Contributor

Bredesen Protocol with low BMI

Post by andresalva »

Hi everybody. I´m wondering if someone here has faced to start the Bredesen Protocol for some loved one, and that person has a low BMI. Since the protocol involves a change in diet, which will probably mean some weight loss, my concern is that this person will be at risk of having a very low weight that could harness his/her health in some way.

Appreciatte your comments on this regards.

Andresalva
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Bredesen Protocol with low BMI

Post by JML »

Andresalva--you are correct that maintaining weight for a low BMI person is important. I have heard Dr. Bredesen recommend that people who are on the protocol and have low BMI might want to cycle their diet on and off of their keto diet a couple times a week to maintain their weight. (He also recommends lots of macadamia nuts, avocados, etc.)
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach
andresalva
Contributor
Contributor

Post by andresalva »

JML wrote:Andresalva--you are correct that maintaining weight for a low BMI person is important. I have heard Dr. Bredesen recommend that people who are on the protocol and have low BMI might want to cycle their diet on and off of their keto diet a couple times a week to maintain their weight. (He also recommends lots of macadamia nuts, avocados, etc.)
Thank s
jerryb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jerryb »

Yes, my wife is APOE4 and is borderline low BMI . Very difficult to maintain weight on keto flex diet. Our morning readings are 2 out of 3 in ketosis. Usuall
jerryb
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jerryb »

Usually 1.3 or lower. Many complications because she is IBS-C type and had bad reaction to either female hormone replacement therapy or Bredesen supplements: legs swollen, extreme lethargy and more bowel issues. We have had to discontinue the Bredesen Protocol and the only hope I have at this point is keeping her in ketosis which is hard since I am convinced she has gut dysbiosis or SIBO and working with g.p. to diagnose and treat. Has anyone else had to address gut problems while on protocol? Jerry