Blood sugar

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jcmainfinity
Contributor
Contributor

Blood sugar

Post by Jcmainfinity »

If I have a good A1c (5) , why is my fasting blood sugar always 92-100? My 2 hr after meal is always below 110.
I just found out I’m a 4/4. I’m super scared, and now have to worry about all of this health stuff. I’m 35! I’m fit , active, eat mostly healthy( yes I eat some sugar)
Is my fasting blood sugar a problem??
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Blood sugar

Post by TheresaB »

We have a wiki on blood sugar, it might help you understand better.

Blood Sugar
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

TheresaB wrote:We have a wiki on blood sugar, it might help you understand better.

Blood Sugar
I noticed that the list of drugs that may affect blood sugar does not include statins. They are notable for increasing blood sugar, Hb1AC, insulin, and new diabetes diagnoses. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ije/2018/8380192/

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20046013

(I am not familiar with wiki-editing, and I don't know what protocol apoe4 chooses to follow when adding information to keep the information of high quality.)
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Creekside wrote:(I am not familiar with wiki-editing, and I don't know what protocol apoe4 chooses to follow when adding information to keep the information of high quality.)
Our current policy is that the first edit is moderated, understandable since we've had some people register and try to write in our wiki about how wonderful marijuana is for cancer (may be true, but can we say off topic) . After that, a member can edit freely, but there can't be too much pride in authorship since its a wiki. The edits can be edited, especially since as you'd mentioned we'd like to keep the high quality, so if it's off topic, has no applicability to ApoE4, or no references have been provided, it might be subject to revision, but otherwise, anyone can edit.

But since you are not familiar with wiki editing, I can add those links to the wiki if you'd feel more comfortable with.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

TheresaB wrote:
Creekside wrote:(I am not familiar with wiki-editing, and I don't know what protocol apoe4 chooses to follow when adding information to keep the information of high quality.)
Our current policy is that the first edit is moderated, understandable since we've had some people register and try to write in our wiki about how wonderful marijuana is for cancer (may be true, but can we say off topic) . After that, a member can edit freely, but there can't be too much pride in authorship since its a wiki. The edits can be edited, especially since as you'd mentioned we'd like to keep the high quality, so if it's off topic, has no applicability to ApoE4, or no references have been provided, it might be subject to revision, but otherwise, anyone can edit.

But since you are not familiar with wiki editing, I can add those links to the wiki if you'd feel more comfortable with.

Thank you for the explanation and the offer. I would appreciate you doing the edit.
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

My aiC is also a 5 and I am also a 4/4
I eat very healtthy and am fit, but I can't seem to get my Aic lower
Is a 5 okay for a 4/4 ?

I ask because I know people with a 4.2, and a 4.5 that are not as fit as I am, yet have a better a1C
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

:!:
Torimintz wrote:My aiC is also a 5 and I am also a 4/4
I eat very healtthy and am fit, but I can't seem to get my Aic lower
Is a 5 okay for a 4/4 ?

I ask because I know people with a 4.2, and a 4.5 that are not as fit as I am, yet have a better a1C
If you read Our PRIMER: An introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies 5.0 is good. Reading the wiki Blood Sugar might also help you understand blood glucose/sugar levels.

But more important than blood sugar is insulin. I think we tend to fixate on glucose levels because it’s so easily measured. We often think that if glucose is low, insulin must be low, but not so. There are no home meters that measure insulin like there are glucometers to measure blood sugar. Fortunately, we do have a good proxy, a ketone meter to measure ketones. If ketones are high, insulin has to be low (assuming no consumption of products for the purpose of raising ketones - coconut oil, MCT oil, ketone salts vs the body making them naturally).
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Torimintz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Torimintz »

My insulin was low, a 4 . but my A1c was a 5

So I guess that is good...but... is the A1c indicative of aging (glycation), ,or is that also really the insulin number.

I am confused at how my insulin can be lower than my a1C

Thanks
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Torimintz wrote:My insulin was low, a 4 . but my A1c was a 5

So I guess that is good...but... is the A1c indicative of aging (glycation), ,or is that also really the insulin number.

I am confused at how my insulin can be lower than my a1C

Thanks
Insulin is a hormone release to deal with glucose - 2 separtate things. Insulin resistance can be calculated if you know your insulin and glucose values. I believe it is done with concurrent measures of both glucose and insulin. A1c is an average, and probably will not work. This link shows how it is calculated

https://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/
Sonoma Mike
4/4
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

Interesting - I looked back at my last fasting results, with Insulin at 3 uIU/mL and my glucose was a whopping 249 mg/dL and based on the calculation my homa-ir comes out to 1.8. Below 1.0 is best, 1.9 = early insulin resistance, 2.9 is significant insulin resistance. After 20 years as a T2D, I had assumed that my insulin resistance would be much worse... I wonder how this equation is affected if I'm not able to produce enough insulin. Though when I was taking insulin, it did not help at all...
Sonoma Mike
4/4