It works!!!!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

It works!!!!

Post by Shine »

July last year I was 39 years old & very worried that I was heading towards early onset Alzheimer’s. My maternal grandmother was diagnosed in her early 60s as was my mother. I was starting to worry I wouldn’t even make it to 60.

I was feeling confused, had terrible facial recognition & was finding multi tasking very overwhelming. I had noticed an extremely slow decline over the 12 months prior but it was now interfering with what I was capable of & I felt like I was on the verge of rapid decline.

I randomly came across the name Dr Bredesen, bought his book and went on the hunt to find a trained doctor. To my relief I found one 20min away. He also happens to be the only one in my state.

The first thing he had me do was take a mocha test. The results confirmed what I already knew. I was on my way to early onset dementia. Scoring 23 out of 30 at the age of 39 with 2 young children. The doctor looked worried & was determined to do all he could. My score most certainly represented cognitive impairment.

Fast forward 10 months & the mocha confirmed once again what I already knew. I was out of the woods scoring 29 out of 30! I actually think my cognition is better then it used to be. I was always “bad “ with faces & names & now I’m pretty good.

So what did I do: (this is not advice! Everyone is different)

I had gone on Keto to lose weight about a year before I started worrying about early onset dementia for weight loss. I had transitioned to low carb (as opposed to Keto) by the time I started on this journey & didn’t change anything. So I have been and still do eat low carb but I am definitely not in ketosis (& I cheat some times:)

I never officially signed up for recode as it was expensive & my doctor didn’t think it was necessary. He could just give the tests & determine necessary dosages. I should add that all the tests & appointments are still expensive .

I was given good quality supplements for where I was deficient. I did not take anything that blood tests didn’t indicate I needed.

I am taking:

vitamin D 5000 (I’m very deficient)
Zinc picolinate 50mg, calcium citrate, vitamin B complex, magnesium citrate & omega 3 triple strength.

I try & eat lots of green veggies with my meals or as snacks.

All dosages were based on my blood work.

I also had 2 parasites blastosystis & D. Fragilis. After much back & forth in December last year I decided to treat them. I was already feeling a lot better & decided I was probably healthy enough to take the 4 broad spectrum antibiotics needed over 10 days.

The result after the antibiotics was that the parasites were still there but I felt even clearer then I had been. I decided not to do anything further regarding the parasites.

My doctor thinks I probably felt better after the antibiotics because it either kept the parasites at bay or I had some unknown infection which was killed off. I should point out that I was already feeling “normal”before I took the antibiotics but it definitely gave my memory/cognition a definite boost.

I never got tested for my Apoe status . Partly because with my family history & my mocha score I didn’t need to know whether I was at risk as I already knew that I was. It was also that I was scared out of my mind about what else they might find since I felt like I was spiralling.

While I don’t want to jinx myself as I hope to have a long happy life ahead ....it is scary to think that I could have easily had dementia in my early 40s simply because of a few vitamin deficiencies. Scary stuff!

Now I’m 40 with a 29 mocha score & feeling great! There is hope!!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: It works!!!!

Post by TheBrain »

Awesome story, Shine! Congratulations!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shine »

I should also add that when I was in despair this group provided me with great information & hope. So thank you!
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

Shine wrote:I also had 2 parasites blastosystis & D. Fragilis.
Good Morning Shine and thank you for sharing your inspiring story. I too have been battling Blastocystis hominis and thanks to the question you asked here, have found some relief using the Papaya Seed Protocol. Thank you, Thank you for starting that thread!
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
hellopeaches
New User
New User

Post by hellopeaches »

Hi Shine,

Congrats! That is such wonderful and inspiring news! I'm wondering if you would share the contact info for your doctor - not sure that we're in the same state, but I'm looking for someone to work with my Dad.

Since your doc is familiar with the protocol, it might be helpful for others on the site, too.

Thanks!
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

hellopeaches wrote:Hi Shine,

Congrats! That is such wonderful and inspiring news! I'm wondering if you would share the contact info for your doctor - not sure that we're in the same state, but I'm looking for someone to work with my Dad.

Since your doc is familiar with the protocol, it might be helpful for others on the site, too.

Thanks!
Hi, hellopeaches, and welcome.

While you are waiting to hear back from Shine , I’d also like to share a few resources with you.
Our Wiki has a section on How to find a Healthcare Practitioner, as well as a listing of many practitioners and health coaches who have been trained in the Bredesen Protocol.
If you go to the Wiki, section 9 (Resources) has the lists.
There is also a Wiki entry for How to get the most out of using this website. It has tips like How to quote the person you are responding to, so that he or she will be notified, as I have quoted you in this post, how to follow a thread , how to search for specific information, plus entries on important topics l;Ike ketosis and methylation, to name just two off the top of my head!
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
DebS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebS »

Thanks!
Hi hellopeaches!

I agree with Floramaria that you might find the Searching for a Healthcare Practioner section of the Wiki helpful. You may also want to check out our Primer for a great place to start gathering information if you haven't found it already. The Primer also contains a prioritized list of strategies that may be useful to you.

We would love to hear more about you in Our Stories if you feel like sharing.
Deb
National Board Certified Health and Wellness Coach
Certified Reversing Cognitive Decline
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shine »

Thanks!
Dr Rabinov in Melbourne Australia
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

What a great story Shine! Super example! ...
Shine wrote:July last year I was 39 years old & very worried that I was heading towards early onset Alzheimer’s. My maternal grandmother was diagnosed in her early 60s as was my mother. I was starting to worry I wouldn’t even make it to 60.

I was feeling confused, had terrible facial recognition & was finding multi tasking very overwhelming. I had noticed an extremely slow decline over the 12 months prior but it was now interfering with what I was capable of & I felt like I was on the verge of rapid decline.

I randomly came across the name Dr Bredesen, bought his book and went on the hunt to find a trained doctor. To my relief I found one 20min away. He also happens to be the only one in my state.

The first thing he had me do was take a mocha test. The results confirmed what I already knew. I was on my way to early onset dementia. Scoring 23 out of 30 at the age of 39 with 2 young children. The doctor looked worried & was determined to do all he could. My score most certainly represented cognitive impairment.

Fast forward 10 months & the mocha confirmed once again what I already knew. I was out of the woods scoring 29 out of 30! I actually think my cognition is better then it used to be. I was always “bad “ with faces & names & now I’m pretty good.

So what did I do: (this is not advice! Everyone is different)

I had gone on Keto to lose weight about a year before I started worrying about early onset dementia for weight loss. I had transitioned to low carb (as opposed to Keto) by the time I started on this journey & didn’t change anything. So I have been and still do eat low carb but I am definitely not in ketosis (& I cheat some times:)

I never officially signed up for recode as it was expensive & my doctor didn’t think it was necessary. He could just give the tests & determine necessary dosages. I should add that all the tests & appointments are still expensive .

I was given good quality supplements for where I was deficient. I did not take anything that blood tests didn’t indicate I needed.

I am taking:

vitamin D 5000 (I’m very deficient)
Zinc picolinate 50mg, calcium citrate, vitamin B complex, magnesium citrate & omega 3 triple strength.

I try & eat lots of green veggies with my meals or as snacks.

All dosages were based on my blood work.

I also had 2 parasites blastosystis & D. Fragilis. After much back & forth in December last year I decided to treat them. I was already feeling a lot better & decided I was probably healthy enough to take the 4 broad spectrum antibiotics needed over 10 days.

The result after the antibiotics was that the parasites were still there but I felt even clearer then I had been. I decided not to do anything further regarding the parasites.

My doctor thinks I probably felt better after the antibiotics because it either kept the parasites at bay or I had some unknown infection which was killed off. I should point out that I was already feeling “normal”before I took the antibiotics but it definitely gave my memory/cognition a definite boost.

I never got tested for my Apoe status . Partly because with my family history & my mocha score I didn’t need to know whether I was at risk as I already knew that I was. It was also that I was scared out of my mind about what else they might find since I felt like I was spiralling.

While I don’t want to jinx myself as I hope to have a long happy life ahead ....it is scary to think that I could have easily had dementia in my early 40s simply because of a few vitamin deficiencies. Scary stuff!

Now I’m 40 with a 29 mocha score & feeling great! There is hope!!
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Shine
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Shine »

floramaria wrote:

Thanks!
Hi, hellopeaches, and welcome.

While you are waiting to hear back from Shine , I’d also like to share a few resources with you.
Our Wiki has a section on How to find a Healthcare Practitioner, as well as a listing of many practitioners and health coaches who have been trained in the Bredesen Protocol.
If you go to the Wiki, section 9 (Resources) has the lists.
There is also a Wiki entry for How to get the most out of using this website. It has tips like How to quote the person you are responding to, so that he or she will be notified, as I have quoted you in this post, how to follow a thread , how to search for specific information, plus entries on important topics l;Ike ketosis and methylation, to name just two off the top of my head!
I should add that finding a doctor was not straight forward. First I emailed mpi cognition to see if there were any trained practitioners & I was told there was one doctor but wouldn’t give me their name. After much googling & coming up with nothing (as my dr doesn’t advertise that he is Bredesen trained) I ended up emailing a doctor in Sydney Aus who does advertise that he is trained in the protocol. I asked him if he knew any drs in Melbourne that are trained in the protocol & he gave me my drs details.