How many cans of herring are ok? Sodium Phospate added

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
sandyt
Contributor
Contributor

How many cans of herring are ok? Sodium Phospate added

Post by sandyt »

My labs came back and my Omega 3 index is quite low at 4.5%. I know I should be shooting for 10%. I am trying to decide whether I should supplement or just eat more fish. I eat about two 3 ounce servings of salmon and two packages of "kipper snacks" (herring) each week. I can't afford more salmon, but I really wouldn't mind eating more kipper snacks. The ingredients in the kipper snacks seem to be all natural EXCEPT SODIUM PHOSPHATE. If I increase my intake should I be concerned with the amount of sodium phosphate from multiple cans? Any ideas?????
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: How many cans of herring are ok? Sodium Phospate added

Post by NF52 »

sandyt wrote:My labs came back and my Omega 3 index is quite low at 4.5%. I know I should be shooting for 10%. I am trying to decide whether I should supplement or just eat more fish. I eat about two 3 ounce servings of salmon and two packages of "kipper snacks" (herring) each week. I can't afford more salmon, but I really wouldn't mind eating more kipper snacks. The ingredients in the kipper snacks seem to be all natural EXCEPT SODIUM PHOSPHATE. If I increase my intake should I be concerned with the amount of sodium phosphate from multiple cans? Any ideas?????
Hi sandyt,

Since I don't have a degree in nutrition or bio-chem, I'll just include a link to this article, which states that sodium phosphate is regarded as generally safe for consumption. You may want to read the indications that some people should reduce or avoid high levels of this:
https://www.healthline.com/health/sodiu ... is-it-safe

This entry from our Wiki has suggestions for how to increase Omega 3, including fish and fish oil supplements. Fats, Omega -3 & -6, DHA and More
4/4 and still an optimist!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

And as the wiki talks about, don’t forget to lower your Omega-6 intake because without a decently low level of Omega 6 you can supplement a bunch of -3 for naught because the excess 6 will suppress Omega 3.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
sandyt
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sandyt »

Thanks! I was able to find canned Kipper snacks that didn’t have the sodium phosphate in it. So I think I’ll be more comfortable eating those. I’m very careful about added processed omega 6. I try to never touch processed vegetable oil‘s. The only thing that I do is eat too many nuts probably :-)
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thank you TheresaB and SandyT-- this prompted me to look up almonds' omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. Wikipedia says 2010.8 : 1 :shock:
Can that be right? I have a serious almond butter habit so that's a good heads up.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

chrissyr wrote:Thank you TheresaB and SandyT-- this prompted me to look up almonds' omega 6 to omega 3 ratio. Wikipedia says 2010.8 : 1 :shock:
Can that be right? I have a serious almond butter habit so that's a good heads up.
I checked cronometer, the NCCDB test results for almonds and almond butter (monounsaturated/omega 3/omega 6) are:

almonds: 31.5% / <.01% / 12.3%
almond butter: 32.5% / <.01% / 13.6%

(I'd guess the minor % differences are due to standard variation for different batches of almonds)

So, almonds are a good source of monounsaturated fat, a poor source of omega 3 fatty acids, and as the internet told you, definitely a source of omega 6 fatty acids, although in the mid range for nuts and seeds.

In my (rarely humble) opinion, 1-2 oz of (non-rancid) almond butter a day in the context of an otherwise reasonable diet isn't likely to be problematic. Not that I know what I'm talking about.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

BrianR wrote:... 1-2 oz of (non-rancid) almond butter a day ...
Assuming that the ingredient list for your almond butter is "almonds" and perhaps some salt.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

BrianR wrote:Not that I know what I'm talking about.
Me neither so I'm inclined to agree! :lol:
But I may try to curb the habit of a continual spoonful of almond butter in my mouth.