Coconut Oil topically?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Karina52
Contributor
Contributor

Coconut Oil topically?

Post by Karina52 »

Since coconut oil is not recommended for us (I'm 4/4), i am wondering if I can continue to use it as a moisturizer.....after all, it does get absorbed and into the blood stream....
Thoughts anyone?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Coconut Oil topically?

Post by TheresaB »

Topically, coconut oil is fine for ApoE4s. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizer qualities. It can also be swished in the mouth for the oral health benefits of “oil pulling" if so desired.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheresaB wrote:Topically, coconut oil is fine for ApoE4s. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizer qualities. It can also be swished in the mouth for the oral health benefits of “oil pulling" if so desired.
Whenever I read that something being used on the skin is antibacterial I wonder if it kills the healthy parts of the skin’s microbiome.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

after all, it does get absorbed and into the blood stream....
According to Dr. Michael Greger:
Now, we know coconut oil has a lot of saturated fat; so, we don’t want to eat it. But, the saturated fat isn’t absorbed into your skin unless you’re a baby, where your skin is so thin you can actually absorb saturated coconut fat into your bloodstream. But, in older children and adults, using coconut oil on your skin or hair is considered safe.
(source: https://nutritionfacts.org/video/eczema ... -vaseline/)
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR