Healing the gut

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Christy
Contributor
Contributor

Healing the gut

Post by Christy »

Has anyone focused on healing the gut? Do you have recommendations as to how to do this? I came across this article today in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/heal ... 5559380358
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Healing the gut

Post by TheresaB »

Yes, I've worked on strategies to heal and maintain a healthy gut. I've long thought this is very important. There's a huge gut-brain connection and a bad gut can result in brain fog.

Dr Bredesen talks about "leaky gut" and the importance of a healthy gut in his book, "The End of Alzheimer's."

I've mostly followed the advice of Dr Steven Gundry from his book "The Plant Paradox." I also understand Dr Gundry talks a lot about gut health and maintaining a healthy microbiome in his latest book "The Longevity Paradox" which came out a couple weeks ago. I've not read it yet, just skimmed and gotten tidbits from my husband who has already read it.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

I am convinced this is key, but it’s not always a direct course. There are many things that undermine the biome: heavy metals, stress, parasites, antibiotics, viruses... things like SIBO and yeast can be more superficial layers.

Working with an FM doc has been helpful in unraveling ... For example, I couldn’t tolderate Visbiome, the high potency probiotic, because of bacterial overgrowth. It gave me horrendous brain fog, among other things. My doc prescribed Bacillus Coagulans probiotic for a month to change the ratios or something, and now I can take Visbiome. For the first time in years, I’m able to “be regular” without taking 1200 mg of magnesium/day, and I am sure my cognition will improve. So much potential for healing in this field...

There is a New Yorker piece on fecal transplants that is good, too. I looked into flying to the Bahamas to get a series, but it was prohibitively expensive.
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

I follow Dr Gundry's diet and have read a couple of his books. I appreciate the extreme importance he places on gut health, but I simply can't believe some of his claims about how quickly and easily the gut microbiome can be reestablished and corrected. I listened to Chris Kresser's podcast with Lucy Mailing about how long and difficult it is to repopulate the gut and I shake my head when Dr G talks about his 3 day first phase which he claims get's rid of the bad bugs and leaves the good bugs thriving.

https://chriskresser.com/what-the-lates ... y-mailing/
E3/E3 male age 84
CoachDD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachDD »

I appreciate the research and information offered by Dr. Tom O'Bryan - his website is: www.TheDr.com. He is very straightforward in his talks and offers a LOT of information on his website and more often, on his Facebook page. Best of luck!
Learning to Live (3/4)
Certified Health and Wellness Coach ~ Functional Medicine Coaching Academy