Copper...nuggets of wisdom

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Copper...nuggets of wisdom

Post by Julie G »

WA, I've created a thread for you to keep all of your copper musings together :D This is important; something I, and many of us here, are struggling with. I've recently begun supplementing zinc, but worry that will drive my pitifully low copper even lower. Undoubtably, metal homeostasis is an integral, yet largely misunderstood, factor in AD. Let's explore it further here.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Copper...nuggets of wisdom

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Sounds good to me, so wherever you are copper nuggets of wisdom you are free to come into this zinc free zone on the count of 3. 1, 2, 3.
By the way I bought some Fiji water today for the fun of it, however whatever benefit it may have became neutralized after I just read it had 6.31 of arsenic in it according to a 8 year old cleaveland municipal water test. I think I can survive the fun and will most likely have to return to arsenic free water if they have not corrected this situation.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

And yes zinc supplementation can drive copper lower on a prolonged basis and can make you sick if the zinc becomes to high as copper is an antioxidant and helps the immune system, I believe in my readings.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Just so you will not worry, I ate a garlic clove to bind the arsenic in Fiji water as well as I ate some broccoli for the sulphur to get at it as well.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hijacking WA's copper thread here....
Just got my copper and zinc levels back.
Disappointingly zinc only 10.4 and copper 17.1. Ratio ~0.6.
I see Chris Kresser and other functional practitioners pluck an optimal ratio of 1 to 0.7 seemingly out of thin air, from a source I cannot find.

Should I supplement? How much? what kind?
I'm philosophically anti supplements for myself (no judgement re what my APOe4 siblings are doing, whatever makes them healthier is great imo and I support them wholeheartedly), just my thing, I'd rather do what I can with whole food.
The copper is prolly because I eat chocolate every day, and seafood most days
(And I tested the day after half a dozen huge oysters).

help pls!
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Lugging around all that Fiji water could put your back out!

I just 20 drops of liquid silica concentrate in a cup of water. No worry about arsenic or other contaminants.

A human clinical trial in AD patients found that many of them had improved cognition while taking silica enriched
water. This is an easy and possibly effective way to avoid AD. It would fantastic if the Buck Institute initiative included amyloid brain scans that might determine whether silica, Ashwagandha, curcumin (among others) actually changed amyloid levels.
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

J11,

How often do you do the silica drops?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Oh, Stavia- not good :? Dr. Bredesen's protocol is already helping you to define areas to work on. That's a pretty severe imbalance. My guess is that it may be time to work on naturally chelating copper, while simultaneously increasing zinc. What a blessing that you are aware of this NOW.

I've repeatedly read that your copper blood level should be 70%-80% of your zinc level, or Cu/Zn at .7/1-.8/1. There doesn't seem to be a lot of debate on this:
http://www.arltma.com/Articles/RatiosDoc.htm
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/zinc-coppe ... ances.html

Here's an interesting article from the WAPF on the topic with a great list of references at the end.
Copper-Zinc Imbalance: Unrecognized Consequence of Plant-Based Diets and a Contributor to Chronic Fatigue
http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-dise ... c-fatigue/
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ya not good :(.
What do you recommend?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, from what I can glean, Vitamin C is the direct antagonist of copper and hence the most powerful chelator. Lots of folks recommend high doses to get copper down. A really conservative starting point seems to be 500 mg. Some sources recommend doses as high as 3 grams.

I know many members here supplement zinc. I think Susan mentioned she was taking 20mg. You know I don't have a medical background, but it seems really reasonable to me for you to do BOTH until you can bring things back in line with diet. Given the severity of your imbalance, you might want to look into Pyroluria. I keep running across references to it in association with Zinc/Copper imbalances...but I'm a self-professed rookie playing with google ;)

So sorry you are dealing with this, but so HAPPY you know in time. (((Stavia)))