Methylation: how to know you're on track

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Methylation: how to know you're on track

Post by Rainbow »

Hi everyone,

What's the best way to figure out if someone is methylating properly? Is there anything other than testing homocysteine (and the usual candidates, such as folate and B12) that one can do?

I'm also curious to hear from people who improved their methylation and noticed differences in their wellbeing. What were the main things that changed for you?
4/4
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Methylation: how to know you're on track

Post by aphorist »

Only thing I can think of other than homocysteine is MMA for a more direct biomarker B12 status.

I'd really like to know how to best measure choline status.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Is there anything other than testing homocysteine (and the usual candidates, such as folate and B12) that one can do?
You may know this already, but I would want to stress getting sufficient B1, B2, Niacin (or NAD), magnesium and zinc.

The way I got a glimpse of my own methylation status was by taking the NutrEval FMV from Genova Diagnostics, which includes your energy metabolism, creatinine (which will reveal methylation blocks), mma, and a diagram of your Krebs Cycle with your results. It does require you to decode the test yourself (unless you have a doctor who can help). I found online guides (pdfs) that helped me decipher most of the results. I really like the test and would like to take it annually. With insurance it costs $225. With no insurance, the price is pretty outrageous.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

Plumster wrote:You may know this already, but I would want to stress getting sufficient B1, B2, Niacin (or NAD), magnesium and zinc.

The way I got a glimpse of my own methylation status was by taking the NutrEval FMV from Genova Diagnostics, which includes your energy metabolism, creatinine (which will reveal methylation blocks), mma, and a diagram of your Krebs Cycle with your results. It does require you to decode the test yourself (unless you have a doctor who can help). I found online guides (pdfs) that helped me decipher most of the results. I really like the test and would like to take it annually. With insurance it costs $225. With no insurance, the price is pretty outrageous.
Thanks for this!
4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Hi everyone,

What's the best way to figure out if someone is methylating properly? Is there anything other than testing homocysteine (and the usual candidates, such as folate and B12) that one can do?

I'm also curious to hear from people who improved their methylation and noticed differences in their wellbeing. What were the main things that changed for you?
Hi Rainbow,

I discovered recently that the hormones dutchtest by Precision Analytical will tell you/show you how well you methylate in terms of COMT activity and notes whether it is high or low.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR