sleep

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: sleep

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote:
If you're dealing with night sweats, I've found the perfect solution (for me) -- the ChiliPad. I've had it on my bed for about a year now and I love-love-love it! It keeps my body temperatures very well regulated and I sleep so much better now because of it. The only down side is when I travel and have to sleep in hotel beds. I can't bring the ChiliPad with me on trips!
I don't have night sweats, but I'm always looking to optimize sleep. Our AC system is antiquated and our bedroom is always too warm for my taste. I just ordered the Ooler, a slightly more advanced version of the ChiliPad. I won't get it till mid-August due to backorders, but I'm curious if anyone else has experimented with this? You can read more about it here.
Hi Julie, and others looking into bed cooling technology~ Just in case you aren’t reading all posts about sleep on every thread, this was posted by The Brain on Tuesday in another thread.
(Big endorsement of Ooler by Chris Kessler, plus discount coupon. )
TheBrain wrote:Here's the web page for an email I just got from Chris Kresser with the subject line: "My game-changing sleep hack."

He's discussing a sleep hack that has significantly improved his sleep, especially his deep sleep. It's not a cheap solution, however.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

floramaria wrote:
Plumster wrote: I have a cheaper version of the ChiliPad that I got on Amazon. It's allegedly more quiet but does not come with a remote control. I don't even notice the noise (like a fan at the lowest setting) and it really does help me sleep. I set it to 71-73F. If I set it below 70, I usually wake up cold.
“Cheaper version” and quiet too? sounds good! Do you happen to recall the name of the pad you have?
I’d love to wake up cold for a change.
It's called the Perfect Sleep Pad. I bought the twin size, since I really don't take up more space on my queen-size bed. You'll have to put a cushion-y mattress cover over the pad and your mattress, because the pad is not comfortable to lie on otherwise. This link says it's currently unavailable. But it's probably available elsewhere on Amazon or on the Internet.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Plumster wrote: It's called the Perfect Sleep Pad.
thanks! I’ll have a look...
NotSure
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NotSure »

Is Your Sleep Cycle Out of Sync? It May Be Genetic

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/well ... netic.html

This seemed to be apropos.

NotSure
4/4
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

I need to buy something to stop the 1:30 am "omg I am so hot" wake-ups. I have some questions -

For those who have used a cooling system for a while, which one do you use?
Do you still like it?
How noisy is it? I wake up if an ant breathes near me.
How do you keep it clean, since you can't throw it into the washing machine?
If I put a dust mite cover over it, which is washable, will the cooling effect still work?

Finally, I found this product interesting
https://get.eightsleep.com/eight-sleep- ... gIg7vD_BwE

but the reviews mention that it does not work when wi-fi is down. That would indicate that it is throwing off EMFs, right? I have an Oura ring and appreciate that I can put it on airplane mode.

Thanks for any feedback.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JD2020 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:47 pm I need to buy something to stop the 1:30 am "omg I am so hot" wake-ups. I have some questions -

For those who have used a cooling system for a while, which one do you use?
Do you still like it?
How noisy is it? I wake up if an ant breathes near me.
How do you keep it clean, since you can't throw it into the washing machine?
If I put a dust mite cover over it, which is washable, will the cooling effect still work?

Finally, I found this product interesting
https://get.eightsleep.com/eight-sleep- ... gIg7vD_BwE

but the reviews mention that it does not work when wi-fi is down. That would indicate that it is throwing off EMFs, right? I have an Oura ring and appreciate that I can put it on airplane mode.

Thanks for any feedback.
Hi JD2020, somehow I missed your post back in October. I decided on the ChiliPad. I went with that (lower price/more basic) rather than their Ooler. For me, it made a huge difference. I was simply too hot to sleep before I got it. I set it to 66 or 67 degrees and found that to really be helpful. I stayed blissfully cool and slept well. Now that the weather is cool I have packed it up until next summer. As for how noisy it is, It is louder than an ant breathing! for me, it is “a white noise” and does not bother me in the least; my husband finds it annoying and will not sleep in the same room when I am using it, unless he is wearing earplugs. He probably couldn’t sleep with an ant breathing nearby either.
It is fully washable in a washing machine.

I have heard generally good things about eight sleep system but I didn’t want to invest that much. Have no idea of whether it relies on WiFi. You could check with the company if you haven’t already. (ChiliPad definitely does not rely on WiFi. )
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

floramaria wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:37 pm [Hi JD2020, somehow I missed your post back in October.
Thanks, floramaria, I appreciate the response. I finally pulled the trigger on the ooler when I saw that it was 25% off. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and am really shocked at the impact on my sleeping. My restlessness score is finally out of the red zone. I guess I was tossing and turning because of being hot. REM is higher. 1:30 is my witching hour, and at 65 degrees, I can sleep through it. I love the wake up feature, warming up my body before I roll out of bed. I think it is noisy and at first thought that that would be a problem, but you are right, it is white noise. I wish I had this thing 10 years ago.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

JD2020 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:36 pm
Thanks, floramaria, I appreciate the response. I finally pulled the trigger on the ooler when I saw that it was 25% off. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and am really shocked at the impact on my sleeping. My restlessness score is finally out of the red zone. I guess I was tossing and turning because of being hot. REM is higher. 1:30 is my witching hour, and at 65 degrees, I can sleep through it. I love the wake up feature, warming up my body before I roll out of bed. I think it is noisy and at first thought that that would be a problem, but you are right, it is white noise. I wish I had this thing 10 years ago.
I am happy to hear that this is working so well for you! Tremendous improvements! Our experiences may help others who are “on the fence”. Your feedback may be especially helpful since you are so sensitive to sound.