Antibiotics helping with brain fog

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
BradleyD
Contributor
Contributor

Antibiotics helping with brain fog

Post by BradleyD »

I’m wondering if any other APOE4’s have had a head clearing effect from antibiotics. I’m a 36 yo 4/4 that has fought near constant brain fog for the last 10 years. I just had a bad case of strep throat and took a zpak and penicillin simultaneously. Miraculously it got rid of the chronic brain fog and the effect lasted for the whole two weeks I was on the medicine. I felt like an entirely different person. As soon as the antibiotics were stopped the fog came right back. I also ironically get a short term head clearing effect the day after drinking clear alcohol (vodka, gin). All I can put together is that anything that wipes out my gut bacteria helps my brain fog and memory. Has anyone else with E4 noticed this other than the last poster and myself? I’m cautiously optimistic I may have accidentally discovered a fixable problem. Maybe we really are just getting slowly poisoned by our gut bacteria as some studies have suggested and our E4 makes us especially prone to it. If so, we need to figure out how to fix it in a lasting way.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Antibiotics helping with brain fog

Post by TheBrain »

In November of last year, I was diagnosed with hydrogen sulfide SIBO. I took two rounds of herbal antibiotics and one round (for two weeks) of a prescription antibiotic (Rifaximin). The symptom that improved the most for me has been what could be called “brain fog.” I’ve typically referred to it as “mental fatigue.” My symptom improvement has continued beyond taking the Rifaximin, but I was also doing many other things to treat the SIBO and am now doing things to heal my gut.

I wonder if you might have SIBO or some other kind of gut infection that was helped by the antibiotics but in the end wasn’t fully treated.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

I am 3/4 and have struggled with brain fog/ brain fatigue. I was also diagnosed with hydrogen SIBO. Rifaxipim didn’t seem to help
at the time. Diet changes (FODMAPS) helped somewhat. I truly wonder if there is a connection. I also have had in the past
dysautonomia of unknown origin. Symptomless but low standing blood pressure.
Most recently it was discovered that I had a failed root canal and bone loss due to severe chronic infection that caused no symptoms
due to loss of nerve with root canal. I am Meticulous about my oral health. Cleanings every 3 months very healthy gum tissue.
This back molar became pressure sensitive and my dentist didn’t think it possible that that tooth could be a problem.
Fast forward another year. An infection cropped up out of blue in that tooth. A 3D ctscan showed extensive damage complete bone
loss that when tooth was extracted there would be communication with my sinuses. My oral surgeon said this was a very extensive
infection that had been going on for a very long time draining into my sinuses. Also on penicillin for initial infection, amoxicillin a day before surgery and 7 days after and finally a Z pack that seems to have really helped with brain fog. My blood pressure is returning to normal and bloating
is going away.
There is much research on failed root canals and health. They are undiagnosed by routine xrays. They are usually discovered when an infection finally erupts at surface for an unknown reason!
Just a thought for you all!
Daymoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Daymoo »

pguyer807 wrote:I am 3/4 and have struggled with brain fog/ brain fatigue. I was also diagnosed with hydrogen SIBO. Rifaxipim didn’t seem to help
at the time. Diet changes (FODMAPS) helped somewhat. I truly wonder if there is a connection. I also have had in the past
dysautonomia of unknown origin. Symptomless but low standing blood pressure.
Most recently it was discovered that I had a failed root canal and bone loss due to severe chronic infection that caused no symptoms
due to loss of nerve with root canal. I am Meticulous about my oral health. Cleanings every 3 months very healthy gum tissue.
This back molar became pressure sensitive and my dentist didn’t think it possible that that tooth could be a problem.
Fast forward another year. An infection cropped up out of blue in that tooth. A 3D ctscan showed extensive damage complete bone
loss that when tooth was extracted there would be communication with my sinuses. My oral surgeon said this was a very extensive
infection that had been going on for a very long time draining into my sinuses. Also on penicillin for initial infection, amoxicillin a day before surgery and 7 days after and finally a Z pack that seems to have really helped with brain fog. My blood pressure is returning to normal and bloating
is going away.
There is much research on failed root canals and health. They are undiagnosed by routine xrays. They are usually discovered when an infection finally erupts at surface for an unknown reason!
Just a thought for you all!
Wow, thanks for this. I’m considering the same surgery, and my primary chronic many decade gut problem is bloating— to imagine that the surgery could affect that is fantastic. (I’ve also tried SIBO and antiparasitic treatments with little effect.)
How would the NICO cleanup address GI issues? Through some kind of increased parasympathetic tone or...?
Existence/is neither/a right nor//privilege/nor any//thing but
a/miracle. -Cid Corman
pguyer807
Contributor
Contributor

Post by pguyer807 »

Hi Daymoo,
Update, I think Somehow my sympathetic nervous system is out of whack. I had a period of feeling better and have regressed.
Not sure how this is all related but my oral surgeon thought this root canal was cracked when it was done 10 years ago , maybe
more.
I also have candida and Aspergillus fungus that shows up on stool tests and organic acids. These oral infections, according to pub med articles,
can be caused by bacteria and fungus. My infection ,according to dr, was probably draining into my sinuses. My dr didn’t culture anything. I am Currently on compounded Amphotecrin b and no sugar diet
and yeast protocol. I think once again things seem to be improving.
I really think root canals can truly be an issue. I have 2 remaining. One is on the top which can cause sinuses to be involved. My genome has
some things that cause excess candida. I am a non-secretory as well.
It’s a battle for sure!
Natasha
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Natasha »

Yes, but then I have Lyme disease. IV Rocephin completely brought my brain back. Unfortunately my doctor wanted me to be on it for a year but my insurance would only cover one month. Oral antibiotics don't help when it comes to my brain.