Best macadamia nut source (for keto diet)

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Best macadamia nut source (for keto diet)

Post by Daymoo »

Hi,

I’m having a hard time finding batches of mac nuts that are free of rancidity. I’ve tried Sunfood and Nuts.com (in addition to local places). Anyone know of a better mail order source, or, alternatively, a good local source in the SF Bay Area?

Thanks!
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best macadamia nut source (for keto diet)

Post by ru442 »

I order from here:

http://www.southkonamacs.com/

They have a proprietary shelling method so they don't have to roast them as much, so way more of the good oil stays in the nut. Also the cheapest I can find in bulks at $16 a pound. The nut butter is also awesome. The owner Meris is very responsive... the crop is seasonal, I think they have 2 (one in spring and one in fall) so availability can be limited.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
PeterM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PeterM »

Just want to second ru422’s assessment of South Kona Macs. I went out on a limb and bought 6 lb worth. Cost was just $15.00 lb. I ordered on March 17th and they arrived 5 days later in Rockport MA. They appear to be 95% whole nuts and taste perfectly fresh, or certainly as fresh as the $25.00 lb refrigerated ones at my local coop. Ymmv, as they say. $14.50 total shipping charge, so nuts cost closer to $17.50 lb when all said and done.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

I buy from Nuts.com. They offer raw organic macadamia nuts salted or unsalted by the pound. Kind of pricey at $27 a pound.
E3/E3 male age 84
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Our Costco has them for about $19 for 1.5 lbs. Not the best I've had, but decent price comparably...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Costco now sells a Kirkland brand for similar price, but much better quality. Maybe can order online?
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

mike wrote:Costco now sells a Kirkland brand for similar price, but much better quality.
How does one assess the quality of a macadamia nut?

I'm asking as a guy who had a macadamia tree in our back yard, and cut it down because of all the mess it makes... and the rodents it attracts.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Nords wrote:
mike wrote:Costco now sells a Kirkland brand for similar price, but much better quality.
How does one assess the quality of a macadamia nut?

I'm asking as a guy who had a macadamia tree in our back yard, and cut it down because of all the mess it makes... and the rodents it attracts.
I don't know that I'm an expert, but the old one from Costco had many that were a bit soft, didn't seem fresh. Had some from Safeway that were smaller, but tasted better. Crunchy. New ones from Costco are bigger and crunchy.
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

mike wrote:Our Costco has them for about $19 for 1.5 lbs. Not the best I've had, but decent price comparably...
I don't suppose Costco nuts are organic are they?
E3/E3 male age 84
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

Are you looking for roasted/salted, or raw?

If roasted/salted, I very much like (Kroger) Private Selection Whole Macadamia Nuts with Sea Salt. I've purchased multiple packages and I have trouble limiting myself to an ounce. However, the Kroger "Simple Truth" organic roasted macadamias were awful as were the ones sold at Whole Foods. Our Costco seems to only carry them dipped in chocolate, which doesn't fit my plan. Sadly.