Surgery

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Surgery

Post by tinamalone »

Hi all, I was examined, had blood work and EKG by a cardiologist today as a presurgery clearance to a total shoulder replacement on 4/11. I went in with my list of supplements and explained that I was APOE4 and employing the Bredesen protocol. She had never heard of the gene or the protocol but was great and asked a bunch of questions and truly wanted to become informed. She said she didn't know most of the supplements but agreed to let me take the ones regarded as safe clear up to the day of surgery. She is allowing me to use my bioidentical hormone cream (Biest; progesterone; and testosterone) both before an after but made me aware of a slight increase in the potential for blood clots or DVT. She said I could stay on Vitamin D3, magnesium and my probiotics. Does anyone else have experience with this? Are there other protocol supplements that are fine up to surgery? I would really like to continue with liposomal glutathione but the cardiologist was unfamiliar. Does it thin blood? I would rather be safe than sorry. I am thinking others have been down this road before. Thanks for any help!

Last night's meet-up in Indianapolis was wonderful and inspired me so! I am still basking in the fellowship and good will. Thank you all! I am so grateful for you!
sealypealy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Surgery

Post by sealypealy »

Indianapolis MeetUp? What’s this about. I live in Carmel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tinamalone
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tinamalone »

Wow! Wish you could have come! It was decided last night that we would continue. Keep track of the message boards under "Meet Ups". I will try to remember to send you a private message next time it happens!
sealypealy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sealypealy »

Thank you. I’ll find the Meet Ups section!

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves, Tina! So fun to spend time with you last night :D. Sealypealy, We'll look forward to having you join next time.

I did a quick search of the site and found many references to surgery. I know this topic has come up before. You may want to poke around and see what you can find in past discussions. I had to have a relatively major (3+hour) surgery several years ago and I learned that it was up to me to figure out which supplements thinned my blood. Nobody had a clue; at least not with enough certainty for me to feel safe. I methodically researched each supplement. Any that mentioned blood thinning, I stopped taking about two weeks in advance. I was surprised to learn how many had this as a side effect. I checked with my surgeon to learn when he wanted me to resume. Best of luck with your surgery, my friend. I'll be sending good energy for the big day. -xo
sealypealy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sealypealy »

Hi Julie and all. I look forward to next time. Molecular diagnostics is one of my things. I’m APOE 4/4 and I see a neurologist annually to assess cognitive function. I’m 57. Need to do more about diet. Looking forward to meeting you all.

slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

sealypealy wrote:Looking forward to meeting you all.
Hi sealy;

Sorry to have missed you. You can find the Indianapolis meetup thread here. You can subscribe to the thread and be notified by email when there are any updates. Instructions on how to do this are here.
Slacker
E4/E4
sealypealy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sealypealy »

Thank you! I’m subscribed [emoji847]