Helping your hippocampus

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Helping your hippocampus

Post by SusanJ »

Turn off your GPS, and get lost sometimes.

Ditch the GPS. It’s ruining your brain.

Here's the Nature article he references.

Having just moved to a new city, my hippocampus is getting a major workout! :lol:
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Helping your hippocampus

Post by TheresaB »

I've been told to get lost before. Gosh I had no idea they were actually trying to help me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheresaB wrote:I've been told to get lost before. Gosh I had no idea they were actually trying to help me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Creekside
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Creekside »

I do pretty well getting lost when I travel...but here on the Front Range, anytime I see the mountains I know which way is west! :lol:
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Having watched students who are legally blind learn how to navigate by mental maps, I am in awe of the capacity to do that. However, in rush-hour D.C. or Boston traffic, I don't want to have to access my hippocampus when construction has blown a hole in my mental map. Those folks in London weren't contending with double-decker buses in their virtual exercise.
4/4 and still an optimist!
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

This is good for me as I have a bad sense of direction (also runs in the family). Nevertheless, I have never owned a GPS but always use maps because:
  • I love maps
    I feel like using a map improves my sense of direction (wires my brain, so to speak)
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
WhatNext
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by WhatNext »

Having gotten horribly lost many times throughout my life, having Google Maps on my phone has felt life-changing. That said, I realized a while back that I've become so dependent on it that in spite of having driven to my son's in-laws' house MANY times I still wasn't confident I could get there without navigation. I've started trying to be mindful of the route and making a memory challenge of it. Not saying I'll turn off the navigation though, just in case. I live in the DC metro area and you never know when something is going to roll over on the Beltway and you're going to need an escape route.

WhatNext
thjj
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thjj »

WhatNext wrote:Having gotten horribly lost many times throughout my life, having Google Maps on my phone has felt life-changing. That said, I realized a while back that I've become so dependent on it that in spite of having driven to my son's in-laws' house MANY times I still wasn't confident I could get there without navigation. I've started trying to be mindful of the route and making a memory challenge of it. Not saying I'll turn off the navigation though, just in case. I live in the DC metro area and you never know when something is going to roll over on the Beltway and you're going to need an escape route.

WhatNext
I know what you mean by becoming dependent on your gps. I think it was several years ago on the news, there was a group of women in an suv who weren't paying attention to the road but entirely on their gps, that they ended up literally driving into a lake!
· • She/her · • ·
ApoE4/4 status known: 2018 | Born: 1969 | Cognitive Impairment: none
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

I love this line from the Washington Post article : And by turning our attention to the physical landscape that sustains and connects us, we can nourish “topophilia,” a sense of attachment and love for place.
I am now adding topophilia to my list of favorite new words!
I have always loved getting off well-known trails, exploring and finding new routes when I am hiking. Good to know that I am improving my hippocampus and nourishing my topophilia as well as having fun.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

floramaria wrote:I am now adding topophilia to my list of favorite new words!
I thought that was just an elevation map of Philly... :lol:
Sonoma Mike
4/4