Keto and thyroid problems

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Keto and thyroid problems

Post by Josiah »

I was recently counseled that my fairly strict ketogenic diet might not be compatible with having hypothyroidism. This is extremely disappointing because I've become so committed to the keto diet as a major plank in my ReCODE protocol platform. How have others dealt with this problem?
E3/E3 male age 84
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Keto and thyroid problems

Post by mike »

Josiah wrote:I was recently counseled that my fairly strict ketogenic diet might not be compatible with having hypothyroidism. This is extremely disappointing because I've become so committed to the keto diet as a major plank in my ReCODE protocol platform. How have others dealt with this problem?
I take a little medication for hypothyroidism, but otherwise do not really pay much attention to it...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

I do, too. My last TSH was quite low after 8 weeks on a ketogenic diet, so my doctor reduced my Synthroid dosage. I'll retest after 8 weeks.

(I have also read that treatment for hypothyroidism might be less desirable in the elderly. I'm not sure of the age for that or whether it is generally accepted.)
JudyH
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JudyH »

It is pretty much a given that keto and hypothyroidism are not a match. If you decide keto is the right road for you, you have to monitor your thyroid numbers and adjust your medications accordingly. One of the biggest issues is that Keto can have a negative impact on the conversion of T4 to T3. Through monitoring, if this is the case with you, you might need to supplement T3 as well as T4.

My method of dealing with this is not to adopt a Keto diet. I am 58, my thyroid numbers are the best indicator of how I feel every day. I convert T4 to T3 very well. That is not something I am willing to risk on Keto diet. I eat a diet that is moderately low in carbs but not low carb. I monitor and watch my added sugar intake and have celiac disease so naturally avoid all the carbs that come in pasta, bread and cereal. I eat fruit daily and rice occasionally and do eat a few carbs daily in GF crackers and such.
e3/e4
No family history of AD, they drop dead of heart attacks in their early 40's!
Celiac and Hashimotos
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

I personally had to stop eating Keto a few months back because it did do a number on my thyroid. I am hypo and suffer from horrible tachycardia when my numbers aren’t right. About 4 weeks into Keto (which I hated) I started getting warning signs that tachycardia was coming back. I stopped Keto and within a week, I felt myself again. I did read that the thyroid needs glucose to function properly in some people.
Good luck!
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Sarah Ballantyne just did a post at the beginning of the month on adverse reactions to keto and talks a little bit about the hypothyroid problem with keto.

https://www.thepaleomom.com/adverse-rea ... n-advised/

And her comment that E4's should not do keto because of increased lipids with less benefits will likely be controversial with some of our members. Because she doesn't do normal inline citations, it's hard to pinpoint what study (studies) she is referencing for that. You'd have to page through her citation list at the end to tease that one out or contact her directly.